May 07, 2015, 03:08 PM
2016 The Year for Air Shows

Today's sortie debrief

Arrived at the AMA Club a little past 9 am. Winds calm, cool temperature, a little thermal activity. First flight had exclusive airspace & flight planned for 16 min at altitude with the flight logger. Camping chair placed under the shade & pilot strapped in, cleared for takeoff & off we went. Nice gentle long flight legs touring the field. Kept cutting back power as I felt I was getting some thermal activity. Blue hazy skies. Nav streamers provided better visibility & orientation. Did not dare blink or look away. Razor focused on flying the plane. At 16 min I started a power off spiral in intermediate mode, full rudder & aileron. Descend rate was 14.8 feet per second (10mph / 16kph), nice & smooth. Seemed like a very long 57 seconds. Nice power off glide below 200 feet AGL to a spot on wheels down landing. Knew I had gone high during the flight, but how high?

click on the picture to see the answer
it's the height of the Eiffel Tower

Name: AMA Club Altitude Sortie.jpg
Views: 121
Size: 42.8 KB
Description: AMA Club Altitude Sortie

P.S. I think the high altitude made me blow a piston ring, time for a new motor, lol.
P.S.S. Oh I forgot, my HK Retro Jr has an altitude meter, today's flight registered 1025 feet AGL
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; May 13, 2015 at 06:00 AM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2015, 03:32 PM
I tell ya Red....You have incredible eyes to be able to spot that "Little Dot" in the sky....
Sounds like a great flight. JEALOUS.... Still windy here.....
May 07, 2015, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers
Arrived at the AMA Club a little past 9 am. Winds calm, cool temperature, a little thermal activity. First flight was scheduled for 16 min at altitude with the flight logger. Camping chair placed under the shade, cleared for takeoff & off we went. Nice gentle long flight legs touring the field. Kept cutting back power as I felt I was getting some thermal activity. Blue hazy skies. Nav streamers provided better visibility & orientation. Did not dare blink or look away. Razor focused to flying the plane. At 16 min I started a power off spiral in intermediate mode, full rudder & aileron. Descend rate was 14.8 feet per second, nice & smooth. Seemed like a very long 57 seconds. Knew I had gone high during the flight, but how high?

click on the picture to see the answer
Attachment 7844244
Thats awesome! I've always wanted to put an altimeter on mine to see how high I really am when I take her up. I would love to know how high I'm up at 2:17 of this video:

Hobbyzone Sport Cub S2 "Sky Eye" - The Wings of Unity II (4 min 59 sec)

She was just a dot at that time.
May 07, 2015, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
Thats awesome! I've always wanted to put an altimeter on mine to see how high I really am when I take her up. I would love to know how high I'm up at 2:17 of this video:

https://youtu.be/bSXdRc_-7Rs
She was just a dot at that time.
You were up there. High altitude mission accomplished!

If you want to check out the flight logger that can be modified down to 1.8 grams
=> https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2368873

or you can modify an altitude meter to 3.6 grams, but I prefer the logger as it can be moved between planes much easier & it is lighter.
=> https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2319807

I am working on modifying the HK HD Wing camera & will most likely mission a SC to carry it for geo missions (with the logger). Need to remove the cam battery & power from the SC to get the payload under 20 gram. Short flight times are ok for these missions. One of my many projects.
May 07, 2015, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers
You were up there. High altitude mission accomplished!

If you want to check out the flight logger that can be modified down to 1.8 grams
=> https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2368873

or you can modify an altitude meter to 3.6 grams, but I prefer the logger as it can be moved between planes much easier & it is lighter.
=> https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2319807

I am working on modifying the HK HD Wing camera & will most likely mission a SC to carry it for geo missions (with the logger). Need to remove the cam battery & power from the SC to get the payload under 20 gram. Short flight times are ok for these missions. One of my many projects.
Awesome! I'll look into it when I get off of work.
May 07, 2015, 04:46 PM
Ok I found one CCD cam what weights only 10grams. Do you think it could be fitted front of cub S without big problems? Fpv kit what spektrum sells weights 4.5 grams if I remember correct.
May 07, 2015, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopup1
Ok I found one CCD cam what weights only 10grams. Do you think it could be fitted front of cub S without big problems? Fpv kit what spektrum sells weights 4.5 grams if I remember correct.
She'll carry up to 20 gram ok, payload, larger battery, floats, FPV, repairs, etc. The key is to place the camera & battery in such a place where you get the Center of Gravity you like. The extra weight has to be balanced on the roll axis. How about making a foam wedge to place the camera above the wing or below the belly?
May 07, 2015, 07:33 PM
Hey guys I ordered some hyperion 550 batteries thinking the ones that have the middle white plug was the same size as the e flite battery but these are bigger Is there an adapter i can get ?
May 07, 2015, 08:03 PM
Here
May 07, 2015, 08:05 PM
EFLA7002UM is the product number
May 07, 2015, 08:15 PM
So I will be able to use that on my charger and plane awesome thanks
May 07, 2015, 08:21 PM
Yes
May 07, 2015, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamskido76
Now that is a tough 1 haha also sbach and the cc on the list! Then their is that shop with a nice new PNP daddy Stryker! That Gee Bee looks messed up man, have you had a fly and if so is it any good? I watched the flight test vid of the umx habu lol that is a funny vid
I have not maidened the GeeBee yet, but you will love Habu as your first EDF. I still need to maiden my Daddy BNF Stryker too! PNP Daddy Stryker will be great with Orange or Lemon Stabilizer!
May 07, 2015, 10:02 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikxxx
Hey guys I ordered some hyperion 550 batteries thinking the ones that have the middle white plug was the same size as the e flite battery but these are bigger Is there an adapter i can get ?
shorter one
http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=299

or you can shorten the E-flite adapter
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2707

both use the same gauge wire (26AWG)
May 08, 2015, 11:34 AM
Awesome thanks guys

Quick Reply