This thread is privately moderated by 92PathSE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 05, 2014, 03:15 PM
Today's forecast: Summer
Discussion

Reprogramming the UMX Radian with AS3X (AS5430L)

*NOTE: I used a DX8. The procedure with a different radio could be different. See below.

You'll need:

- a SPMA3060 USB Programmer
- Some software from Horizon
- a TX
- a Windows PC
- a charged battery for the plane
- patience

First, you'll need to install the correct drivers for the USB programmer. I won't detail that here, but I have XP so it wasn't an issue. See the product page on Horizon's site for more info.

Second, you'll need the software from Horizon. See above.

Third, you need to enable X-Port on Ch5 of your RX. This can be tricky. The manual on Horizon's site details the process, but leaves out a few things. Here's what I had to do:

- Unplug the Programmer from the PC if it is plugged in
- Create a fresh model in my radio, a DX8, and bind it to the RX
- Turn off/unplug everything
- Turn on TX, max the throttle, hold full right rudder with my toe
- Plug the battery in on the plane
- Wait for solid light, then some really fast blinks
- Keep holding the rudder and unplug the battery
- Power off TX

That should enable X-Port!

*After this, you can swap back to your normal UMX Radian model in your TX and rebind, assuming you already have one.

Next, you'll need to connect the programmer to the RX. In this plane, the plug is in the center of the board. Peel the tape off and split the plane in two. Be careful!

Finally, programming the board...

- Plug in USB programmer into PC
- TX on, throttle off or whatever
- Plug in battery
- Start up the software and wait a sec for it to connect

*Note: The plane must be very still for it to work. Even the vibration from my PC was enough to keep it from connecting at first. Seems like the AS3X has to arm first before the RX will talk to the programmer.

After this, you can change your programming. I highly suggest pressing "read" which will show the current config in the bottom area. Write these down/save them to a config!

One thing that was nice is the ability to disable AS3X entirely. You can only use Ch5. On the DX8, Ch5 is the Gear switch which is perfect.

I found these links useful during the process:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2163964
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post27997074
Last edited by 92PathSE; Aug 13, 2014 at 06:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2014, 04:49 PM
Hey, watch this!

Frustrating it is . . .

. . . but I'm sure I'll eventually get the hang of it.
Jul 06, 2014, 08:30 PM
If you have a question about the process I'd be happy to answer.
Jul 09, 2014, 11:06 PM
Wid
Wid
Live Your Dreams

How to uninstall 3.02.000?

I have been trying to program UMX Radian. when I run the vista driver installation program it tells me I already have driver 3.02.000 installed and must remove it to install 3.0.1.0. I can't find it to uninstall. How do I uninstall it? I can't find 3060 under device manager.

Also when I have the 3060 programmer plugged into PC and Rx it should show up on PC under "computer" same as USB drives etc, Right?

When turning on/off Xport how do I know which state it is in?

Running Vista
Thanks for any help.
Jul 10, 2014, 01:38 AM
Wid
Wid
Live Your Dreams

"no respond" - SOLVED

I switched to a windows 7 machine, computer recognizes programmer , correct driver installed. When I run program it finds correct port but when I press "read" I get error message "no respond" . I have tried full throttle right rudder a couple times in case I was not in Xport mode. Get the quick blink. Same response. Any hints.
Thanks

EDIT: Problem was bent pin in X-port socket. On Vista machine I had to remove 3.02.00 by going into "programs and features" and uninstalling "PL-2303 Vista driver installer" I was then able to install earlier version of "PL-2303 Vista driver installer" that installs 3.0.1.0.

Now able to turn AS3X off or on during flight. Nice.
Last edited by Wid; Jul 11, 2014 at 01:10 AM.
Aug 06, 2014, 02:09 PM
1-2 ounces of pure fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92PathSE
You'll need:

- a SPMA3060 USB Programmer
- Some software from Horizon
- a TX
- a Windows PC
- a charged battery for the plane
- patience

First, you'll need to install the correct drivers for the USB programmer. I won't detail that here, but I have XP so it wasn't an issue. See the product page on Horizon's site for more info.

Second, you'll need the software from Horizon. See above.

Third, you need to enable X-Port on Ch5 of your RX. This can be tricky. The manual on Horizon's site details the process, but leaves out a few things. Here's what I had to do:

- Unplug the Programmer from the PC if it is plugged in
- Create a fresh model in my radio, a DX8, and bind it to the RX
- Turn off/unplug everything
- Turn on TX, max the throttle, hold full right rudder with my toe
- Plug the battery in on the plane
- Wait for solid light, then some really fast blinks
- Keep holding the rudder and unplug the battery
- Power off TX

That should enable X-Port!

*After this, you can swap back to your normal UMX Radian model in your TX and rebind, assuming you already have one.

