Apr 12, 2015, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood
Love this plane but could use a little more power and definitely more flight time. I have three of the stock batteries and they suck IMO. I barely get 3-4 minutes even now when it is not cold.

I have a few 5043 props laying around so I will put one on. Recommendations for a better battery for this new prop?

Thanks,
Pete
Any larger quality cell will add more flight time. I like Hyperion 550's. They're heavy, though affecting flight characteristics. Personally, I like the changes they cause (a bit nose heavy when mounted so they fit in the "box" and a tendency to lunge). An improvement in the wind IMHO.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2015, 03:56 AM
My Stock batts are the same complete pants, back in the day when my Cub was allowed in the skies(a week ago!) I liked my Miniaviations 220 mah or if you can't get those maybe the Batman can help you out?

Sorry guy's if you bothered watching the football based on my suggestion as it was 1 if not THE worst game we have played all season! No passion no desire no hunger and to rub it in the opposition's manager was the guy who we got rid of last year! 2 shots on target all game says it all POOR POOR POOR sorry guy's but Homer said he had a great day!....

Back to the Cub.......Still waiting for an email from HH or a call back! I left them a message a week ago and they have not bothered at all! Off to check my emails now....
Apr 12, 2015, 04:42 AM
KnowWhatIMean
Well possibly the cold worn them down, timefor you to get a better one that will allow you that run time. bigger does not mean better, or a better brand as well, just time for a new bat?
Apr 12, 2015, 08:51 AM
HX4
HX4
UAS: FA33XLR7CL
Quote:
Love this plane but could use a little more power and definitely more flight time. I have three of the stock batteries and they suck IMO. I barely get 3-4 minutes even now when it is not cold.

I have a few 5043 props laying around so I will put one on. Recommendations for a better battery for this new prop?

Thanks,
Pete
Hyperion 550s @ ~14.5gm for 20 minutes or longer of flight time under +40F conditions. The Hyperion 130s @ ~3.5 gm for flights that are couple minutes longer than the stock EFlite 150s. Hyperion 160s @ ~4.5gm. For a compromise of weight vs. time. Other options, but may require modifying the battery compartment.

Fly using only the 550s and the 5043. Bit of a pig of an SCS due to multiple repairs. Beginner flyer flying usually in windy, turbulent, gusty conditions.
Apr 12, 2015, 09:27 AM
I find the Electrifly 250mah battery perfect for the Cub. I had 3 of them from my destroyed Fly Zone P38 (Where they powered 2 engines for several minutes) and although you have to cut a little foam on each side they have the same Molex Pico Blade plug as the Eflite. They are Only $5 at HZ ?
Apr 12, 2015, 10:56 AM
Jack of all, master of none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Graham
Thanks, North! I'll give it a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
easy fix

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3185

subscribe to both threads so you don't miss anything
It worked! Thanks again, North.

The only problem I'm having now is getting the aileron throws dialed in. I've been unjust the trims digitally and manually with the u bends. It seems I just can't get them equal though. Looking at the the servos, it looks like one returns to center better than the other. If I adjust too much then the other one is not right. Maybe the throws were like this before and I just didn't notice? I'm not sure.
Apr 12, 2015, 11:00 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:

Thanks,
Pete
If you want a batt that will provide considerably more power than you get with a fresh E-flite 150 without a noticeable increase in weight, that also lasts for ~300 cycles before it starts to fade away, definitely pick up some Hyperion 160 mAh UM cells. Stay away from the Hyp 130 mAh cells, as they have been discontinued. Some vendors still have old-stock, and are selling the Hyp 130s at clearance prices. But LiPos begin to degrade immediately after they're manufactured, so you don't want old-stock cells. If you want more power than the Hyp 160s, much longer flights, and don't mind adding a bit of weight, contact RCBabbel & order some of his custom ultralight Hyperion 550s with the UM connector. (The factory Hyp 550 is heavier & also requires an adapter.)

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9
Apr 12, 2015, 11:45 AM
2016 The Year for Air Shows

Debrief report 04 12 2015 SC Status 2

what a beautiful day! Put the umx Rad II up first for a two motor ~ 20min run, but that story is for another forum. Then up went SC Stratus II (hyper 550) . Hey with 20 min on the timer, I first tossed it around, a little of this, a little of that.

Then decided to go visit some faraway lands. Flew parallel to a full scale civil plane (dont worry, he was higher & away). Stratus II was enjoying himself when at 19 min I decided to cut the throttle, figuring on a 2 min glide to wheels-down. OMG, he just stayed at altitude, maybe went higher. Looked for sink to no avail. Finally at 22 min I did a (beg) spiral. Not sure if he lost altitude, maybe a little.

OK, no problem mate, well go to full down elevator (beg). Still hard to tell if I was losing altitude. So I put him into a (int) spiral. Now I lost some altitude. Back to full down elevator (beg) glide. At 26 min I finally had to put him into an (exp) tight spiral. Finally, lost some real altitude. Arrived at the terminal at 27+ min.

Oh boy, that was a long & challenging sortie but fun.

No cam or flight logger . After 2 sorties lasting 47 min, I was done.

P.S. Just got the refuel invoice. Stratus 2 arrived with 3.4% fuel in the tank. The total fuel fill was 425 mah of a 440mah practical capacity (80% of rated). The fuel tech suggested I get the fuel gage checked as it was indicating 20% fuel left (based on a volt meter), it may need recalibration when using a deep discharge battery. See => https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2120222 for additional information.

Below is an audio report of the flight (download & unzip the file)

for a debrief report on a 13+ thermal sortie with the umx Radian => https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post31326594
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Jun 24, 2015 at 10:03 PM.
Apr 12, 2015, 01:02 PM
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers
what a beautiful day! Put the umx Rad II up first for a two motor ~ 20min run, but that story is for another forum. Then up went SC Stratus II (hyper 550) . Hey with 20 min on the timer, I first tossed it around, a little of this, a little of that.

Then decided to go visit some faraway lands. Flew parallel to a full scale civil plane (dont worry, he was higher & away). Stratus II was enjoying himself when at 19 min I decided to cut the throttle, figuring on a 2 min glide to wheels-down. OMG, he just stayed at altitude, maybe went higher. Looked for sink to no avail. Finally at 22 min I did a (beg) spiral. Not sure if he lost altitude, maybe a little.

OK, no problem mate, well go to full down elevator (beg). Still hard to tell if I was losing altitude. So I put him into a (int) spiral. Now I lost some altitude. Back to full down elevator (beg) glide. At 26 min I finally had to put him into an (exp) tight spiral. Finally, lost some real altitude. Arrived at the terminal at 27+ min.

Oh boy, that was a long & challenging sortie but fun.

No cam or flight logger . After 2 sorties lasting 47 min, I was done.
Wonderful, sounds like two great flights! I'm sure you've had the SCS keep gaining altitude, too. I know I have! Lots of fun.
Apr 12, 2015, 01:25 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Graham
It worked! Thanks again, North.

The only problem I'm having now is getting the aileron throws dialed in. I've been unjust the trims digitally and manually with the u bends. It seems I just can't get them equal though. Looking at the the servos, it looks like one returns to center better than the other. If I adjust too much then the other one is not right. Maybe the throws were like this before and I just didn't notice? I'm not sure.
Get them as close to neutral as you can using the U-bends first with no radio trim, your left/right aileron adjustments are independent that way (unlike the radio trim because both ailerons are Y-ed to a single channel, if you radio trim it'll affect both ailerons in opposite directions but one more so than the other, see below).

And, of course, there is differential built into the servo programming, so, when actually in use you won't see equal up/down deflection, but you probably know that (or is that maybe the behavior causing the confusion over what you're observing?). There will be significantly more UP aileron than DOWN aileron when in use.
Last edited by North_of_49; Apr 12, 2015 at 01:40 PM.
Apr 12, 2015, 01:31 PM
I got an SCS for Christmas, and I finally got to fly it today. I think I have a new favorite plane... I was pretty nervous since my previous attempts at real-life 4ch have not ended well, but after the first battery I was flying the SCS in advanced mode. The only real problem I had was that the wind kept changing direction, so figuring how to say upwind of myself was quite a challenge.

I flew through six batteries, with a couple of hard landings, but only a few outright crashes. It looked like I was running around 4 minutes per battery, but my 150mAh packs have been fairly thoroughly abused, and I probably ought to think about replacing most of them. It was also chilly out... mid-50s, probably, and by the time it warmed up above 60 the wind was too strong to enjoy flying.

It was fun morning, hopefully the first of many!
Apr 12, 2015, 01:38 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Skipper, I just edited that last post with more info.
Apr 12, 2015, 02:53 PM
I'd rather be flying!
The best method of initially trimming this plane is as follows:

1) Measure the CG & adjust it to ~27mm aft from the LE.

2) Zero your tx trims.

3) Connect the batt & let the plane initialize.

4) Switch to advanced mode, but do not engage the stab/aug system by advancing the throttle.

5) Mechanically trim all surfaces so that they're visually neutral.

6) Switch to whichever mode you're most comfortable with. Make sure it's calm, then fly!

7) If you're comfortable with briefly flying in advanced mode, establish straight & level flight at ~50% throttle in the mode you're most comfortable flying (make sure you're at least a few mistakes high), then switch to advanced mode & see how the plane behaves. If the wings stay level & it just flies straight ahead, you're done. If it starts to bank, skid, climb, or dive, use tx trim as needed to make it fly straight & level. Then switch back to your most comfortable mode & land.

8) Disconnect the batt, then connect it again & let the plane initialize. Do not advance the throttle. Switch to advanced mode, then disconnect the batt. Note the deflection angle of the control surfaces.

9) Zero your tx trims & transfer any tx trim to mechanical trim.

10 ) Take the plane back up, establish level flight @ ~50 % throttle, then switch to advanced mode again. Note the plane's behavior, and fine-tune for level flight with tx trim, if needed. If it only needed a couple standard-size clicks or so, you're done. If it needed more than 3-4 clicks, repeat steps 8 & 9.

Once you do the above, the plane will be trimmed for straight & level flight in advanced mode, which is the only mode that doesn't force the plane to fly level hands-off or have a mix that complicates flight-triming. Attempting to flight-trim the plane in beginner will mask the symptoms of the trim and/or CG being off, and intermediate mode has built-in mixes that also complicate the issue.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Apr 12, 2015 at 05:21 PM.
Apr 12, 2015, 03:01 PM
Jack of all, master of none
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
Skipper, I just edited that last post with more info.
Thanks, I think I got it pretty close now. One aileron was going higher than the other and I was having trouble getting them about equal. I just went for a test flight and I'm back in business.

I think I'll stick to flying over land with the SCS for the foreseeable future. If there is ANY wind it likes to turn over too easy on the floats, and then you have to wait for everything to dry out. In this case the servo got reversed too. Not worth the hassle.

As for reversing the servo, I was able to use a small twist tie like what would come on a loaf of bread.
Apr 12, 2015, 03:23 PM
2016 The Year for Air Shows
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
The best method of initially trimming this plane is as follows: ...
Thanks, another great one by the great one. Immortalized & linked on my
Build Log: umx Sport Cub S2.

Quick Reply