HobbyZone Sport Cub S RC Plane, RTF-BNF - Page 599 - RC Groups
Apr 19, 2017, 08:11 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
DonRhone, My flying Bud and I used to have the DX6i TX's until we bought the DX9's.

Anyway, my Bud's DX6i went afoul in seconds. He crashed two of his favorite planes right in a row. His F4U and ICON A5 We called it a day. Days later he went on his Phoenix sim to keep sharp. He then realized he had no rudder control I tried my TX and everything was ok.

IMHO, I wouldn't put much faith in a DX6i. There are many better TX's out there at a good price. I do like Spektrum though

Mike.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2017, 08:13 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
teflon, John, You Guys are nuts. LMAO
Apr 19, 2017, 08:16 PM
Chap. Yep.
On my DX6i, it really really matters which way the flexible transmitter antenna is pointed... both when binding and when flying.
Just one more thing to keep track of-- so I bought a DX6 Gen 3.
Last edited by juanito; Apr 20, 2017 at 05:04 AM.
Apr 19, 2017, 10:48 PM
Totally comfy and doing great with a used DX6i I got for $50 about 4-5 years back when I realized the dreadful range limitations of those RTF toy radios by losing control of a couple Champs.

I'd like to give a plane (probably my SCS) and a radio to a beginner friend, which would mean replacing my DX6i, and certainly upgrading to something newer/better. Honestly, I don't anticipate needing more than the 10 available models (of birds) I have now.

I routinely fly 2 planes and 2 quads. Any better quads I get (probably DJI) will come with dedicated radios. And I'll continue to stick with parkflyer fixed wing Styrofoam planes on par with my J3 and Carbon Cub. So I don't believe I'll need to get much more sophisticated radio-wise than what I use now.

With that said what do you guys feel would be a logical step up in the Spektrum lineup for me, without every new bell and whistle - and the higher price for many features I'll never have the time to explore?

Thanks in advance.
Apr 19, 2017, 11:23 PM
Walked away from all landings
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239
Totally comfy and doing great with a used DX6i I got for $50 about 4-5 years back when I realized the dreadful range limitations of those RTF toy radios by losing control of a couple Champs.

I'd like to give a plane (probably my SCS) and a radio to a beginner friend, which would mean replacing my DX6i, and certainly upgrading to something newer/better. Honestly, I don't anticipate needing more than the 10 available models (of birds) I have now.

I routinely fly 2 planes and 2 quads. Any better quads I get (probably DJI) will come with dedicated radios. And I'll continue to stick with parkflyer fixed wing Styrofoam planes on par with my J3 and Carbon Cub. So I don't believe I'll need to get much more sophisticated radio-wise than what I use now.

With that said what do you guys feel would be a logical step up in the Spektrum lineup for me, without every new bell and whistle - and the higher price for many features I'll never have the time to explore?

Thanks in advance.
I would advise going for the Spektrum 9, however the Spektrum 8 if money is an issue. You will outgrow the Spektrum 6 before long.

The way the new planes are being designed and the new electronics I would not settle for less than eight channels. Even the new Eflite plane require 7 channels for their SAFE Select if you want the option of being able to turn SAFE off and on at your leisure, otherwise you need to rebind the plane each time you fly, one bind for just the AS3X and another binding sequence for the SAFE Select feature on. Do able, but bothersome.

If you want to forgo the SAFE Select route and go for one of the new Lemon receivers, which are compatible with the Spektrum DSMX radios and perhaps a third party gyro you will most likely need more than 6 channels.
Apr 20, 2017, 01:01 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito
Chap. Yep.
On my DX6i, it really really matters which way the flexible transmitter antenna is pointed... both when binding and when flying.
Just one more thing to keep track of-- so I bought a DX6 Gen 3.
Dang John, too bad you couldn't bite the bullet and went with the DX8 or maybe even the DX9.

Teflon, I agree with DonRhone. I would get the DX8 if the DX9 is out of your reach (wallet).

Mike.
Apr 20, 2017, 01:09 PM
Chap... all things in moderation.
Apr 20, 2017, 10:56 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito
Chap... all things in moderation.
Very true John. Especially when drinking alcohol

When I had my DX6i and, also knowing my Buds 6i failed him loosing two planes. I knew I had to make a choice in a new TX. Something that would accomplish my needs for years to come. The DX9 was a simple choice. I may not need all the bells and whistles (right now) but, it's nice to know you have this stuff if you happen to graduate to bigger and better aircraft, etc. Not just bigger but, better. This is why I went balls to the wall and got the DX9. This will be the last TX I will ever need...period

Happy Flying All

Mike.
Apr 23, 2017, 08:13 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
my thoughts (first batch of links in this post)...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1022
May 04, 2017, 06:40 PM
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I have a dx6i too. It's pretty solid. The 10 model limit is a bit low and the spin wheel to change models is a bit cheap but it's not bad. If I had to go back a 2nd time I would get a Dx6. It's a considerable upgrade from the 6i and it's 200 versus 130. I have a buddy who really likes the 6. I am sure the 7, 8, and 9 are great but just a bit out of my budget.
May 04, 2017, 07:13 PM
Keep Looking Up
"This will be the last TX I will ever need...period"

You say that now...
May 04, 2017, 10:38 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange90
I have a dx6i too. It's pretty solid. The 10 model limit is a bit low and the spin wheel to change models is a bit cheap but it's not bad. If I had to go back a 2nd time I would get a Dx6. It's a considerable upgrade from the 6i and it's 200 versus 130. I have a buddy who really likes the 6. I am sure the 7, 8, and 9 are great but just a bit out of my budget.
The DX6i sucks. In case you missed my post, a Bud of mine crashed 2 of his favorite planes. Come to find out, after he was sharpening his skill on the Phoenix Sim, he quickly realized his rudder was banking left without input. He kept crashing planes on his Phoenix. I brought my TX up and tried that. NP Come to find out it was his DX6i. Upon hearing this I bought a DX9 and never looked back

Mike.
May 09, 2017, 03:37 AM
Aside from the tx, im hyped. Thinking about getting one today.
May 17, 2017, 09:47 PM

Bought A New Sport Cub S & Arrived Yesterday!

I bought it off a member on here and can't wait to get it setup for the maiden flight! It's too windy today so hopefully I can fly her tomorrow or later this week! I

This thing was brand new, sealed and everything and I appreciate the great deal Kyle!

Oh yeah...here's some pics you've never seen (lol)...

pictures upload

pictures upload
May 18, 2017, 08:14 AM
Finally got out to fly for the first time this spring, and apparently I no longer have a functional rudder on the SCS. Fortunately I'd grabbed my Whipit as well, so I still had something to fly.

I'm going to have to dig into it, maybe this weekend: I'm not even hearing servo noise, so I'm fearing the servo may have failed. If so, I'll probably have to shelve the plane for now... It's been an unexpectedly expensive few weeks, and a new receiver is not going to be high on my spend list.