Oct 22, 2019, 08:42 PM
Pitot Bandito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double
Bad luck if you have blown 2 in a row. If it makes you feel any better I released the magic smoke from one of my Vectors a few days ago. The cables from the psu shorted. It took me a while to realize it was smoking. The glider, my clothes, car and garage all stink real bad
Well, thanks, Stunt....I even tried a replacement psu/cable....with the same result...dead, no smoke or anything!
At least I don't stink
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2019, 11:51 PM
Can someone please point me to a tutorial on how to connect the Vector to the MyFlyDream Antenna Tracker?
Oct 26, 2019, 10:07 PM
MFD Antenna Tracker has it's own OSD that drives it.
If you really want to use Vector, you'd have to set up both, and hook the audio output of
the MFD OSD into your VTX audio input. Problem is, if you're not actually
looking at the MFD OSD then you won't know when initialized and it's ready to go.
Oct 27, 2019, 11:57 PM
Is there a preferred Antenna Tracker that is used by the Vector community?
Oct 28, 2019, 12:19 AM
Not many people use antenna trackers these days as they add
a level of complexity and setup hassle that's much higher than simply using a
couple of good antennas and a diversity switcher, for not much gain.
However if you must have one, Vector is designed to be used with the
Eagletree EagleEyes ground station which has a controller and servo outputs to
drive any suitable 2 axis servo tracker with a 360 degree servo.
Note that a 360 servo is not the same as the continuous rotation of the MFD tracker.
Oct 28, 2019, 05:49 AM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Also be aware that trackers can literally lose your plane. Probably another reason they are not so popular these days, at long distance on a tight beam the tracker is totally relying on the data coming back on that narrow beam, generally the signal is also needed at a higher level than a grainy image on your monitor. If that noise threshold is exceeded and the tracker wanders off for a second, it's goodbye signal unless you can disable the tracker and then manually relocate the weak signal by manually moving the antenna about (assuming the tilt hasn't gone crazy). I had it happen numerous times with Eagle eyes, Pitlab and Immersion trackers, and as a result I built in a servo override function with manual controls, and setpoints. It seemed like overkill, but it helped save me a few times since. RTH may have worked, but in mountainous terrain it's still a spin of the dice. Really a far better option for me, borne out of tracker failures is just the servo driven antenna head with manual control. I made a basic controller that has coarse and fine direction adjustment, and a preset switch that instantly takes the antennas to a pre determined direction. It's the most reliable option for long range and I haven't bothered with a tracker for a few years since.
Oct 28, 2019, 07:42 AM
FPV Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicecooper
Also be aware that trackers can literally lose your plane. Probably another reason they are not so popular these days, at long distance on a tight beam the tracker is totally relying on the data coming back on that narrow beam, generally the signal is also needed at a higher level than a grainy image on your monitor. If that noise threshold is exceeded and the tracker wanders off for a second, it's goodbye signal unless you can disable the tracker and then manually relocate the weak signal by manually moving the antenna about (assuming the tilt hasn't gone crazy). I had it happen numerous times with Eagle eyes, Pitlab and Immersion trackers, and as a result I built in a servo override function with manual controls, and setpoints. It seemed like overkill, but it helped save me a few times since. RTH may have worked, but in mountainous terrain it's still a spin of the dice. Really a far better option for me, borne out of tracker failures is just the servo driven antenna head with manual control. I made a basic controller that has coarse and fine direction adjustment, and a preset switch that instantly takes the antennas to a pre determined direction. It's the most reliable option for long range and I haven't bothered with a tracker for a few years since.
I agree 100%! I only fly with a tracker for very low proximity flying in a few km around me, for long range (50km+) I manually aim a 23dBi patch - that way I never risk losing tracker direction due to insufficient video signal. Also, the higher the distance the easier it becomes to track the plane anyways (as the antenna's beam gets wider), so I found that after 20km or so, the tracker wasn't needed anyways.
But if you absolutely want one, I'd recommend using the EagleEyes in combination with Pitlab's very sturdy tracker mechanism.
Oct 28, 2019, 08:27 AM

