FrSky - We need a Taranis for Surface Radios with OpenTx! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 01, 2014, 03:25 PM
Discussion

FrSky - We need a Taranis for Surface Radios with OpenTx!

Ok FrSky, we are loving the Taranis stick radio and now we need a similar model running OpenTx for surface radios (wheel style).

Don't bother releasing special Rx's besides then X4R as the lineup is perfect the way it is.

---

In the meantime, does anyone know of an ARM processor wheel radio we could use to replace the firmware with an OpenTx variant?

Cheers
Tim
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2014, 04:50 PM
I posted this suggestion on their Facebook page. I'd love an OpenTX pistol grip radio, though with fewer switches and dials.
Jul 01, 2014, 05:46 PM
In the FrSky forum they had someone ask about it. They say they are planning to make one. Now, that could take a while....

You could see if you can wedge the main board from a Taranis or 9XR-Pro into an existing ground TX... That might give you something to work with.
Aug 06, 2014, 08:29 AM
Hmm, take a look at the new Hitec Lynx 4S! The way they put the screen on top would work perfect for a Taranis hack job, moving the display and keys over to the top of a surface radio body.

Just need to find a suitable donor radio to remove the guts from and make it similar to this.

Possibly could do this to a Turnigy GT3, it's cheap, has enough buttons and the screen size is very similar. We could wire that rotating knob to the S1 pot and come up with a screen cover to move swap the LCD's etc.
Aug 13, 2014, 10:01 AM
I have looked at the possibility to create a replacement board for the GT3C myself but I couldn't really make everything fit since the radio is very compact. You also need to replace the screen since the original is mounted directly on the board and isn't pixel based so it's of no use.

The board I started designing was a direct replacement for the original GT3C board based on Turnigy 9X but maybe it would be better to design a smaller board that could be crammed into different radios.

An OpenTX based wheel radio would be awesome, I would buy one on release day
Dec 17, 2014, 10:20 AM
Thats the thing i can't stop dreaming about. Thats so simple to produce for FrSky imo, just grab ordinary car radio, add few knobs and switches and push OpenTX board in. The fact that there is still no such pistol radio is really frustrating, thats a must have thing when you roll FPVcar , trophy (diff locks, gear switch, lights, winch etc) or anything bit more complicated then simple toy car. Most pimped radios have 4 ch, wth... for anyone who get surfce _after_ air its just a pain. And yes - i can use sticks but i like wheel for cars, i can diy car radio with OpenTX but thats so many affort.. i just want buy and use. When i drive car - imma driver, not a pilot, and not a mechanic man.
So... FrSky, give us some pistols!!!
(just wanted to up this thread)
Jan 26, 2015, 06:48 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Agreed! I left the Hitec Aurora 9x behind when I found out about the FrSky Taranis! Futaba radios are expensive, their receivers are foolishly expensive and their telemetry modules are just insane! ($80 for a temp module????) I want a surface radio with good range and nice telemetry options...I'm using the Taranis for my boats until FrSky comes up with a pistol grip radio. If that doesn't happen in the next year or so, I'll probably break down and buy that Hitec radio.
Jul 14, 2016, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal
You could see if you can wedge the main board from a Taranis or 9XR-Pro into an existing ground TX... That might give you something to work with.
Turnigy 9xr Pro pistol conversion

Still in the works but coming along nicely.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2698018
Jul 14, 2016, 08:50 AM
flysky's gt3b is close. it has a st 8 bit mcu and there is already open source fw for that that adds a ton of features.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...ansmitter.html

the build quality is just sort of ok, though.
Jul 16, 2016, 12:26 PM
The display of the gt3b (and gt3c) is awful though, it's only possible to display three characters so you almost certainly need the manual every time you want to program something as no full words can be displayed and you need to remember a lot of abbreviations.

The firmware is full of features though, 4ws and other great stuff, too bad the display is crap.
Jul 29, 2016, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
flysky's gt3b is close. it has a st 8 bit mcu and there is already open source fw for that that adds a ton of features.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...ansmitter.html

the build quality is just sort of ok, though.
On banggood.com they have these transmitters for sale with a 6 channel mod. They also sell the 6 channel mods separately...
But I do agree that the display is slightly substandard and the build quality as well.
I'm looking for the original version of that transmitter, the one that has a Jr module port...
If anyone has one I have some items for trade and/or I'm willing to pay cash.
Most websites that still advertise them for sale never have them in stock and they haven't changed their price accordingly... the newer version cost around 35 to $40 as where the older version they're still trying to charge $60 for them..
Jul 29, 2016, 10:27 PM
Overkill R/C also has the parts to mod the FlySky pistol-grip:
https://overkillrc.com/radio-modifications
Oct 01, 2017, 11:13 PM

Inspired by this thread...

Sooo, this thread inspired me to create this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2552696

Its a pistol grip Taranis X7 running OpenTX 2.2. You'll need access to a 3d printer, but you can make one too for about $120-140.

Have fun!
Oct 02, 2017, 09:59 AM
Submarines, etc.
Excellent job eficker, but i think mine looks better

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7-Pistol-radio

technically not open-tx, but it will output frsky protocol (D and X series) as well as collect telemetry... and i could install open-tx if i wanted to, but i feel ersky9x is better than open-tx for my needs.
Oct 02, 2017, 11:22 AM
Hey, no offense taken here. I wish I knew about yours. The more options the better! Do you have your design posted somewhere for others to make? Or did you re-purpose an existing shell?

Looks really good. As far as functionality goes, however, I like having some switches near my left thumb for gear changes and diff locks.