Jun 25, 2014, 07:52 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Thread OP
Gallery

Sopwith Dolphin

The Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin was a British fighter aircraft manufactured by the Sopwith Aviation Company. It was used by the Royal Flying Corps and its successor, the Royal Air Force, during the First World War. The Dolphin entered service on the Western Front in early 1918 and proved to be a formidable fighter. The aircraft was not retained in the postwar inventory, however, and was retired shortly after the war.

Latest blog entry: RCM Magazine Covers
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2016, 02:47 PM

Ever hear of the W.R. Titus Dolphin drawings from 1964?

Dear davidterrell80:

The PIPE Here...now, I'm not certain IF you're the one that sent these to me in the first place, but SOMEONE here at RCG got in touch with me about my continuing interest in Old Rhinebeck's Sopwith Dolphin reproduction... currently, it IS being rebuilt to FLY again with direct-drive Hisso SOHC V-8 power, like it did before its September 1990 engine fuel pump breakdown and resultant "pancake" crash [with almost NO serious damage to the airframe] into the tall trees around ORA...

...but I've got a full-size copy of the W.R. Titus drawn, THREE SHEET set of Sopwith Dolphin scale detail drawings, that I've been slowly scanning onto my hard disk, with six panels per sheet, and bringing each half-dozen set of JPEG-file format "tiles" together within my 64 bit CorelDRAW X7 bitmap/vector drawing environment to re-create EACH sheet from the set, to eventually place those up here as full-scale PDF files someday.

As I've also got DesignCAD 3DMax v.25.2 on my PC (with version 26 just released), with an apparent capability for full-blown PDF output all on its own, I should easily be able to place each one of the three completed sheets, once all three are completed, each as a completed JPEG file, and pump out a PDF from the sheet without any other software title needed to complete a conversion to PDF for our needs. If I DID need a separate PDF-creating title to successfully achieve this, I'd be saving up to get a copy of FinePrint Software's "pdfFactory Pro" title, being a user of an earlier version of that firm's "pdfFactory" software some years ago.

Just thought I'd let you know that I'm working on what could be a magnificent addition to what's available in this thread already...I had to work out a decent process to do the six-scans-per-sheet with for the W.R. Titus Sopwith Dolphin trio of drawing sheets, and thankfully, that sort of "stitching together" of multi-tile/panel drawings is something that I've found I've got QUITE a knack for doing, through using CorelDRAW and Corel Photo-Paint!

Thanks and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Jan 15, 2018, 08:09 PM

Here's a "vintage" 1980s (?) film on ORA's Dolphin...

Dear Fellow RCGroups Sopwith Dolphin Lovers:

The PIPE Here again...until I can get to doin' all THREE sheets of the W.R. Titus Sopwith Dolphin scale drawing sets up here as fully ready-to-use, scanned drawings for our needs, a video showed up at ORA's "fans" website of a short, "silent" video of their now under-restoration Dolphin in the air before its September 1990 fuel pump-failure caused its "pancaking" into the trees near ORA's airstrip...

Dolphin Air2Air (2 min 43 sec)

...enjoy, even though it's a fair bit fuzzy AND jumpy in spots...!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Jan 24, 2018, 09:07 AM
REALLY looking forward to seeing some definitive Dolphin drawings!
TIA!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 22, 2018, 10:47 AM

JUST got the latest update on ORA's Dolphin restoration...

Dear packardpursuit:

The PIPE Here again...get a look at:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

...for "the latest" on ORA's Sopwith Dolphin restoration...

...as my mom is nearing her 82nd birthday, and is now recuperating from her first-ever broken bone in her life (left tibia, broken early this month from a fall) I'm busy doing "intensified care-taking" lately to help her out, so getting back to the W.R. Titus-drawn Sopwith Dolphin plan-scans to share in this thread IS going to be a bit "understandably" delayed.

Just hoping that you understand, that's all...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Feb 22, 2018, 09:31 PM
Family first. The hobbies can wait.
Catch you when you get to it
May 16, 2018, 03:08 PM

Here's the "first preview" of the 1st sheet from the W.R. Titus scale drawings...

Dear Fellow Sopwith "Flying Zoo" Lovers here at RCG:

The PIPE Here again...my mother's finally home AND doing "somewhat better" these days, so, from my already-completed "stitching together" of drawing sheet no.1 of the three-sheet set of W.R.Titus' triple-sheet set of Sopwith Dolphin scale drawings...

...is a 200 dpi version of that first sheet...it is NOT YET scaled "properly" for a conversion to PDF, and I DO need to complete the scanning process for Sheets 2 & 3, before I can go any further on this set we'd all love to see.

Just offering a "brief preview" of how well each sheet should be able to be "re-stitched-together" for eventual scaling to the original size of all of them...

Thanks and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!

Quick Reply