Next, you'll need to connect the programmer to the RX. In this plane, the plug is in the center of the board. Peel the tape off and split the plane in two. Be careful!

Finally, programming the board...

- Plug in USB programmer into PC
- TX on, throttle off or whatever
- Plug in battery
- Start up the software and wait a sec for it to connect

*Note: The plane must be very still for it to work. Even the vibration from my PC was enough to keep it from connecting at first. Seems like the AS3X has to arm first before the RX will talk to the programmer.

After this, you can change your programming. I highly suggest pressing "read" which will show the current config in the bottom area. Write these down/save them to a config!

One thing that was nice is the ability to disable AS3X entirely. You can only use Ch5. On the DX8, Ch5 is the Gear switch which is perfect.

I found these links useful during the process:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2163964
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post27997074
Worked like a charm...very easy! Using XP and my Dx6i
Aug 06, 2014, 08:19 PM
Explorer, Weekender, Artizan
I keep getting the no response message. I see the device on the serial port and it says it is working. So my question is the rudder on this plan is on the right stick not the left like a four channel plane.

Help Chris
Aug 06, 2014, 08:56 PM
1-2 ounces of pure fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoking
I keep getting the no response message. I see the device on the serial port and it says it is working. So my question is the rudder on this plan is on the right stick not the left like a four channel plane.

Help Chris
I just moved the throttle stick to max and full right rudder as if the rudder was on the left stick like a 4ch plane.
Aug 06, 2014, 10:31 PM
I do not seem to be able to enable the X-Port. It waits about 5 sec, flash twice and then goes stead on????? Chris
Aug 06, 2014, 10:46 PM
Wid
Wid
Live Your Dreams

Run program as administrator

Quote:
I do not seem to be able to enable the X-Port. It waits about 5 sec, flash twice and then goes stead on????? Chris
I thought it was my eyes were not fast enough. I see only two flashes then steady on. But it enabled/dis-abled. If it is not enabled try again. Are you running the program as administrator? I had to run it as admin to get everything working.
Last edited by Wid; Aug 07, 2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: add title
Aug 06, 2014, 11:45 PM
OK, started the program with crtl Shift and IT WORKED! I was using wife's Windows 7 computer.

And yes it was just the left throttle switch full on and to the right.

Had to reverse gear switch set up in the radio to default AX3X on with switch in normal position.

Another thing, is you can send the plug in thru the air scoop on top front and push it into the circuit card with a thin screw driver. Then pry it back out. I ended up cutting out a taped square plug above the circuit card to look at the pins. I just magic marker'd the hole sides and plug sides black and taped it back in place. Service port!!!!

Thanks

Chris
Last edited by snoking; Aug 07, 2014 at 12:13 AM.
Aug 07, 2014, 08:04 AM
I found these instructions work well. I did take the computer offline to keep it from updating the driver from the net.

"Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
Ok I picked up my programmer tonight and proceeded to "Get er Done"...

A few hours of pulling hair out and then solved... I am using Windows 7 and a DX8.

1. Install ONLY the PL-2303 Vista Driver Installer.exe. Ignore Spektrums instructions about loading the XP driver first.

2. Plug the SPMA3600 in to a USB port.

3. QUICKLY click on the found new device and cancel searching on Windows Update (that driver would not work for me). Windows will find the driver you loaded in step 1 (2007 version).

4. Let it reboot when it asks and leave the programmer plugged in.

5. After reboot, run the GYRO_PARA_DOWNLOAD.exe as Administrator.

6. Connect Programmer to 4 pin jack inside Radian.

7. Turn on Tx.

8. Use rubber band to (mode2) to hold throttle to the top right (full throttle and right rudder). Ensure it is ALL the way to the top and into the corner. I found if you loop the rubber band around antenna and a few switches, it works perfect.

9. Plug a battery into the Radian and wait.

10. You will eventually see the red led on the board flash twice and if you look over at the PC screen, it should have found the com port and stopped "searching".

11. Click on read and save those settings (screen shot too is good).

12. Copy the settings into the info above in the modify section and change the enable via gear switch to "1".

13. Write the changes.

14. Unplug battery and programmer and remove rubber band.

15. Plug battery back in, give a little throttle to activate AS3X and then use gear switch (ch5) to disable/enable at will!

Enjoy
Tim"

Chris
Aug 09, 2014, 02:51 PM
I think leaving X-port enabled was causing the esc to take much longer powering up. Just disabled it and it comes right up. AS3X on/off still works fine! Chris
Aug 13, 2014, 06:48 PM
Man, I'm sorry I didn't see this when you posted the first time. I never got a notification. Glad you got it worked out!
Aug 15, 2014, 11:46 PM
Quote:
I think leaving X-port enabled was causing the esc to take much longer powering up. Just disabled it and it comes right up. AS3X on/off still works fine! Chris
Well not really still slow. Seems in radio is on and close it takes longer.

Chris

Quick Reply