Aug 11, 2021, 10:06 PM
No FC that I know of (including Vector) uses air speed to control the elevator. They use
it (if so enabled) to control the throttle.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2021, 11:31 PM
Thanks Daemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
No FC that I know of (including Vector) uses air speed to control the elevator. They use
Aug 12, 2021, 01:01 AM
Come to think of it, doesn't the flight controller of the Boeing 737 Max use air speed to control the elevator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Aug 12, 2021, 01:21 AM
And look how that turned out..
But no. It uses the angle of attack sensor/s to adjust the elevator trim (which
changes the angle of the entire horizontal stab). The whole MCAS system
was a hack to make the 737 Max "handle" like a regular 737
(which has the engines mounted on a different thrust line relative to the CG),
so as to avoid having to re-certify all existing 737 pilots on the new airframe.
Aug 12, 2021, 05:35 AM
Is it more accurate to set the elevator with data from the gyros and accelerometers than to set the elevator using air speed data? It seems like you would need very sensitive gyros and/or accelerometers to accurately set the elevator.
Aug 20, 2021, 04:45 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garalon
I'm trying to convert my Chameleon 7" LR with Micro Vector over to Caddx Vista & DJI goggles.
Has anyone done this? If so, would you be so kind as to let me know how to get the Vector OSD information into the Caddx Vista?
I think you need a ground and the Vtx wire into the Caddx Xmit and Recv., but, I dont want to smoke anything.
Then there is also the goggles that have a custom OSD setting that may or may not be required.
I have searched and searched but have not been able to get a definitive guide/pinout/ etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Garalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrubaker
The ET Vector OSD is not natively compatible with any DJI vtx. This is due to a fundamental difference in how the OSD is handled between analog and digital systems.

If you want Vector flight info on your DJI goggles, you will need to put an Arduino Nano onboard your aircraft between the spare UART on the Vector and the TX/RX on the Vista. The Nano needs to be flashed with crashsalot/VOT_DJIFPVplusBST to convert the Vector Open Telemetry into a DJI-compatible format. I haven't done this myself, but others have.

It should be noted that your OSD will look like the DJI OSD, not the standard ET Vector analog OSD. The data will be there, but you won't have color, menus, or any OSD elements that the DJI OSD protocol does not support.

For some more info:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL1-CU2hRFk
Github project for conversion code: https://github.com/crashsalot/VOT_DJIFPVplusBST
Thanks to all for all of your help and suggestions! This works! there is just one hurdle left:Where/how to access the stick menus? For anyone who has gotten use to using them, not having them is a true inconvenience! I discovered a solution, a little bit more work, but well worth it! The stick menus will not display over the UART so you have to use the white wire out of the Vector video plug,( video out) to drive an analog VTX, then use a set of analog goggles temporarily to access the stick menus. Two flicks of the mode switch and there they are working as normal!
Everything else in the Vector OSD appears in the DJI goggles. It takes a second or two for mode changes etc. to appear, but, it all works!
Thanks again.
Aug 20, 2021, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garalon
Thanks to all for all of your help and suggestions! This works! there is just one hurdle left:Where/how to access the stick menus? For anyone who has gotten use to using them, not having them is a true inconvenience! I discovered a solution, a little bit more work, but well worth it! The stick menus will not display over the UART so you have to use the white wire out of the Vector video plug,( video out) to drive an analog VTX, then use a set of analog goggles temporarily to access the stick menus. Two flicks of the mode switch and there they are working as normal!
Everything else in the Vector OSD appears in the DJI goggles. It takes a second or two for mode changes etc. to appear, but, it all works!
Thanks again.
Awesome! Good job!

I've got a number of Vectors in aircraft (and some on the bench!) and have been debating replacing them as I move more into DJI. Maybe I'll hold onto them a little longer and try and duplicate your results. Sadly, the in-flight menus are one of the best features of the Vector in the first place, so not having that integrated is a massive disadvantage. If DJI ever implements MSP displayport-or-whatever-its-called, on-screen menus would be a reality, but probably not for the Vector since it's closed source (and out of business).
Oct 02, 2021, 10:53 PM
For those looking for a replacement FC that *handles* like the Vector in 3DH mode (dunno
how many other folks besides myself fly in that mode), take a look at the Hobbyeagle A3
line of stabilizers. https://www.hobbyeagle.com/ available at MotionRC or Amazon.
It has a mode called Atti-lock which when combined with the R/R (Rotation Rate) setting
will fly pretty much exactly like Vector 3DH, in that it is true fly by wire
(your stick input requests a specific rate of rotation) and will hold the same attitude
against even the most extreme turbulence (unlike say, iNav, which comes
unglued all the time in Acro). With that combination it also provides 100% PIFFstabilization
while maneuvering (where a lot of other stabilizers disable I-term in whole or progressively,
whenever you move the stick off center). They also have something Vector never did, the ability
to have a single custom mode with different stabilization on different axis. For instance on
my Reptile Dragon II, I'm using Atti-lock+R/R on roll, Normal rate on yaw (just damping), and
nothing at all on pitch. But when I switch to the auto-level mode, it can still stabilize on all axes
normally. They also have an advanced setting to reduce the center stick dead zone
which makes it a lot more responsive than the Vector (or Guardian) which has a
pretty fat dead zone, which got really annoying if you were flying something fast
with reduced input rates (especially on pitch which would feel really sticky).
It automatically incorporates trims every time you power up, so fly, trim while,
in stab-off mode, land, repower, you're good to go in stabilized modes.

