Hangar 9 1/4 Scale PA-18 Super Cub Model Plane, PNP - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 03, 2014, 06:15 AM
New Product

Hangar 9 1/4 Scale PA-18 Super Cub Model Plane, PNP

Looks very nice

Overview
Outstanding scale details, brilliant functionality and the spirit of adventure - the 1/4-scale PA-18 Super Cub PNP from Hangar 9 is a majestic model plane.
Features
Evolution 33GX gas engine with muffler included
Pre-installed Spektrum digital aircraft servos
Constructed from balsa/light plywood
Genuine Hangar 9 UltraCote film covering
Flaps are functional
Easy transportation with folding wing struts
Full-body pilot figure included
Cockpit door fully functional
Accurate Super Cub wheels
Bungee-style suspension on main gear
Scale, painted aluminum spinner included
Painted fiberglass cowl with moulded panel lines
Accurate instrument panel
All hardware comes included
Since its creation in 1949, the Piper Super Cub has established its reputation as the number one choice for adventurous flying. In the spirit of this timeless classic, Hangar 9 have constructed the 1/4-scale PA-18 Super Cub. Offering the same accurate scale detail seen in the Super Cub ARF, this model is now available as a Plug-N-Play plane. Each line and curve on this model is an accurate reflection of the full-size aircraft. Hangar 9 have even focused on recreating the shape of the fillet where the fuselage and vertical stab meet. Additionally, every control surface, including the flaps, comes with a metal gear Spektrum digital servo to make setup very straightforward. An Evolution 33GX gas engine is also included, which can be easily bolted into place with the in-cowl exhaust included with the plane. All that you will need to supply are the batteries, receiver and transmitter.

In keeping with the full-scale version, this model plane has functional flaps that will allow you to perform great short-field takeoffs and landings. Speaking of which, the Cub features a scale landing gear with working suspension. Not only does this reflect the real plane's o-ring bungee landing gear, but it will also absorb bumps during ground operation. You will notice that the flight characteristics are easy-going, but the Super Cub can perform sport aerobatics too. Hangar 9 have ensured that getting to and from the field with this plane is very easy; the moulded wing struts can easily fold up against the wing when disconnected. There are also quick-connect strut pins available, so that no tools will be required for assembly at the field.

Similar to the Inverza, this plane is constructed from balsa and light plywood. Among its many features, the Hangar 9 Super Cub offers a painted fibreglass cowl and aluminium spinner, which come fully-painted. The magnetically-secured cockpit door also features a split fold. This door can be left open during flight (just like the full-scale Super Cub). With the lower cockpit door, you will be able to easily access the radio and ignition switches. This is another stunning scale model plane from Hangar 9 that you can take great pride in. Order yours now.

If you like this model plane, you should also check out the Hangar 9 Taylorcraft.

Looking for spare parts?

At Modelflight, we fully support all Hangar 9 model planes. You can find spare parts for the Hangar 9 Super Cub by clicking on the “Spare Parts” tab above. Alternatively, you can use our online Spare Parts Finder to search for all the Super Cub model plane spare parts. If there is a part or accessory you cannot find online, do not hesitate to contact us and we can try to source the part for you on your behalf.
What you Need
7+ channel, full-range transmitter and receiver radio system. We recommend the Spektrum DX9 (SPMR9900)
Receiver. We recommend the Spektrum AR9020 (SPMAR9020)
Ignition Battery
Charger for batteries. We recommend the Dynamite Prophet Precept 80W (DYNC2015)

Wingspan106 in (269 cm)
Overall Length68 in (173 cm)
Wing Area1630 sq. in. (150 sq. dm.)
Flying Weight16.6-18.5 lb (7.5-8.4 kg)
Engine SizeEvolution 33GX
Radio7+ channel radio system
ServosInstalled
Trim Scheme ColorsWhite, Deep Blue
CG (center of gravity)4-4.75 in (102-121mm) back from the leading edge at wing root
Wing Loading23.0-26.0 oz, sq. ft.
Prop Size17x8
Spinner Size2.5-in (64mm)
Recommended Battery2700mAh 6.0V HiMH
FlapsYes
Experience LevelIntermediate
Assembly Time7-9 HoursIs
Assembly RequiredYes
BrandHangar 9

1/4 Scale PA-18 Super Cub PNP by Hangar 9 (3 min 7 sec)
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Jul 03, 2014 at 09:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2014, 09:13 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
So they took an existing model and put a 33 and servos on it?

Cool, the plane is a blast and this will make it extremely easy to get in the air.
Jul 03, 2014, 05:37 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
The old 1/4 scale J-3 PNP was very successful, and it had a Zenoah G20 inside.

The Taylorcraft has been very successful with a Zenoah G26.

We think the convenience factor, a more modern engine, and the general popularity of the Super Cub will make this offering successful too.

What would you guys think if we did this for the DHC-2 Beaver?
Jul 03, 2014, 05:40 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
That would be awesome.
May 05, 2015, 03:34 AM
Well 10 months on and i finally bought one and WOW! does it look good

got an Un-Boxing video loading now

Just starting the build and thought i'd get the lights in the wing and looking at them they look small has anyone used the E-flite Light Kit? are they bright enough for a plane of this size or should i double up on the led's as i see the unit can run 16

Also always wanted "My" Cub to have the Tundra Tyres look so have order a set of 8.75" Tyres and a Tundra Tail Wheel set plus 1/4 scale shocks for up the front so i can get rid of the rubber bands.

Looking forward to getting this one in the air

H9 PA-18 Super Cub Un -Boxing with ChuckT (10 min 6 sec)

cheers chuck
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; May 05, 2015 at 05:25 AM.
May 05, 2015, 05:22 PM
Same Day Delivery
Hi Chuck, guess what, I was made in 1956 too, got a good laugh out of that one!

Tell you what, You are much more grey than I !!!

Interested in the shocks you showed to replace the "rubber bands". Keep us informed when you fit them to the landing gear. Thanks, Mike
May 05, 2015, 08:18 PM
Converted to FrSky!
My order went in this morning.
Latest blog entry: How to reverse a digital servo
May 05, 2015, 08:36 PM
Converted to FrSky!
Chuck,
The eflite lighting kit is pretty anemic. I'll be adding this to my PA-18..

AVCP-AV001 Scale LED Lighting System for RC Helicopters & Airplanes from here:

https://www.scaleflying.com/Scale-LE...anes_p_17.html

Cheers,

Phill
May 06, 2015, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillPerry
Chuck,
The eflite lighting kit is pretty anemic. I'll be adding this to my PA-18..

AVCP-AV001 Scale LED Lighting System for RC Helicopters & Airplanes from here:

https://www.scaleflying.com/Scale-LE...anes_p_17.html

Cheers,

Phill
Thanks Phill like the look of these, have you seen them in action? wonder if you can see them in the day like they claim?
$75 aud at the moment but i want my lights to work not be only good looking on the ground so i might lash out and get them. Just be nice to know that they do work ok before i press the button

cheers chuck
May 06, 2015, 05:17 AM
Converted to FrSky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker
Thanks Phill like the look of these, have you seen them in action? wonder if you can see them in the day like they claim?
$75 aud at the moment but i want my lights to work not be only good looking on the ground so i might lash out and get them. Just be nice to know that they do work ok before i press the button

cheers chuck
Hi Mate,
I have only seen them once on a large 1/4 scale cub up here in QLD. They looked pretty good and were a lot brighter than the eflite kit.

I'll do a bit of review for you when mine arrive if you like.

Phill
May 06, 2015, 05:47 AM
cheers Phill, sounds good, but i reckon i might go with them anyway, as they look similar in size to some edf jet ones i have here. I like the idea of having the other flashing lights etc with this kit, the eflite kit is missing those.

chuck

EDIT!

might just hold off as i had a HK set of aviation lights as well as the jet ones and i have played around a bit tonight hooking all three sets up to an Rx and there is very little difference between all of them. The HK ones have like a glass lens over the LED thet seem to make them a little brighter than the eflite ones when looked from end on. side on they look the same. The big landing light is again just a bigger led cover and again only looks brighter end on. To me they look the same as the ones your getting?

I was suggested these in another thread but i am not paying $300 Aud for some lights that shine in the day haha

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=811

be interested in your views on the ones you get when they arrive, for now i might just play with what i have got

cheers chuck
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; May 06, 2015 at 07:43 AM.
May 06, 2015, 07:58 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
If you really want bright lights get EZ Lights from East Coast Scale Helicopters. They will make you look away in the daylight.

http://eastcoastvario.com/indexkeep.html
May 10, 2015, 04:45 AM
Converted to FrSky!
How's the build coming Chuck?
May 10, 2015, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillPerry
How's the build coming Chuck?
Very slow busy with other stuff at the moment and waiting till i have other parts so i can build it once. I miss read the lights requirements and need another white light and 24" extension. I also want some of the Blue covering as i am adding stripes to the bottom of the wings. My eyes need it White planes are hard to see in the sky. The Bushwheels should be here this week

I have started though and have all the electronics set out ready to mount. I like to run a 2 input reg so i can run 2 batteries so have that to fit under the floor + the telemetry unit + the ignition cut switch.

Also taken the cabin kit out the bag and looked how that fits in the cabin. I am in no hurry to get this one done, i'm sure once i have all the parts it will come together quickly

here is a photo of a plane with stripes i like, i will do something similar but a little different than this one

cheers chuck
May 11, 2015, 08:43 PM
my parcel from Alaska, the PR Bush Wheels just turned up and they look amazing. The shocks are solid as is the tail wheel set up! Will get into the studio and do an Un-Boxing video to give you all a look at this great product, for people looking for that little extra, mass produced products can't give! http://www.prbushwheels.com/