View Poll Results: Are you able to attend a street protest at FAA HQ in Washington in a couple of weeks?
yes 3 37.50%
no 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Jul 04, 2014, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Could you attend a street protest at FAA HQ in Washington?

At this time we are working on organizing a demonstration in front of the FAA Headquarters building on Independence Ave in Washington DC. We're working with the DC Area Drone Users Group on this and seeking to work with the AMA as well.
Our current vision for this is:
  • the protest will be legal and we will get a permit
  • this will be a peaceful and family friendly protest
  • this will be an informative protest
For getting a permit we will need to know how many people to expect. We are hoping to get about 50 people to show up. We want to stage the protest on a weekday before the commenting period on the FAA interpretation ends.

So please reply if you think you can travel to Washington DC in the next couple of weeks and take part. We'll keep everyone updated on how things are going.

Thanks!!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2014, 09:24 AM
Question

You guys want to be able to fly with goggles that bad?

Isn't it the case that in the last five years of hype, what just went down at the FAA was they made a little ruling sixteen paces behind the advent of technology that says don't stick something on your face while flying? We already knew they didnt like nlos flight, or any aspect of income pecuniary interests, so whats the new tripping point for this flare...is it the commercial, income aspect you are protesting?

What I did was stop flying PIC with goggles on and go back to monitor. I never was making money anyway with the hobby...so if I came, its to support those who want to make money? Nah, y'all go ahead without me
Jul 05, 2014, 09:35 AM
Thread OP
What we are protesting is the ďat best ill-conceived and at worst intentionally punitive and retaliatory" move by the FAA against ALL RC hobbyists and turning FPV fliers into criminals with the stroke of a pen, by a bunch of bureaucrats that were never elected by anyone. Not to mention turning around and stabbing the AMA in the back when they have been trying to work with the FAA for years now to come up with some reasonable guidelines. Instead we get an across the board ban.
Promoting commercial use is not one of our key issues.
We certainly realize we are asking people to go to a lot of effort to put themselves out there and show up and it's very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jul 05, 2014, 09:59 AM
Wait I'm still confused

I posted here to discern if the way Ive always flown fpv is illegal and I don't think it is.

From what I can tell, nothing of what you typed has occurred, fpv flying is still legal like it was last year, and the only change was no goggles but everything else we do in here is still allowed?

Can you summarize how the FAA is 'getting us' by simply saying don't fly with goggles but keep flying just the same?

So I don't see how any aspect of rc has been changed, just save the goggles for passenging. It seems like a one sentence change they made but we came back with a huge response overstating much of their ruling
Jul 05, 2014, 10:02 AM
Thread OP

Could you attend a street protest at FAA HQ in Washington?

Thanks but that debate is already ongoing in multiple threads. If you have no issues with what the FAA is doing just continue flying as you always have.
Last edited by smoothvirus; Jul 05, 2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply