Jul 08, 2014, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
Help!

with Custom Tail Blades

Hello,

My problem is my scale helicopter tails would not hold properly. I need some wider chord tail blades since I cannot go with longer blades due to a horizontal stab that is in the way.

If anyone would be willing to make me some tail blades for the heli please PM me and we can talk about compesation

Thanks,

AJ
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2014, 08:56 PM
You can probably get some plastic blades (KBDD for example) of the right chord (they will likely be too long and too thick at the root) but you can cut them down to fit without too much trouble. Just make sure you balance them after.
Jul 09, 2014, 06:14 PM
FA3PR9WM79
I hate to say this, but I've been down this road. I'm going to assume this is a 450, and because you "upgraded" to a 4 blade head, you have changed the power system (motor/pinion/ESC) to lower the head speed. The root problem is, a 450 is not a good platform for a multiblade head. This stems from the fact that you cannot purchase a safe and reliable 450 size multiblade tail rotor.

You cannot purchase said tail rotor because they cannot be mass produced. They cannot be mass produced because of size and other mechanical constraints. Basically speaking, the 450 TR shaft and hubs are too small and cannot handle the blade loading and the centripetal and centrifugal forces, and the few that were manufactured have been known to fail catastrophically during spool up.

With that being said, you have two options:

1. Cobble together a cascaded TR.
2. Go back to a "normal" 2 blade head and power train.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to dust my 5 blade head...
Jul 09, 2014, 06:19 PM
A man who delivers.(packages)
little birds and their scale rotors...like others said...get bigger blades and "customize" them...

*hands toolbox*
Jul 09, 2014, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
The Heli is a 600, I think I'm gonna take some 450 blades and cut them to size and increase the head speed a little. Right now it's at 1380 ill bump it up to about 1450.
Jul 09, 2014, 06:43 PM
banging head on wall
Some of the scale guys are using MCPX main Blades they fit the grips with no mods. Use just have to trim the length and width and get the balance right . I think the last pair I made were about 1/8" larger than stock pro tail blades in both dimensions mabe a bit more . These were for a A109 with 4 blade rotor I didn't want to do the cascading tail on it and stick to two tail blades for scale . You might find more info in the scale heli section. I have built cascading tails before also there are a couple of builds in the scale section also with pictures . Good luck
Sorry I noticed you added its a 600t not 450 my bad LoL .
Jul 09, 2014, 10:00 PM
Its a tiny picture, but looks like you might want reverse the tail rotors rotation. Then the grips might need flipped around to get the pitch range correct. Hard to say without a better picture of the tail. Combine that with less pitch/more rpm on the main rotor, and you might get it to hold ok.
Jul 10, 2014, 06:08 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja1216
The Heli is a 600, I think I'm gonna take some 450 blades and cut them to size and increase the head speed a little. Right now it's at 1380 ill bump it up to about 1450.
RC Aerodyne has 3 and 4 blade TRs: http://www.scaleflying.com/Multi-Bla...ors_c_168.html

I realize you want to maintain a scale look, but sometimes we need to compromise.

Had I known then what I know now, I would not have wasted time and money trying to build a 450 Hughes 500 "Little Bird" with a 5 blade head.

Besides the TR issue, the bird is too tail heavy. Adding enough weight to get the thing balanced pushed the over all weight up so much the aircraft would barely break ground. The TR would not hold the nose straight, and no matter what I did, the thing was not air worthy.

As a result of this fiasco, I am the proud owner of a 5 blade rotor head, a set of scale blades, and a 2700Kv motor that I cannot use.

At this point I am in to process of reverting back to a "standard" 2 blade FBL head.
Jul 10, 2014, 06:11 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob
Its a tiny picture, but looks like you might want reverse the tail rotors rotation. Then the grips might need flipped around to get the pitch range correct. Hard to say without a better picture of the tail. Combine that with less pitch/more rpm on the main rotor, and you might get it to hold ok.
Roger that. Having the blades moving up into the main rotor wash is preferred.... The net effect is an increase in TR thrust...
Jul 10, 2014, 06:14 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
450 TR blades on a 600 heli? I'm thinking you need to go bigger, not smaller...
Jul 10, 2014, 08:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer
450 TR blades on a 600 heli? I'm thinking you need to go bigger, not smaller...
Sorry I meant to say get some 450 main blades and cut them to size. This would increase my chord by 5mm and with increasing the headspeed another 100 rpms it should increase the tail around 400 rpms. Fingers crossed!!!
Jul 10, 2014, 11:35 AM
Thread Lurker
So does that mean i can't have a scale 450 sized Fan-in-Tail rotor ever? There goes my dream of a mini scale commanche
Jul 10, 2014, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Sorry I meant to say get some 450 main blades and cut them to size. This would increase my chord by 5mm and with increasing the headspeed another 100 rpms it should increase the tail around 400 rpms. Fingers crossed!!!
Do the mechanics have a belted or TT tail? If belted, just put a smaller pulley on the tail shaft..speed up the tail without having to speed up the main rotor...
Jul 10, 2014, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeniethLily
So does that mean i can't have a scale 450 sized Fan-in-Tail rotor ever? There goes my dream of a mini scale commanche
Not sure if they make a Fenestron Tail for a 450. Some company in europe makes them for a 500 though

Troy: its TT

Quick Reply