Which Servos Experience the Most Strain Flying 3D? (Wings vs Tail) - RC Groups
Jun 27, 2014, 08:12 PM
Discussion

Which Servos Experience the Most Strain Flying 3D? (Wings vs Tail)

In your experience or knowledge, which servos on a 4 servo 3D airplane experience the most strain and most likely to strip? I am setting up a 40" 3D plane and have 4 HS-65's: 2 metal gear servos and 2 karbonite servos. I cant decide which set should get the metal gear.

The ailerons are the LARGEST control surfaces, but since there are 2 servos which work together they share the load.

The rudder/elevator are SMALLER control surfaces but only 1 controls each degree of freedom.

So which would it be? how would you recommend setting up 2 MG and 2 karbonite gears. Input is appreciated, eager to hear your response, thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2014, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinazn10
In your experience or knowledge, which servos on a 4 servo 3D airplane experience the most strain and most likely to strip? I am setting up a 40" 3D plane and have 4 HS-65's: 2 metal gear servos and 2 karbonite servos. I cant decide which set should get the metal gear.

The ailerons are the LARGEST control surfaces, but since there are 2 servos which work together they share the load.

The rudder/elevator are SMALLER control surfaces but only 1 controls each degree of freedom.

So which would it be? how would you recommend setting up 2 MG and 2 karbonite gears. Input is appreciated, eager to hear your response, thanks!
I would run the metal gears on the tail but them again I'm used to flying EF planes
Jun 28, 2014, 12:13 AM
I was always told tp put the least likely to strip on the tail. Thats what I would do.
Jun 28, 2014, 05:41 AM
Slopeaholic
Rudder
Jun 28, 2014, 08:28 AM
Rudder is constantly getting banged. In flight and handling! My second metal gear servo would be on elevator. Same reason as the first, but maybe not as bad? Karbonite on aileron no problem.
Jun 28, 2014, 12:48 PM
sounds like theres a good consensus on the tail, makes a lot of sense, thanks fellas!
Jun 28, 2014, 05:48 PM
Tail, though depending on your flying style, all 4 could be under equal strain.
Jul 04, 2014, 03:08 AM
I agree with express

You have to think that essentially the ailerons work together to roll left/right and the tail surfaces rely only on the single servo each one has controlling it. So i would put the karbonite servos on the ailerons and the metal gears on the tail.

Also its always good to make sure the rudder has a good strong servo when 3d flying.

-Mike
Jul 04, 2014, 07:00 PM
Also consider which one you can afford to lose and still land.
Jul 04, 2014, 08:08 PM
On a foamy, mine anyway, they're so used to eating dirt I don't think it makes a lot of difference. ;^)

My least favorite to loose would be elevator. But even that is survivable. Just roll it over into knife edge. If it's stuck deflected up or down you'll be turning one way or the other, but you won't be dropping like a rock. You should be able to fly it down fairly close to the ground and then just pull the power?