Aug 18, 2019, 10:00 PM
Headed down the far side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver
I finally got brave enough to try out the Cessna 182. She's actually a pussycat in safe compared to the Cub. My biggest issue is the area across the street I'm flying in is roughly half the size of a football field surrounded by tall trees. Hoping to be able to put the Cub away before the motor gives up although I did buy a spare... ...just flew the Cessna in 7+ mph wind with ease. Cub will not hardly do that!
Hey Luver,

Congratulations on your success with the Cessna; I was confident you would find it to be a "pussycat" as you noted above. Now that you have flown the Sport Cub S as well as the Cessna 182, would you concur with my sentiment that the Cessna may be a most worthy choice as a replacement for the Sport Cub S with folks new to RC flying? I loved having the Sport Cub S to learn that I could actually fly, but the Cessna just seems like a better choice for that purpose today. Again, congratulations and enjoy your Cessna.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2019, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wile
Hey Luver,

Congratulations on your success with the Cessna; I was confident you would find it to be a "pussycat" as you noted above. Now that you have flown the Sport Cub S as well as the Cessna 182, would you concur with my sentiment that the Cessna may be a most worthy choice as a replacement for the Sport Cub S with folks new to RC flying? I loved having the Sport Cub S to learn that I could actually fly, but the Cessna just seems like a better choice for that purpose today. Again, congratulations and enjoy your Cessna.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Hard to say. Having flown the big Timber on the simulator many times and I'm sure the UMX version will be very similar I think it would be the best choice for most since with flaps it can fly SLOW and still be very easy to handle. Plus it also comes with leading edge slats than can be installed or left off for even slower ability. With a large enough area the Cessna would also be a great starter but that plane can boogie under full throttle and needs a lot more room to really enjoy than what I have immediately available. It can also fly slow but shines in higher speed flight. If the Cub had a bit more motor it would be perfection but it has a hard time getting out of it's own way not to mention the motors tend to not last long. Never had much love for Horizon Hobby Quadcopter stuff but these plane are a winner!!!! I will likely convert the Cub to brushless at some point since I have several receivers and motors laying around unused but for now I'm going to enjoy the Cessna and the Timber once it arrives.
Last edited by tnriverluver; Aug 18, 2019 at 11:37 PM.
Aug 25, 2019, 11:34 AM
I'm really enjoying the little Cub this nice calm morning and have gotten pretty good at it and taking it through it's somewhat limited paces. She has been a great learning plane! She has the battle scars to prove it too lmao! Completely broke the nose off and cracked both wings one early flight a while back. Surprisingly the motor still seems to be purring with about 3 dozen flights and even after many nose crashes and once bending the prop shaft which I managed to get back straight. The new UMX Timber should arrive tomorrow and along with the Cessna 182 I'm starting to build confidence with , the Cub s will likely be retired for the most part while it's still nice and flyable. I can highly recommend this little slow flying plane to new pilots especially if like me you have a somewhat tight area to fly in. It has taken quite a while to get confident enough to fly the Cessna whose slowest speed is probably close to the Cub wide open down in the confines of the tree surrounded area I 'm flying in currently. Most of my Cessna flying has had to be 150 feet or higher to open it up and put it through it's paces. Gets difficult for old tired eyes to see at times.
Last edited by tnriverluver; Aug 25, 2019 at 12:21 PM.
Aug 26, 2019, 11:37 AM
OMG beginners buy this instead!!!! So much easier to handle and with full flaps down will fly slower than walking pace. Definitely worth a few extra dollars over the Cub!!!
Last edited by tnriverluver; Aug 26, 2019 at 08:18 PM.
Sep 11, 2019, 11:20 PM
I have 107 flights on my Sport Cub s now. I had to replace the motor after flight 89.....and that's all I ever had to do to it. It was my second plane in 2016 when I got into RC. Almost lost it to the wind once due to being up too high and the battery died. A series of dives and stalls got it back to my landing area with no motor! Only had a few flights this spring....mostly into warbirds now. But the old Sport Cub s is still a great plane!
Sep 16, 2019, 06:07 PM
OR65 Eagles Nest
Working on rebuilding/repairing a Sports Cub S that I recently received as part on a lot purchase I made .
Today I was able to finish getting the tail back together , it had been completely broken off I didn't want to spend a lot on this so I just ordered some foam tack and took my time and carefully went to work .
After getting the tail back on and fairly straight I swapped out the main wheels for a larger set that I had been holding onto for some time .
I still need to get the motor mount glued back in place and the prop installed then I can close it up and get it ready to fly .
I plan on using this SCS to teach a friend and his 5 year old son to fly with here at the house . Then once they can safely fly this on a buddy box I will move them up to an Apprentice . They already own a Hobbyzone Supper Cub and a Parkzone T28 they just need to learn to fly them .
Last edited by motorhead540; Sep 16, 2019 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Add pictures from phone
Oct 14, 2019, 10:01 AM
I have a Spektrum DX4e from a Delta Ray. Would there be any chance that I could use that transmitter with a BNF Sport Cub S?
Oct 14, 2019, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade
I have a Spektrum DX4e from a Delta Ray. Would there be any chance that I could use that transmitter with a BNF Sport Cub S?
It should bind right up. I think that's what the RTF versions shipped with. Just make sure to be a few feet away from the plane when you try to bind. These planes don't bind a lot of the time if you're too close to them.
Oct 14, 2019, 01:17 PM
OR65 Eagles Nest
Also they tend to like to have the tail slightly elevated so the fuse is sitting level when binding ...
Oct 14, 2019, 05:26 PM
Thankyou for the tips with regards to binding. Have many people here attached light weight action cameras to the Sports Cub S like a Mobius or 808? I know that larger planes would normally be used for aerial filming due to the extra stability they provide. Though have some folks managed to get decent onboard footage from this Cub?

I know my Delta Ray would be a more logical choice for mounting an action camera but it has this frustrating issue of turning by itself in the same direction on every flight. Might be trimming related perhaps but if so, I haven't been able to trim it successfully. I'm constantly having to fight against it's strong desire to turn, risking a fly away.
Oct 14, 2019, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade
Thankyou for the tips with regards to binding. Have many people here attached light weight action cameras to the Sports Cub S like a Mobius or 808? I know that larger planes would normally be used for aerial filming due to the extra stability they provide. Though have some folks managed to get decent onboard footage from this Cub?

I know my Delta Ray would be a more logical choice for mounting an action camera but it has this frustrating issue of turning by itself in the same direction on every flight. Might be trimming related perhaps but if so, I haven't been able to trim it successfully. I'm constantly having to fight against it's strong desire to turn, risking a fly away.
There was an FPV camera VA1100 designed specifically for that plane and sometimes turn up on EBay. Discontinued. This little camera has it's on battery and will record unlike the other camera mentioned but doesn't offer FPV. Weight is identical nearly to the VA1100 so the Cub will carry it no problem and it works decent. There are many other similar ones on EBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digita...72.m2749.l2649
Yesterday, 09:18 PM
I fly mine on a DX4E. That and 7-8 other Horizon micros,and a 48" Super Cub!

Quick Reply