Increase Video range to 5+K

All this experience is greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to fly long range (50+K). I currently can fly about 1K then I lose video. I would like to fly 5 - 10K without a tracker. I have the FXT Viper diversity goggles and 600mw VTX. What changes should I make to increase my range to 5K+? Should I change out my antennas?
Oct 28, 2019, 08:59 AM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Antenna's are your greatest asset, along with receiver sensitivity and noise performance. 600mW will get you to 10K with most reasonable receivers using at least one antenna with around 8-12dB of gain. You should really be getting better than 1Km, I get past that with 25mW, so you should check everything carefully. Make sure your antenna polarisation is matched, LHCP top LHCP etc, and that your antenna connectors are correctly gendered, with a centre pin and a hole at each, also check your frequencies are correct between TX and RX, one channel off can still work for a kilometre. You may also have an under performing transmitter, or it is not switched to it's full output power. It could also be blown, many will still output a pre driver signal still that gets some distance even with it's output transistor blown. Another thing is to ensure your antenna is vertical in flight with plenty of clearance around it. Metal, carbon fibre and even plastic in close proximity will degrade antenna performance.
Oct 28, 2019, 09:13 AM
Which antenna do you use?
Oct 28, 2019, 12:24 PM
Embrace the suck!
There are a lot of variables, your 5.8GHz transmitters may be off from advertised frequency, or may drift when they get hot. The local 5.8GHz noise floor may be high and causing interference. Using the autotune function may have set receiver on the wrong band where it's just a few Hz off from actual transmitted signal.

I use 3.4GHz video and the EagleEyes ground station for tracking on a couple planes, it works well enough for me and will easily exceed your 5km goal. I like using the tracker so I can fly around some, not just out and back in a straight line, that's boring to me.

The nice thing about the EE station is the modular design it allows for, I can swap in any frequency I want to fly, I can output to a 5.8GHz repeater for wireless goggle use, I can record using a ground station based DVR, etc.
Oct 28, 2019, 09:09 PM
I agree that if you're only getting 1Km at 600mW VTX power, then something else is wrong.
I usually use a 9.4dBi Triple Feed patch on my goggles and in a suburban environment,
that'll reach out 2-3km easily, and out in the wild away from the city I've been out 6km with only
a 200mW VTX.

Perhaps your VTX isn't putting out rated power, or polarity of one of your antennas is
backwards, or mixing SMA and RP-SMA connectors, or one of your antennas is broken.
Oct 28, 2019, 09:11 PM
FWIW, I too have had issues with a tracker losing lock and spinning around to point
away from the plane, which is one of the reasons I don't use one any more. That and
it's just a hassle to setup.
Oct 28, 2019, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggens
Is there a preferred Antenna Tracker that is used by the Vector community?
Hi EnderWiggens, there are some reply's here that might turn you off an antenna tracker but ive only had positive experiences with the Vector/Eagle Eyes tracker combo. I would definitely recommend you try one. I use a tracker for 3 different Vector planes and its always works great. One of the benefits of a tracker is you can forget about diversity and just use a single antenna & receiver. I really love being able to fly around in any direction and not having to think once about my antenna orientation.

I'm not familiar with any store bought trackers but they are easy enough to build. Ive used 2 different setups. First one is a servo city heavy duty pan/tilt unit which gives full coverage with 360+ panning and 90 degrees tilt. Second setup I have used is just a 360 GWS sail winch panning servo with no tilt servo. Even this simple setup worked pretty good.
Oct 29, 2019, 11:53 AM

203 : Reboot. Power Cycle, at 00:06:24.40, timestamp 384400

Reviewing the Flight Notifications from yesterdays flight. (see attached) there are several "Reboot. Power Cycle" messages. Is this normal? If it is not normal? Any recommendations on what to look at to fix the problem would be appreciated. Could it be that the Vector is losing power/power glitch during the flight?

Also I noticed after the "Reboot Power Cycle" message there is a "Home Position Recorded" message. Is the vector saving a new Home Position in the middle of the flight? Which would be different from where the flight started. Seems like saving a new home position in the middle of a flight could have unintended consequences.

Many thanks for all the advice on extending video range. Tightening up the antennas helped to greatly improve the video quality and I made it out about 4200 feet. The only reason I had to turn around is the FrSky R9 RX was losing connection. The RSSI was flickering back and forth between 25 and 100.

Quick Reply