Jun 24, 2014, 09:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

BJ-Craft Fantasista 70.....Thoughts?

I was wondering what your thoughts were on this plane. I've seen this plane at the f3aunlimited.com web site and looks interesting. I'm wondering what your thoughts were especially about the wing design as well as the full flying stab.

I was thinking of either this plane or the sebart MythoS 50e.

Thanks for any input.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2014, 01:53 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Hi,
This plane seems a very nice plane. There is an assembly thread on it at rcuniverse Electric Pattern forum:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...ista-70-a.html

Seems like Futabas 5055 410kv, Hacker A50-16S 356kv or OS OMA-5025 375kv motors with 6 cell LiPo should be fine with this model. I think it is a Futaba 5055 410kv they show to mount in photos in the PDF assembly manual for this model.
You can for this model even buy an optional belt drive and mount a suitable motor in that.
http://www.50products.com/motor/belt...tspecialG.html

It has smaller wing area compared to MythoS 50E:
Fantasista 70: 37.6 square decimeter / 583 square inch (according to assembly manual)
MythoS 50E: 52 square decimeter / 806 square inch (assording to Sebart 2014 News cataloge)
That is about 38% more wing area on MythoS 50E.

Weight without flight battery according to same sources:
Fantasista 70: 2800-2900 gram / 98.8-102.3 oz
MythoS 50E: 2750 gram / 97.0 oz

Would be interesting to read how Fantasista 70 flies.
There are some videos on it on Youtube:
Fantasista 70 50Proシングルリダクション (6 min 36 sec)

5月27日 ファンタジスタ70 アドヴァンスA 練習フライト (5 min 59 sec)

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Jun 25, 2014 at 02:06 AM.
Jun 25, 2014, 11:39 AM
Hi -

I have also had my eye on the Fantasita. I currently have a Sebart Angel with more than 500 flights on it and I thinking about replacing with something a little newer. In terms of aethetics, I think that the Fantasita looks a little better than the Mythos.

The biggest concern I have is simply the finished weight. The Angel has a fairly large wing and at 6 lbs and change (on 5S) it is fairly light. A slightly heavier plane would not be a bad thing on windy days. If I were to get the Fantasita, I would try to see if I can be flown on 5S; the plane does not seem large enough for a 6S system.

Maybe buy both?

Teo
Jun 27, 2014, 06:19 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
I have the Fantasista 120, the big sister to the 70.
It is a beautiful plane, much better in person than the pictures.
Very happy with the build quality and finish.
Jun 27, 2014, 08:42 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
ltc,
How would You describe the flight characteristics on Fantasista 120?
It could be a clue how the smaller 70 version fly.

/Bo
Jun 27, 2014, 08:58 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
I'll let you know in a week or two. Just finishing radio install and programming.
These 80 hour work weeks really put a damper on my hobby
Aug 09, 2014, 03:53 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee
ltc,
How would You describe the flight characteristics on Fantasista 120?
It could be a clue how the smaller 70 version fly.

/Bo
Just back from a successful maiden with the Fantasista 120
Nothing but smiles.

Plane flew beautifully, no issues with the flying stab. Slightly nose heavy for the maiden, but the 2 4s 4500 packs from Mike at F3AUnlimited will end up almost centered on the battery tray

Jeti DC-16 with Mezon ESC, Falcon 19x12, never went much past half throttle (breaking in packs), plenty of power. ESC never exceeded 112 deg F, used about 2500 mAH in 8 minutes of casual trim flights.

Very clean rolls, no tendency to drop a wing, plenty of stall warning, good knife edge and inverted...again, just a maiden and trim familiarity flights. On a side note, the Auto Trim function on the Jeti is great.

Presents well in the air, good visibility.
Love this plane
Aug 10, 2014, 06:27 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
8 more flights today (limited by only having 2 flight packs and still slow charging them during conditioning) ... If I had more packs I would be flying non stop

The plane is fantastic. Flew a Sportsman sequence and didn't even use 2000mAH.
The plane flies very well at half throttle and slows very nicely for landing. CG is getting close, very good up lines, slight pull towards canopy on downlink. Zero mixing.

I am sure the 70 size flies just as nicely as the 120, which makes buying either one a "no brainer" IMHO.
Aug 11, 2014, 12:20 AM
Thread OP
Sounds like your one happy camper. Glad to hear your enjoying your plane.
Aug 11, 2014, 06:16 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Very happy
Thanks to Mike at F3AUnlimited ... great guy to work with, couldn't have done it without him.
Oct 03, 2014, 02:26 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Based on how happy I've been with the 110/120 (still don't know which is correct!) Fantasista, I am going to order the Fantasista 70 this winter.

The hangup has been obtaining the Type G single belt reduction drive from 50Products.com in Japan. It is shown in the manual and on several sites and Youtube videos and looks interesting. Yes, I know I can build it with a front or rear mounted outrunner, but I'm fascinated by the belt drive unit ... same reaction the first time I saw the Brenner Contra...

The hangup has been locating the drive. Strangely enough, 50Products does not ship the units outside of Japan and the only Japanese dealer I've located said he is expecting units the end of October; and he will sell/ship to the USA. He also sells the laser cut plywood mounting frame shown in the BJCraft instructions as well. Fingers crossed....

Plan B is to try and locate someone in Japan (thru my job since we deal with Japan weekly) and ask if I send them payment if they could purchase it in Japan and then send it to me.

Another interesting discovery is that 50Products shows the belt drive with a Scorpion 900kV motor. I emailed Scorpion asking about this motor since it does not show up on their website. They replied that they've never heard of that motor (even after they look at the pictures) and guess that it was a special build for Japan?
Not being a big fan of Scorpion motors anyways, I will plan on purchasing the Plettenberg Orbit 25-10 (I've been very happy with the Plettenberg Xtra Evo 30-10 and their email support from Germany), which I can locate and purchase.

Once i have the belt drive in my hands, it's off to Mike at F3Aunlimited to order everything else (plane, ESC, servos, hardware, etc)
Oct 03, 2014, 04:56 PM
Thread OP
I'm almost positive that not very long ago I saw an OS gear / belt reduction unit for sale. It was one of the main 2 websites but I'm pretty sure it was here in RC groups though. If I remember right it wasn't cheap though.
Oct 03, 2014, 05:34 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
I believe that was the full size OS F3A unit for a 2m plane. About $1100 from Tower Hobbies.
The type G is designed around the 70 size plane and is actually shown in the youtube video of the Fantasista 70 flying a sequence in Japan.

The type G drive is about $350 (assuming 100yen to 1 USD) and a brushless motor is about $200 or so...
http://www.50products.com/motor/belt...tspecialG.html

Like I said, it just fascinates me like the Brenner did (and yes, I did buy a plane with the Brenner Contra unit)
It's hard to justify anything about flying RC except I enjoy it so whatever ....
Oct 03, 2014, 06:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc

It's hard to justify anything about flying RC except I enjoy it so whatever ....
Your allowed to enjoy it. We work way to hard in life not to enjoy a little fun!
Oct 03, 2014, 06:51 PM
Thread OP
You were correct.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=998792

Quick Reply