Thread Tools
Jul 08, 2014, 04:16 PM
Naval gazing
Is the hull styrene or abs or something else?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2014, 10:47 AM
Registered User
P. Tritle's Avatar

Setting Up the Rudders


Got the rudder assemblies built up and hooked up now, which pretty well completes the running gear instalations. Once it was all installed and working the deck was glued in place and the edge gaps filled. Will post a photo or two of the deck as soon as I get one.

PAT
Jul 10, 2014, 10:48 AM
Registered User
P. Tritle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacephrawg
Is the hull styrene or abs or something else?
Space, The hull is on one piece vac-formed unit pulled from styrene. Makes construction a breeze.

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Jul 10, 2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Missed the pertinent point
Jul 10, 2014, 09:42 PM
Naval gazing
Curious that this one costs more than the elco kit then.

When you glue the deck on doesn't that make the rudders all but impossible to remove for maintenance?
Jul 11, 2014, 11:22 AM
Registered User
P. Tritle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacephrawg
Curious that this one costs more than the elco kit then.

When you glue the deck on doesn't that make the rudders all but impossible to remove for maintenance?
Actually, getting to the servo and control arms really isn't a problem. The hatch is a bit narrow, but I did remove the rudders and prop shafts to sand the deck filler and prep for paint after the deck was glued in place.
Jul 11, 2014, 11:28 AM
Registered User
P. Tritle's Avatar

Fitting and Sanding the Deck


The deck was glued in place and the edge seam trimmed and then filled using catalized spot putty (basically its just thin Bondo). The seams were sandeded flush and then the exhaust stackes were cut out and glued in place.
Jul 11, 2014, 11:32 AM
Registered User
P. Tritle's Avatar

Getting Started on the Main Cabin Assembly


The main cabin was assembled per the instructions. The unit is built up mostly from plactic with a couple of wood and metal detail parts. The turrets are made up from PVC pipe - provided in the kit - and details from wood and plastic. I think that this assembly is about the most complex of all the deck details, so from here it'll be smooth sailing and should go fairly quickly.

PAT
Jul 11, 2014, 12:56 PM
Registered User
Nice job on the Higgins. They are a nice change from the constant parade of 80' Elcos. I am building the same kit wit a few mods. I am using a 1/32 Bofors 40mm off of a Revell 1/32 M-42 Duster on the fantial and moving the 20mm to the bow, replacing the torpedo tubes with roll off racks and the shorter MkXIII torpedo. I am also going with the mid life radar mast. I was not too happy with the over simplified depression rails on the gun tubs, so they are getting an overhaul. Lastly, in a fit of absolute insanity, I planked the deck with individual wood strips. Even painted, you will be able to see the individual planking. (I was off my meds that day!) I'm new to the forums, so I guess I ought to consider opening my own thread and posting some pics.

Again, nice job on the PT.

JR
Jul 11, 2014, 06:05 PM
Naval gazing
Why did Dumas use such odd scales for the PT kits? Why not something standardized? Even Lindberg's 1/32 PT makes more sense than 1/31 or 1/30. Am I missing something?


I imagine 1/30 and 1/31 or 2 details aren't as easy to come by as other scales.
Jul 11, 2014, 06:31 PM
boat butcher
the goon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobinsonusaf
Nice job on the Higgins. They are a nice change from the constant parade of 80' Elcos. I am building the same kit wit a few mods. I am using a 1/32 Bofors 40mm off of a Revell 1/32 M-42 Duster on the fantial and moving the 20mm to the bow, replacing the torpedo tubes with roll off racks and the shorter MkXIII torpedo. I am also going with the mid life radar mast. I was not too happy with the over simplified depression rails on the gun tubs, so they are getting an overhaul. Lastly, in a fit of absolute insanity, I planked the deck with individual wood strips. Even painted, you will be able to see the individual planking. (I was off my meds that day!) I'm new to the forums, so I guess I ought to consider opening my own thread and posting some pics.

Again, nice job on the PT.

JR
jrobinsonusaf,

Welcome to the forum . Where do you hail from? I think you should start your own build thread on your Higgins. We all love to see pictures

Mark
Jul 12, 2014, 04:42 PM
Registered User

Higgins PT


Nice work, now I am tempted to get mine of the shelf and get started, question has any one tried/built this as mid/late war that as the extensions added to the bridge area that moves the MG tubs aft, if so do you have any DWGs or such showing how it was done. Think that would make a very insteresting build.
Keith
Jul 12, 2014, 09:52 PM
KC8WPF
CG Bob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacephrawg
Why did Dumas use such odd scales for the PT kits? Why not something standardized? Even Lindberg's 1/32 PT makes more sense than 1/31 or 1/30. Am I missing something?


I imagine 1/30 and 1/31 or 2 details aren't as easy to come by as other scales.
Ever hear of box scale models? Generally plastic from the 1950's & 60's - models were designed to fit into standard boxes. Some odd scales showed up, mostly for ships: like Lindberg's 1:245 scale D-Day LST, 1:288 scale LSD USS TORTUGA, and 1:64 scale PT-109.
Jul 13, 2014, 01:23 AM
Naval gazing
Clearly this was before the invention of the long tail theory
Jul 13, 2014, 11:37 AM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacephrawg
Why did Dumas use such odd scales for the PT kits? Why not something standardized? Even Lindberg's 1/32 PT makes more sense than 1/31 or 1/30. Am I missing something?


I imagine 1/30 and 1/31 or 2 details aren't as easy to come by as other scales.
It does seem like an odd choice- I cant help but think that the designers and/or product managers live on "Dumas Island" -- a place where other hobbies don't exist.
But in this case, it doesn't really matter, as the scales are so close.
A 78 foot long boat is 29.75 inches in 1/32 scale, and 30.2 inches in 1/31 scale. That means any 1/32 scale items used on the boat will be 1.5% undersized -- I doubt that would be noticeable.

1/35 scale accessories would 11% undersized-- you could get away with that in many cases-- figures, ammoboxes, fuel drums, etc would be fine IMO.
Jul 13, 2014, 11:59 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
der kapitan's Avatar
My first fiberglass attempt was a 78' Higgins boat, which incidentally, I still have, though I haven't run it in many years. That was back in 1981---.


Thread Tools