This thread is privately moderated by Red.Sneakers, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 24, 2014, 08:59 PM
2016 The Year for Air Shows
Thread OP
Build Log

Retro Junior ground school

Retro Junior ground school

I present my Durafly Retro Junior 1100mm. After a few flights: I love this plane. As they say "The #2 feeling in the world is flying. The #1 feeling is nice a landing!" Very easy to land. Flapperon will slow it down. The Ailerons Do work when there is enough wind over the surface to give them authority.

My First impressions: well boxed, well build, nicely painted, strong foam, no complaints. Repair parts are available, if needed. Love the retro balsa free flight look. The plane is heavier (i.e. not a Slow Flyer) and bigger than I expected. Wings have a large area and large amount of dihedral. The stock plane is tail heavy. Everything screws on and can be taken apart for repair, storage or shipping. Decorated in honor of the bygone days when folks were proud of their AMA membership and displayed it on the plane.

Here's looking at you kid
click on picture to view larger
Name: Retro Junior.jpg
Views: 155
Size: 679.4 KB
Description: AMA Retro Junior Name: Here's looking at you kid.jpg
Views: 153
Size: 267.9 KB
Description: Here's looking at you kid Name: Fire Access.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 278.7 KB
Description: Fire Access

There were a few TrailBlazers before me who posted their observations. The information they shared formed the basis for my build & Tx setting. I thank them for showing the way. You can visit their Retro Jr. forums by clicking below.

rcgReader ~ Modifications And Maiden
J Mitchel ~ Retro Junior Maiden Flight Report
Justwingit ~ Discussion Durafly Retro Series 1100mm Junior
RCPilot1234 ~ Finally! Durafly Junior Review
DismayingObservation ~ Durafly Retro Junior Plug-and-Fly Review
FNFAL ~ Durafly Stock 20A ESC programming
BHOFM ~ ESC / Prop / Motor mods
Red Sneakers ~ Why I own the Retro Jr.

Notes on the build: I followed rcgReader suggestions.

Updates:
[…] installed an Altitude Micro Sensor V4. At 6 grams & $30 from HK, it's a fun accessory. Easy to see through the clear glass after you land, see comments Altitude Micro Sensor or click here.
[...] want to learn to fly a tail heavy plane, no problem, just fail to balance Jr. correctly, see comments Want To Have Real Fun! or click here.
[...] added a Fail Safe external connection, see comments Fail Safe Belly Button or click here

[…] checked all installed components to assure they were tight & secure
[…] added my own decals to create a unique livery
[…] added a bead of Foam Tac to the fuse before securing the horizontal stabilizer - can be removed with Naphtha, if needed
[…] retrofitted the 6 channel AR610 Rx inside the canopy below the wings
[…] configured Aileron Differential & flapperon
[…] replaced the stock tires (20.4g/each) with Dubro Treaded Light Weight Wheel #300TL (39.5g/each) for a total of 38.2g added. Same size just heavier to help balance the plane without adding dead weight.
[…] added a WW2/Classic Era Parkfly Pilot (H39 x W43 x D24mm)
[…] added servo wire extension cables to the ailerons
[…] use a ThunderPower 3s ~ 1300mAh 45C battery
[…] added The Safe Tag System - positive ESC lockout

Here is a pretty decent Jr. Review. Wish these guys much success.

(1 min 8 sec)

(0 min 24 sec)

(0 min 15 sec)

Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Aug 12, 2015 at 06:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2014, 09:32 PM
Haha looks awesome good stuff!! I like the Retro Junior, it's loads of fun to fly. Yours looks tops!
Jun 24, 2014, 09:56 PM
Thread OP

Thanks Last flight was to test 12mph (19kph) wind and it flew just great. Almost pulled off a 3D elevator landing.
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Jun 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM.
Jun 25, 2014, 12:02 AM
Pronoun trouble...
That pilot looks great! My Retro Jr. is in need of one like him. Where'd he come from?
Jun 25, 2014, 06:25 AM
Thread OP

Pilot came from Hobby King. Try this link -> https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Parkfly+Pilot+ or search for ' Classic Era Parkfly Pilot '.

The one in the pic is this one -> https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22788

Watch the size, this is as big as you can get.

Definitely a photogenic chap.

Cheers
Jun 25, 2014, 09:28 AM
Pronoun trouble...
Yeah, there isn't a lot of room in that cockpit since the floor is so close to the bottom of the windows.

