Jun 27, 2019, 06:06 PM
Thread OP
Mr Ren DiLeo over at www.premierpilots.com strongly suggested that one of his pilots would look good in the Hol’s and made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, and after seeing this little guy in person I couldn’t agree more! We both concluded that ‘Jim’ from the vintage line would look good, and he showed up today. He brought his own glasses, goggles, watch, hat and seat harness. Talk about a well equipped pilot!

His name will stay Jim in honor of Mr Jim Hoffer who sent me down this path and has supplied me with so much knowledge on this project. Jim, I hope you resemble Jim a little!

Jim decided to check out some of the airframes. He started with the Spatz, then quickly jumped in the Cherokee and did a pose on the Hol’s wing. He mentioned something about sanding gussets later.....

Then he climbed up to say hi to Sven in the Sparmann and decided that’s where he will supervise for the time being.

I hope he is patient.....
Last edited by dion9146; Jun 27, 2019 at 10:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2019, 08:45 AM
Low L/D
Dion,

Once, long ago, someone might have said that I was a living doll! But, sadly, now Iím just a grouchy old man.

I like my your ideas for the hinge parts. But it might be better to solder on thread stock and washers so that you can anchor each part on the spars without using glue.

Note that Chris Williams uses Robert hinges, supported by wooden dowels. But because the Roberts do not separate into two halves, the final assembly must be done after covering and finishing.

Thus I like your idea better because you can pre-assemble the joint. I do advise using 1/16Ē Cotter pins for the final assembly. This is truer to scale and wonít wiggle loose.

Jim

Now that I have an accomplice in your workshop, Iíll be watching you!
Jul 03, 2019, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
So is this accomplice going to be like one of those scary dolls that comes to life? Oh wait, maybe little Jim can actually do some work on this thing when I'm not in the shop!

Yes, small cotter pins is the way to go. The pins showing are only temporary to show the function. Although I like the threaded rod idea it's too late now. The hinges have been glued to the spars!
Jul 11, 2019, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
I seriously hope little Jim is getting some work done on the Holís while Iím away on vacation......
Jul 15, 2019, 08:33 AM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !
Dion, I stumbled across this browsing youtube, at 2:29 it gets interesting...
Gliders and pilots (13 min 3 sec)
Jul 15, 2019, 09:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT
Dion, I stumbled across this browsing youtube, at 2:29 it gets interesting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFq7kbDespA
Thanks Michael. Post #2 in this thread has the same video and was the inspiration for me to build this little glider. It's still inspiration when I need a kick in the pants to get it back on the board!
Jul 15, 2019, 09:39 AM
MTT
MTT
Sorry for the double post then...
Hadn't seen that..

Michael
Jul 15, 2019, 06:13 PM
Thread OP
No worries! Maybe it will inspire someone else to build one of those magnificent vintage gliders in that video. I had originally viewed that video because I was in love with the Grunau Baby, but then the Holís caught my eye and the rest is history.....
Jul 15, 2019, 06:45 PM
MTT
MTT
Same here, I would love to build a 1/3 scale Ka8, or a PWS 101, or an Orlik, or, or, or..... But around here, there is not a whole lot of sailplane, much less scale, and even less (make that none) aerotow activity...
So all these planes would just be collecting dust....
Jul 21, 2019, 06:50 PM
Thread OP
Sorry, not much to report. After taking a week off for vacation, I came home to multiple home repairs and work functions. I even managed to get out to the field and fly my ALES plane for the first time this season.

I did manage to get the port side aileron completed and added the control horns on each aileron. Next up is the aileron servos mounting, and I have decided to put them in the wings instead of running cables and pulleys. I have a couple of thin wing HS-225s that should do the trick, although I donít really need the thin wing aspect on this beast.
Jul 31, 2019, 04:45 PM
Are they launching with a winch or a highstart?
Jul 31, 2019, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy potatoes
Are they launching with a winch or a highstart?
Are you asking about the Holís or the other planes being mentioned on this thread?

The Holís will be Aero tow and winch launch, just like the real thing.
Aug 04, 2019, 08:49 PM
Thread OP
I diverted my attention away from the wings for a while to get re-inspired. The wings were starting to bog me down as i got into the small details. Rather than get diverted into another project, working on a different piece of this plane was just what I needed.

And it went faster than expected....

This weekend I finished up the rudder and got most of the stab completed. After I pickup more stock for the elevator spar this week, I should be able to finish the elevator and start making another set of hinges. I canít believe how light and stiff the rudder turned out!
Aug 04, 2019, 09:34 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Looking good!
Aug 05, 2019, 02:56 PM
Low L/D

Capstrips?

Dion,

The plans do not call for capstrips on the rudder ribs. The reinforcing strips (3mm x 5 mm spruce for full scale) are meant to be on the sides of the ribs, not on the top. This is the only use of I-beam ribs in the Hols. It would have been much easier to add them prior to the assembly into the rudder, but Iím sure you will find a way.

In the Sitzgleiter, the standard ribs in the wing were I-beam, hence each rib required two set of strips along the wing profile and the gussets were placed in between the two. The ďstrongĒ ribs were box ribs, with gussets on both sides of a single, but beefier, profile strip . But in the Hols, all the wing ribs are of the box type; the strong ribs are just beefed up. This change may reflect the fact that I-beam ribs, while being lighter, are more time-consuming to build that the box types. Jacobs went with the I-beam ribs in the rudder to keep it lighter, no doubt.

Putting servos in the wing will greatly simplify the assembly. Furthermore, this allows one to utilize differential aileron throw, something unheard of in these early primaries. You should also consider placing servos in both horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Yes, the scale cable linkage is cool, but is a pain when setting up to fly. So why not just ďfly by wireĒ, like we do with all our other models.

Jim

Quick Reply