Aug 14, 2014, 08:04 PM
Thread OP
2 complete sets of diagonals. Hmmm, now what......
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2014, 09:19 PM
Thread OP
Spent this evening fixing a mistake. When I made the aileron ribs I failed to allow for the width of the aileron spar and the hinge gap. The aileron ribs ended up being almost 1/2" longer than the rest of the trailing edge, so I had to remove the gussets and move the spar face back. You can see the before and after. All ribs are fixed, and we are back to normal.
Aug 30, 2014, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
Today was a good day. 33 miles on the bike, perfectly balanced and synced carbs on the Porsche, my Son's birthday party, and spent some time working on the plane.

Today I lightened the aileron spars and made them a little closer to scale. The first pic shows the two spars side by side. Total weight savings - 8 grams. . Then I faced one side with 1/32" ply.
Jun 26, 2016, 12:38 PM
buongiorno
sono italiano, hai i disegni : hol's der teufel.
grazie
Jun 26, 2016, 05:19 PM
Thread OP
? Sorry, no Italian and your question isn't translating well.
Jun 27, 2016, 04:07 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Dion - I think he's asking if you have the Hols der Teufel drawings.
Jun 27, 2016, 06:17 AM
Thread OP
There are a number of copies of these original plans found all over the interweb. Here is one from a favorite site:

http://www.retroplane.net/forum/down...tail&df_id=210
Jun 27, 2016, 04:37 PM
Low L/D

Segelflugzeug = Sailplane

Antonio,

I don't know why Dion did not reference me for the drawings. He has mentioned my involvement in his work in earlier posts.

My drawings are the same as what you can find on Retroplane, except that they have been translated into English (sorry - no Italiano). But in addition, the drawings have been exceptionally well cleaned up. I have painstakingly removed all the 'hash' that accumulates from the original and subsequent copying. I removed literally tens of millions of individual, misleading pixels. Warpages have been removed, lines re-drawn, some hash lines redone, all to achieve a clearer final drawing.

But you really need more than just these four drawings. They come from the booklet "Segelflugzeug", by Hans Jacobs, wherein they were appended as C-sized sheets. Hence all the fold lines you see on the drawings. Hans Jacobs wrote this manuscript as a simpler version of his greater work: "Werkstattpraxis" or Workshop Practices for Building Gliders and Sailplanes, published by Otto Maier (Ravensburg) in 1932 and which was already available as a second edition when Segelflugzeug was printed in 1936. Although aimed at the raw beginner or young student, a major difference is that Segelflugzeug describes the construction of one specific aircraft and not all gliders or sailplanes in general.

Hence, important sub-drawings are found only within the text of the booklet, such as the fuselage formers. The booklet is in effect a building guide to the new and improved Hols der Teufel.

My English translation of the booklet, entitled "Sailplane", is available from me, as well as the construction drawings, both translated and in the original German. The cost is only $20, all of which goes directly to the U. S. Southwest Soaring Museum in Moriarity, New Mexico. For those in the US, I have a CD that I can mail out for an additional $3.00. Outside the US, it costs too much to send a CD, but I can give you temporary access to my Dropbox files so that you can download everything yourself. Just send me a private message (PM) so that I can share my e-mail address with you. Then you could pay the $20 via PayPal.

Jim
Jun 27, 2016, 06:10 PM
Thread OP
Jim,

No offence intended, but I try not to offer up someone else's work for 'free'. You put a ton of effort into this work and have been immensely helpful to my project, but I don't like getting in the habit of offering your output to anyone who inquires.

I'm glad you offered to help. It was not my place.

Dion
Jun 28, 2016, 01:55 AM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Very nice project!
You are doing a fine job too.
Good luck with the rest of it.

Maarten
Jul 02, 2016, 01:30 AM
good morning
dion 9146 , the work done by Cryoflyer , has to be paid , I did not request the diesgni free , I would have expected a positive response to my request , with the fee to be sent to the documentation .

Cryoflyer
thanks for your kind availability , shortly you will receive my personal email , in order to define the modalities for the Acquisitions of the material and the relative remuneration .

good day

antonio G222
Jul 02, 2016, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
For anyone who cares or was following this thread, the plane is not complete, nor is it dead. It is safely boxed up and sitting on a shelf high in my shop for sometime in the future.

Other interests, my profession, and family life have all taken a much bigger chunk out of my life than expected, so rather than rush the build and create something that I didn't want I chose to delay the completion.

I tend to think of this airplane as a future Christmas present that will be opened up one day and finished when it's ready.
Jul 03, 2016, 06:45 AM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146

Other interests, my profession, and family life have all taken a much bigger chunk out of my life than expected, so rather than rush the build and create something that I didn't want I chose to delay the completion.

Sound familiar.
Good luck and I hope you'll get her finished someday.

Maarten
May 19, 2019, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Jim and company.....

It's Christmas in May. The box was reopened and out popped everything where I left it. I'm like a kid starting a new build again, but this time I already have a head start!

So back at it. Time to get this wing together so I can start on the fuselage and tail feathers. I carefully laid out all of the pieces parts over the plan. Nothing is glued yet, just aligned and fit as closely as possible. The diagonal braces required some length trimming to get right, but for the most part it went together very nicely. Even without glue it's a sturdy wing already. Total weight so far is 10 ozs.
May 19, 2019, 04:03 PM
SAM Elec GrdChmp04,07,10,12,14
So what are the wingtips made from? I can't quite make out the plans from the picture...
That what I'm trying to work out now..............
The Fillon Champion has 8 ply 1/31 balsa tips. Got my steamer out and everything.
Useing Titebond between plys.

Also found that when I use 1.5" PVC for the steam cavity, It sags and bends from the Steam temperature.
Jay

Quick Reply