She looks GREAT!
+1.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2014, 12:15 AM
Nice job, Pat!
Dec 05, 2014, 10:41 AM
Thank You for posting your Build Log!

Your Higgins PT came out looking Very Nice.

I have this kit waiting its turn on the Workbench.

Happy Boating!
-gus
Latest blog entry: Excuses Excuses...
Dec 11, 2014, 03:22 PM
Awesome looking boat Pat except for the guns. You should ask Pat Mathews if he could 3D print the guns in scale with this boat. Pat already has them in 1/24th and 1/20th scale. The prices at his Shape Ways store are very reasonable. Check out Pat's 1/24th 77' Elco if you haven't already done so. Here's a link for you:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2217225
Dec 12, 2014, 07:38 AM

U V protection & scratch resistant finish ?

I took mine to a auto body place. They did the spraying of color & CLEAR COAT using automotive finishes. The finish is over 20 years old & lives in a damp some what moldy basement all summer. The finish & wood are like new today. Plastic still might need a tough clear coat to stop the scratches.
Dec 19, 2014, 08:00 AM

Drivetrain Question

Hello Mr. Tritle,

Love the way your Higgins PT came out.

What ESC's did you use?
I apologize if you covered this question and I missed it...
I've reread this Excellent Build Log several times and I'm still not seeing it...

I'm planning to use the same Drivetrain on my PT212 build...
The Outrunner motors you selected look like a Great way to keep the Weight down while getting the needed Power.

Best Regards,
-gus
Dec 19, 2014, 07:35 PM
Please Disregard my last Post...

After zooming in on one of your Build Photos, and close examination of the Vendor page, I figured it out...

-gus
Jan 16, 2015, 07:57 AM
Hello Mr Tritle,

One last question:

Do you have Reverse in this Boat using these ESC's?

Thank You,

-gus
Jan 16, 2015, 11:49 AM
gus, The ESC's that I used in the 212 do not have reverse, but there are several choices available in both marine and RC car controlers that do, so finding them won't be a problem.

PAT
Jan 16, 2015, 05:29 PM
Thank You for your reply Mr. Tritle...

No Worries...

Definitely like the Motors.
As you say finding a Suitable ESC won't be an issue...

Thank You Again for Posting your Build Log.

Best Regards,
-gus
Jan 17, 2015, 08:13 PM
Closed Account
Nice.
Last edited by Casey58; Jan 18, 2015 at 05:15 PM.
Jan 19, 2015, 08:55 AM
Casey, Having been in boats for a few years now I have several radio set-up's. I still have a few old Futaba 2 ch. 75 MHz radios in service. Several of my old 72 MHz airplane radios have been moved over to boats now that no one is flying 72 around here anymore. The rest are set up on the Spektrum DX-6 and DX-7 Transmitters. I do move Rx's around from time to time cycling out the old to make room for the new cause there's just so mamy hulls and too few Rx's to go around.

PAT
Nov 21, 2016, 10:47 PM
Pat, you and other PT fans might be interested in an update on the Higgins PT 305 that the World War II Museum in New Orleans, LA has been working on for a while now. Although it is mentioned that the boat was built locally, nowhere in the article I read is it mentioned that the vessel was a Higgins boat, named after its local builder Andrew Jackson Higgins.
It is claimed that it is the only combat veteran PT boat that has been restored and is about to be in working order. The 305 saw service in the Mediterranean Sea in 1944 and 1945, participating in the invasion of Elba in June, 1944, and the invasion of southern France after D-Day - June 6, 1944.
PT 305 is credited with sinking "two armored German supply boats and an Italian torpedo boat during the war."
The hull had been cut down to 60' in length after the war so that it could be used as an oyster boat, then later as a Chesapeake Bay tour boat. It was acquired
by the Museum of the Pacific War in Galveston, Texas, then transferred to the museum in New Orleans in 2007.
A team of dedicated volunteers with serious, varied skills have been working steadily from copies of the plans and authentic materials for several years on the boat. Saturday, it will be loaded onto a barge for a 250-mile trip to a marina on the Intracoastal Waterway for about two weeks further work to ready it for operation.
An accompanying picture of the starboard side shows that the hull side and upper works is painted blue with a diagonal separation from a black hull side aft .
From the waterline down it's painted a primer-like red color.
Sorry for the length of this post, but I thought that some of you are very interested in the eminent conclusion of the construction part of this project.
Bill
Last edited by jeepers1940; Nov 21, 2016 at 11:36 PM.