Jul 16, 2014, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkielsen
Please Dave, tell us about motor/gearbox in this Sports Cub.

John
+1

Please!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2014, 07:46 PM
RC Aviation Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizz
+1

Please!
A please from me, too...
Last edited by John234; Jul 17, 2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Reworded post.
Jul 25, 2014, 05:31 PM

Old glow flyer confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Please don't use the MLP6DSM transmitter on any park flyers. "MLP" stands for "Micro, Low Power," and you won't have the range you need to fly safely. And by park flyers, I mean anything not ultra-micro, such as the new ParkZone Sport Cub (red & white one), or the P-51D we just announced.
Newbie here. I flew 40 & 60 size glow balsa for 5 or 6 years back in the 80s. Then kids and life happens and well you know how it goes. Was recently introduced to electrics and my how things have changed! Purchased an Ember 2 to fly around the decent-sized back yard. After getting the kinks out of the thumbs it's been reaaly fun (and convenient). Looking for my next plane and interested in the Sport Cub or the Spacewalker (probably both). Anyway, the above statement perplexed me. I've got a couple of old Futaba FMs hanging around somewhere so I'm not totally up on the Spectrum binding deal. I kind of liked the original poster's idea about using the RTF transmitter to fly other planes. But it sounds like Dave is saying that the supplied transmitters shouldn't be used for small "park flyers". Maybe it's mistyped or I'm just misreading or just plane confused (yeah, that's a pun). Thanks for the help.
Jul 25, 2014, 05:44 PM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
Quote:
Do you have a float plane? If so, go to the lake, attempt a hand launch toward the lake, then "accidentally" throw your transmitter instead. Viola!
or he could "accidentally" mail it to me.
c'mon Rampage, you know you wanna.
Jul 25, 2014, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoetec
...But it sounds like Dave is saying that the supplied transmitters shouldn't be used for small "park flyers". Maybe it's mistyped or I'm just misreading or just plane confused (yeah, that's a pun). Thanks for the help.
If you read the quote again it is quite clear. MLP is for UltraMicros and not anything larger.
Jul 25, 2014, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoetec
it sounds like Dave is saying that the supplied transmitters shouldn't be used for small "park flyers". Maybe it's mistyped or I'm just misreading or just plane confused (yeah, that's a pun). Thanks for the help.
The rtf transmitters are very low range, so anything other than the slow flying micros they are supplied with will run them out of range very quickly. IMO they're just barely adequate even then.

Park flyers (a loose designation)can be 3 and 4 foot wingspans and will be out of range practically right after takeoff.

I think most would recommend a dx6i as a great first radio if you're considering moving forward in the hobby and want to fly anything that you're not likely to keep within a hundred feet. Even the cheaper, non-computer dx4e and dx5e will give 10x the range of the little rtf ones.
Jul 25, 2014, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the clarification, gerwen. I didn't make the distinction between Ultra Micros and Park Flyers.
Jul 26, 2014, 09:07 PM
They call me Lipo.....
Park Flyers are any models 2 lbs. or less, and fly slower than 50 mph....as per the AMA's definition...
Jul 27, 2014, 02:46 PM
**** this ****
Quote:
Do you have a float plane? If so, go to the lake, attempt a hand launch toward the lake, then "accidentally" throw your transmitter instead. Viola!
Hi dave, I have a rather important matter that doesnt relate to this thread. I cant send you a pm so if you could please shoot me one.
Jul 27, 2014, 07:56 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkielsen
Please Dave, tell us about motor/gearbox in this Sports Cub.

John
Same motor as the AS3Xtra.
Jul 27, 2014, 08:16 PM
Thank you Dave. Its getting cheaper. Is it possible to program the new SAFE brick.

John
Last edited by johnkielsen; Jul 28, 2014 at 08:12 AM.
Jul 28, 2014, 06:42 PM
Andres Lu
Quote:
Same motor as the AS3Xtra.
Hmmm.....to me, this is not good information. I've had 3 AS3Xtra's before, and all 3 had junk motors. They work ok for 15 flights, and then.....you don't even have enough power to take off. I may have just gotten really unlucky, but many others have said the same thing.

-Andres
Jul 28, 2014, 07:19 PM
joker,
What motor are the AS3Xtra pilots using as a replacement?

Edit: Please disregard the question. If I buy (have one on pre-order) will treat the motor issue same as the Champ...replace it with P51 or one of the other replacements (which are in the parts drawer and mounted to a gearbox.)
Last edited by allelectrik; Jul 28, 2014 at 07:46 PM.
Jul 28, 2014, 07:44 PM
Jul 28, 2014, 08:50 PM
Andres Lu
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik
joker,
What motor are the AS3Xtra pilots using as a replacement?

Edit: Please disregard the question. If I buy (have one on pre-order) will treat the motor issue same as the Champ...replace it with P51 or one of the other replacements (which are in the parts drawer and mounted to a gearbox.)
Actually, that is a great question. Most guys are using a CL-0820-15 from MMW (Micro Motor Warehouse). I have one in my AS3Xtra too, it has great power now. Cheaper, lighter, more reliable, longer lasting, and more powerful than the stock AS3Xtra motor (23 x 8.5mm). The 0820 is 20 x 8.5mm so it fits perfectly without any need for tape. MMW is also coming out with a CL-0820-17 motor, which is the same size (20mm long), but has even more power due to the higher kv rating.

Hope this helps,

-Andres