Part 1: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=122951

Part 2: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...15#post1502315

Part 3: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...61&postcount=1

Carry on

Martin
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2004, 11:36 AM
Balsa!!!
Pulling it off? So easily? Isn't that quite weak?

I'd use epoxy instead.

ALSO: how do you put the micro control horns into the control surfaces?
Last edited by csisfun; Apr 11, 2004 at 11:40 AM.
Apr 11, 2004, 11:37 AM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hunter
And the beat goes on.... Thanks Martin.
BTW I have posted pics of the plastic slide ons and thrust mod on my website under Present Hanger.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Apr 11, 2004, 12:18 PM

Bent Dihedral Brace

I got my buddy box late last week and got an opportunity to let the kids take my prized slow stick for a test fly over the weekend. It was kind of windy, but I have been having a lot of fun playing stringless kite so we went out to take a couple of trips around the back pasture.
The 9 year old did quite a bit of porpoiseing but finally was able to do a few figure eights up high, the 5 year old decided that the best and only thing the Slow Stick did was loop, one after the other…With some wind and the continuous looping I could see that there might be an issue, then the 19 year old asked me if it could only loop one direction, hmm, I don’t know, let’s find out. An outside loop later I decided it was time to bring it down and asses the damage.
I pulled the wing braces off and took a picture to show the difference from stock angle to where it ended up, it also managed to crack the wing right in the center, but nothing a little epoxy could not fix. I now have a new set of brass braces and a little extra stranded packing tape along with a liberal dose of epoxy in the center of the wing.

Brad
Flying Money Pit

Apr 11, 2004, 12:26 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
No actually, you guys are using hot glue all of the time. If you attach the GWS horn like normal I put a good drop where the two plastic joints meet. Not something I would want to have in the long run, but for a few test flights it holds just fine for a plane this light.
Apr 11, 2004, 02:04 PM

Engine

I see some of the s/s with the motor mounted below the fuse and some above the fuse what difference does it make?
Jerico
Apr 11, 2004, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerico
I see some of the s/s with the motor mounted below the fuse and some above the fuse what difference does it make?
Jerico
Mount it above. The s/s tends to nose up when you apply full throtle and the high thrust line you get by mounting the motor on top helps.

Allons, Randy
Apr 11, 2004, 02:38 PM
Been There! Done That!
Also More prop clearence is a plus!!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Apr 11, 2004, 09:57 PM
Anyone seen Aeropenguin latley?
I need to order some of those brass dihedral braces.
Had my first wing-fold incident.
Anyone have much luck with repairing the wing and flight thereafter?
Pretty much just cracked it down the center.
Of course, lost a prop and motor!
Nothing like having it happen about 45 ft in the air.. OUCH...
Apr 11, 2004, 10:06 PM

try this

Make from 1/32nd or 1/16th plywood as shown in the photo, smear 5 min epoxy on one side and hold in place till set. Color with red maker.

Allons, Randy
Apr 11, 2004, 10:10 PM
I like that!! How was the weight diff?
Have you ever had to do a wing repair after the folding?
Trying to decide if it is worth fixing.. >shrugs<
Still a Newbie.
Apr 11, 2004, 10:14 PM

Help for an eclectically challenged individual

Ok, time to get educated. I thought I kinda understood how all this electric stuff worked, and I mean kinda.. I wanted to support the LHS so I scooted on down there and picked myself up a Thunder Power 3S 1900 battery, I just love my TP 2S 1900 and thought it would be good to start getting ready for my brushless setup.
I am running the stock 300 with the D gearbox that it came with and figure I have a good 20 hours on the motor so it is probably getting close to end of life, why not speed things up with more voltage.
Here I am, climbing like there is no tomorrow when the motor seems to sputter, hmm I think, then nothing, bubkiss, nada, I am chasing the darn thing on foot. “Landed” over at the neighbors, luckily their fence slowed it down A little tape on the horizontal stabilizer and it is back in business.
The only thing I can figure out is I was pulling to many amps for my speed controller, it is the GWS300, rated at 8 normal 15 peak.. Anyone have any thoughts?
My 7.4 volt has never caused any probs, but this 11.1 sure has.
The other question is should I go Nipi, or something else for the brushless setup, and what size prop/gearbox if not a Nipi?

Brad
The Flying Money Pit
Apr 11, 2004, 11:01 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Renegade, the LHS can order a complete set of wings for this plane for $12. I saw every kind of damage that could be possible to these wings in he past 2 days, almost all of them were fixed with epoxy. I think the guys are just bending their own brass tubing for those wing braces rather than buying them premade. If this helps any as well, a lot of the guys had Himax 2025 motors in thier planes and stock gear box. I forget what prop they were using though.

I adjusted my control surfaces today, and now I have a much better sweep. I also topped off my LiPo pack for a flight tommorow.
Apr 11, 2004, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade-I
I like that!! How was the weight diff?
Have you ever had to do a wing repair after the folding?
Trying to decide if it is worth fixing.. >shrugs<
Still a Newbie.
Its light enough, I used only epoxy on the fiberglass rods, the actual wing joint and the brace and thats it, the wing is done. None of that tape stuff for me.
Never folded a wing so I never had one to repair, but , I'm sure this will work.
If your wing is already broken yuo dont have a lot to loose. I wouldnt even bother replaceing the alum. joiner.

Allons, Randy
Apr 12, 2004, 01:56 AM
hi Guys,

Does anyone know how to fasion a new front wing mount Saddle,
The black plastic part that hold the front part of the wing to the fuse w/ rubber band.

I broke mine into a million pieces when i did a power dive into the mud.

and no one is carrying stock in the world!
sigh...
any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

Quick Reply