Nov 27, 2014, 04:45 PM
Has any of you found a thread for the Phoenix Decathlon .45 -.55, I am interested in that one and this one.

to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2014, 10:00 AM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I can't find much on the Decathlon, either. But I've just about decided to order one - something to keep me occupied until the 182 comes in stock.

I have several other Phoenix planes, all of which have turned out to be very nice. Maybe I'll give the Decathlon a try. I'll probably start a thread on it if I get one.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
I can't find much on the Decathlon, either. But I've just about decided to order one - something to keep me occupied until the 182 comes in stock.

I have several other Phoenix planes, all of which have turned out to be very nice. Maybe I'll give the Decathlon a try. I'll probably start a thread on it if I get one.
Since you are interested in the Decathlon, have you found a picture by any chance on how the battery mounts and is accessed for the electric version. The manual has only photos of certain sections of the plane, doesnīt have even one with all parts of the kit.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:12 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Here you go:

http://phoenixmodel.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=44

Click on the photos tab (upper right) for lots of good pictures. It looks like a very nice arrangement for electric power. I have the removable windshield/hatch arrangement like this on my VQ Tripacer. And it works out beautifully. Easy battery access w/o turning the plane over and plenty of room.

I'm really concerned about the Cessna because it looks like battery access is not going to be as easy as this one.
Nov 28, 2014, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
Here you go:

http://phoenixmodel.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=44

Click on the photos tab (upper right) for lots of good pictures. It looks like a very nice arrangement for electric power. I have the removable windshield/hatch arrangement like this on my VQ Tripacer. And it works out beautifully. Easy battery access w/o turning the plane over and plenty of room.

I'm really concerned about the Cessna because it looks like battery access is not going to be as easy as this one.
Thank you very much! I am near to pressing the Place Order button!
Nov 28, 2014, 03:37 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eihoward
Thank you very much! I am near to pressing the Place Order button!
Go ahead and do it!

I'm not far behind you. I'll probably wait until Monday to think about what else I want to add to the order.

What motor are you thinking of using? I've got a Tacon 46 that I used for a while in my Phoenix Tucano. It should work fine here.

Dave
Nov 28, 2014, 03:42 PM
Since I am new to this, I prefer to select the components in the manual. I am going to put a Rimfire .55 and a Talon 90 (overkill) but the suggested electrify ESC I donīt like.

With the discount, E-Cash and Free Shipping is a good deal to buy everything from Tower, with some other extra tools and supplies I need.
Nov 28, 2014, 04:24 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Those are very nice premium components that will work well. I will take a slightly different approach, using less expensive, but very serviceable components that I'm familiar with.
It should be interesting to see how these work out.

Someone should start a thread dedicated to the Decathlon. Do you want to do it? If not, I will.
Nov 28, 2014, 04:34 PM
Please go ahead and create it, I am going to be the first to subscribe...
Nov 28, 2014, 04:53 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Ok. It's up. We'll see how it goes. Maybe it will have more activity than this Cessna thread (but I'm counting on Cessna activity to pick up after the plane is available).

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2294165
Nov 28, 2014, 09:16 PM
I was taking a look at the photos of the Cessna, and the hatch for the battery is not that clear how its going to work. The plane looks interesting though.

Nov 29, 2014, 11:52 AM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
You're right. The battery location is shown in 2 different places. A hatch near the firewall underneath the plane OR installed in the cabin through the door under the dash panel.

Neither of these is going to be as user friendly as the removable windshield/hatch like on the Decathlon. And we probably won't know which is used until someone actually gets a plane in their hands. Regardless, I'll be among the first to order one.
Dec 06, 2014, 08:13 PM
Subbing
Jan 10, 2015, 09:00 AM
Another delay, now it reads Late Feb for availability at Tower...
Jan 10, 2015, 04:08 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
---

Quick Reply