Thanks for the info!
Jun 30, 2014, 07:41 PM
Closed Account
Great Looking JR.
Jul 01, 2014, 06:02 AM
Thread OP

Thanks. It made me look again & I added two more forum links to some great posts.

Seems to me many love the Retro Jr but few want to admit they own one
Jul 01, 2014, 06:58 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers

Thanks. It made me look again & I added two more forum links to some great posts.

Seems to me many love the Retro Jr but few want to admit they own one
I like it's looks. I see many complaining about the dihedral and having ailerons.

Some saying it causes it to fly funny. Looks to me it would be a fair aileron trainer.

I believe it would grow on a person. I like the old style planes.
Jul 01, 2014, 12:29 PM
Thread OP

Altitude Micro Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost
I like it's looks. I see many complaining about the dihedral and having ailerons.

Some saying it causes it to fly funny. Looks to me it would be a fair aileron trainer.

I believe it would grow on a person. I like the old style planes.

I agree with you. I have no complaints, I did the research and made sure the CG & the control surfaces were correct. I agree it would make a fair aileron trainer. I went back to my maiden flight and pulled off a pic of a steep banked turn to avoid a tree after a fly by. It was all aileron.

I installed an Altitude Micro Sensor V4. Made a first flight this morning before the heavy winds came. Caught a thermal towards the end, it was high by still comfortable seeing it. At 6 grams & $30 from HK, it's a fun accessory. Easy to see through the clear glass after you land. Maiden on sensor = 682 feet.

Update: per the user manual: if the sensor will be installed in a location where the sensing element (the small rectangular metal or plastic part next to the LED) will be exposed to direct sunlight, please cover that area of the sensor with black tape direct sunlight can sometimes cause the readings to vary.
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Jul 19, 2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: update
Jul 01, 2014, 12:32 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers

I agree with you. I have no complaints, once I did the research and made sure the CG & the control surfaces were correct. I agree it would make a fair aileron trainer. I went back to my maiden flight and pulled off a pic of a steep bank turn to avoid a tree after a fly by. It was all aileron.

I installed an Altitude Micro Sensor V4. Made a first flight this morning before the heavy winds came. Caught a thermal towards the end, it was high by still comfortable seeing it. At 4 grams & $30 from HK, it's a fun accessory. Easy to see through the clear glass after you land. Maiden on sensor = 682 feet.
Now that was Cool.
Jul 03, 2014, 10:01 PM
Thread OP

Decided to post the avoidance maneuver ~ Fear The Tree

(0 min 24 sec)

Jul 03, 2014, 10:14 PM
Closed Account
I liked that..seems to me one could keep the ailerons frozen ( taped ) and fly it Rudder and Elevator and do just as well....again I believe it would be a great aileron trainer.

Probably a little mix of rudder-aileron would make it smooth....just by looking at it fly in the vid.

I do like it's looks that is for sure

How well does it do in grass take off and landings ?
Jul 03, 2014, 10:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost
I liked that..seems to me one could keep the ailerons frozen ( taped ) and fly it Rudder and Elevator and do just as well....again I believe it would be a great aileron trainer.

Probably a little mix of rudder-aileron would make it smooth....just by looking at it fly in the vid.

I do like it's looks that is for sure

How well does it do in grass take off and landings ?

Don't know why some folks freeze the ailerons, as many have suggested. I have aileron differential active and it rolls without any rudder mix. Great trainer for aileron, helps you learn when to manually apply rudder and elevator on the turns. Also, with aileron active I have two flap positions, one for thermal & one for landing - helps you train using the flap switch (without looking).

ROG from grass, ha, ha, ha. It came with a 7 inch prop. The manual calls for an 8 inch. The 7 inch will not takeoff from grass. I want to bench test the 8 inch props - 8x4E & 8x6E & 8x3.8SF. One pilot suggested a 9 inch and his bench test says it doubles the watts (if I recall, from 100 watts to 200), may be too much for the stock ESC.

Landings on grass are great The wheels are far forward & have a sturdy wire connection. Makes anyone look good. Makes me smile after every landing.

All in all, it flies and lands like the Free Flight models it is designed from.
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Jul 22, 2014 at 06:58 AM. Reason: update
Jul 04, 2014, 03:52 PM
Closed Account
I see it advertises a 8 X 6 Prop it's suppose to come with this plane ?

I also see HK has a sale for $99.99 gonna pull the trigger and get one while on sale and here in the U.S. Warehouse.... gonna have to get it,

Quick Reply