Jul 08, 2014, 07:58 AM
jrb
jrb
Thread OP
Discussion

Flight Ops?

I go to events to fly; last time I was at Watts (2012) I found flying slots to be very restrictive – didn’t get to fly as much as I wanted to.

What’s it going to be like this year?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2014, 11:06 AM
I wasn't at Watts in 2012 but was for 3 days in 2013 and found I had plenty of time to fly when I wanted. They did limit 3D to the top of the hour which made it easier for everyone else. I find at electric only events I get to fly more because flight times are around 5-8 minutes where gas planes can get around 10 or more so the waits for electric only are shorter.

That is just my experience from last year, we had a great time!!
Jul 08, 2014, 11:19 AM
jrb
jrb
Thread OP
IIRC max of 5 at a time in 2012; very limiting.

What was the 2013 limit; how about for 14?
Jul 08, 2014, 11:24 AM
MN WATTS Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
IIRC max of 5 at a time in 2012; very limiting.

What was the 2013 limit; how about for 14?
We've never limited it to 5. We only do that for our warbird flyin. We have 10 flight stations for WATTS and it's open flying almost all weekend. We do give the 3D and heli pilots some time every hour but that only takes up 10-15 min. We also have a parkflyer area that is open and not limited to numbers.

There was very little waiting for flying unless you ran up right before the times set aside for specialty groups. We do our best to get people flying.
Jul 08, 2014, 11:47 AM
jrb
jrb
Thread OP
Could have wind conditions put a lower limit at the time?

As I recall there were 5 station on each side of the taxi way back in 12; and we could only fly from one side (East of, not west) on that particular Saturday -- mostly from the west at near 20.
Jul 08, 2014, 04:40 PM
I have attended several fly ins around the country and Owatonna is my favorite to fly at.
The west end of the field allows me to get plenty of stick time in with my small 3D foamies and parkflyers. When I want to fly my other stuff I don't mind standing a few minutes to get my turn on the big runway. Nice set up. Bring a variety of planes and a big bag of lipos.

RonJ
Jul 15, 2014, 01:55 PM
"Some do, some don't"

Big Bag of Lipo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ
I have attended several fly ins around the country and Owatonna is my favorite to fly at.
The west end of the field allows me to get plenty of stick time in with my small 3D foamies and parkflyers. When I want to fly my other stuff I don't mind standing a few minutes to get my turn on the big runway. Nice set up. Bring a variety of planes and a big bag of lipos.

RonJ
Big bag of Lipo's Check
Variety of planes Check

Seriously, anything special I should be bringing? This will be my first big Fly In

Of course have own chair with cooler and canopy...
Have both sun screen and bug repellent (Gotta remember to keep bug stuff away from foamies....)
Sun glasses of course

But what else am I missing???

Mark R.

old_coastie
Latest blog entry: bringbacktheumxjug

Quick Reply