But now you're looking at it thinking , "but it doesn't have an OSD or RTH.. "
True, but you can throw an F7 board (like the F722-WPX) running iNav in front of this
controller and and use it to get an OSD (particularly for DJI custom OSD, or Bytefrost canvas mode) and RTH.
The trick is to configure iNav to send servo outputs to SBUS instead of PWM (
serial 2 4194304 115200 115200 0 115200
set servo_protocol = SBUS
and you need F7 to get proper inverted SBUS output). Run SBUS or CRSF from Rx to iNav,
then SBUS out to the A3 stabilizer, and plug all your flight control servos in there. Add a couple lines
in the servo mixer to pass through the Mode and Gain channels from iNav to A3. Then set up iNav to use
Manual mode in all normal mode switch positions so it just passes off stabilization to the A3,
except for RTH which takes a unique position on the mode channel and let's iNav
take over, while A3 goes to stab off, or maybe basic atti-lock. A3 Super 3 can be setup
to do 3 or 6 mode switch positions.

Why all the hassle? The A3's stabilization is *really good*, unlike iNav's inner
stablization loop which is *really bad*. Most folks who use iNav don't even realize
how bad it is, because they've simply never experienced anything better, and
since it doesn't stabilize worth a crap in bumpy air, they eventually just stop
flying in it.

FWIW, I chose the A3 Super 3 and added in their field programmer.
I do most of the programming with their configurator on the PC,
and then tweak things with the field progammer.
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 03, 2021 at 03:02 AM.
Oct 03, 2021, 12:51 AM
I can second that. I've run a few 3d fpv plaes with these using a skylark osd.
The roll rate and stabilisation performance are better than anything Ive tried over many years.
I also use an A3S3 in a los 3d plane and it can do just about anything, drop backwards out of vertical egg beaters and it just snaps back to forward composed flight.
Pretty addictive really.
Oct 05, 2021, 01:45 AM
FWIW, I verified the SBUS output from F7 board running iNav configuration described above.
So one servo lead from any SBUS or CRSF capable Rx to F7 board. Another from that to A3 Super 3 stabilizer
and all flight servos plugged in there. Setup iNav for SBUS output (above), add a couple
mixer lines to pass on Gain and Mode to A3. Then set iNav to Manual for all
normal mode switch positions. Add a RTH overide position (in between the normal
switch positions) that disables stabilization on A3, and lets iNav drive.
Record Rx failsafe positions to trigger that mode (should sound familiar to
Vector folks), and you're pretty much good to go. iNav supplies OSD
and RTH, and A3 provides superior stabilization, and you've got most of
the functionality of a Vector plus it works with DJI OSD or Shark Byte canvas mode.
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 05, 2021 at 02:02 AM.
Oct 16, 2021, 12:52 AM
Registered DSer
.... or just get a an Eagletree Vector.
Oct 16, 2021, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx
.... or just get a an Eagletree Vector.
Which doesn't have support for DJI OSD or Shark Byte canvas mode. I said that.
Other than in my largest couple planes, I just don't fly analog any more.
And a lot of people can't *get* Vector any more, and have been asking for alternatives.
Yes what I'm suggesting is a little quirky but it's actually no larger of an
install in the plane, and it *handles* a little better than Vector (without its
annoying center stick dead zone), and handles about 500% better than iNav.
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 16, 2021 at 02:05 AM.
Oct 16, 2021, 09:34 AM
SweetieInTulum
I haven't tried it but there is a FB group regarding Vector OSD on the DJI system: Vector Open Telemetry and DJI FPV (RCG won't let me post the link)
Oct 16, 2021, 11:34 AM
And I don't do FB for a lot of reasons. Yes Vector can output Mavlink, and there is a Mavlink to
MSP converter project which can be consumed by DJI (no longer supported by Shark Byte) but it means
a recompile any time you want to add/change anything in the OSD. Vector also lacks an arming
signal so there's no good way to control DJI's power level/start flight timer/start recording
automatically. Some time ago I actually modified the mavlink2msp project and
got it to read Vector's telemetry directly, but still got hung up on the arming signal problem.
It was going to be something like, throttle > 0 speed > 1m/s = arming and such.
Oct 24, 2021, 03:03 AM

Shark Byte

Has anyone looked at squirting OSD metrics from Vector to Shark Byte?

I am in the process of upgrading my analog FPV wings to SharkByte, but would like to take my Vectors with me in some form.

Has anyone got Shark Byte canvas mode working with Vector

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by MartHR; Oct 24, 2021 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply