This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 04, 2014, 08:01 PM
Thread OP
Cool

thermaling with the micro radian

today i had the pleasure to get my micro radian into a thermal for the 1st time. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2089760
i fly usually at dawn, as it is when i find a window in the wind, but today at 8:00 pm i looked into the window and noticed that all the trees were still, so got my rad and radio and ran to the pond nearby (10 minutes/6 km), and launched the plane. after several uneventful but pleasant flights in a blue sky without clouds, when i had done 4 minutes of motor, on the last run, noticed that it was not coming down. as usual, i was turning, so kept doing it, but after some time it was getting too high and small and drifting too far, so i brought it back. but it was a wonderful experience!
i had flown the rad consistently, but at dawn there are no thermals-at last i have been unable to detect 1-and also have flown many planes of all kinds into thermals, but with this little wonder i have the oportunity to try it at places nearby, even with some wind, so it expands my horizons enormously.
to all of you who already have got your lil rads into thermals, you understand the feeling.
and to all of you who still haven't, i dedicate this, with the best wishes that some time you will also enjoy the feeling.
it's a wonderful life.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jul 05, 2014 at 03:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply