Jun 24, 2014, 03:57 PM
Electronics and RC
Thread OP
New Product

HobbyKing Dr. Mad Thrust 40mm 8 Blade EDF

Link

Added to the HobbyKing website today

How do these electroplated fans perform?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2014, 10:22 AM
we can take off without that
Looks impressive, nice find!
I hope they do a 30mm version too.

Just looking at the stats 48g is a bit heavy considering JPower 50mm fan is only 50g
Jun 25, 2014, 11:39 AM
Need 4 Speed!
Hmmm...I wonder who the doctor is for this fan . I can confirm it produces 285 g of thrust on 3s. Amazing bang for the buck! HK worked very hard to develop this product for the micro edf modeler.
Last edited by pdawg; Jun 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM.
Jun 26, 2014, 11:57 AM
Hmmm... shiny

There is obvious aesthetic appeal, but I would be interested in knowing if the electroplating adds any strength.
Jun 26, 2014, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat13
Hmmm... shiny

There is obvious aesthetic appeal, but I would be interested in knowing if the electroplating adds any strength.
No , I think it will just ad weight
Jun 26, 2014, 06:50 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Speaking of performance, this fan pushes a stock Electrolyte to 80mph. Pretty hot for a micro edf! Additionally the fan/motor combo runs extremely cool on 3S. No problems were experienced during extended runs at 300 watts.
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
Jun 26, 2014, 07:53 PM
next time out don't forget the camera ...
I just want to hear this bad boy ... lol

thanks.
Jun 27, 2014, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg
Amazing bang for the buck! .
I see what you mean now
Jun 27, 2014, 06:24 PM
pdawg, do you know the dia. of the motor shaft ?

Also , is this a press on fan ?

Thanks.
Jun 27, 2014, 08:20 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Jumo004,

Good question. It is a press fit rotor and it is not easily coming off the shaft. Not sure what the shaft size is but it's bigger than 2mm.
Aug 03, 2014, 10:06 PM
MigLovin'
Pdawg, you say it runs cool on 3S... knowing you I'd think you've tried it on 4S. Have you? If so, how were results?
Aug 04, 2014, 08:35 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Hi Jim,

It's unlikely this test will provide you any useable data but atleast you can hear the prototype run. I was sent this sample a while ago. You will notice the black shroud but I assure you it's identical to the production design...other than the chrome. A variety of tests needed to be completed with this sample so I was very careful not to smoke it. I was using a YEP 30 and ran into some interference between the esc and the motor. It is a noticeable sound. Since running the motor on 4s was not a priority, the test was stopped before the heat built up. I never tried to problem solve the issue so it's unclear what was going on. Possibly another esc or different timing would have solved it.

Dr mad thrust 40mm 4s partial run-up (1 min 44 sec)
Aug 06, 2014, 09:52 AM
MigLovin'
Yeah, the numbers weren't looking as good as I'd hoped for. He must have had the controller settings a little goofed. How is the quality of the motor/windings, and do you think an extract for a re-wind or replacement is a viable option?
Aug 06, 2014, 11:47 AM
Oddly intriguing Gizmo.
The chrome plating is imo a Hideous and pointless affectation...a shame that.
Shoulda spent their $ on a rotor adaptor instead.
Motor does look good (better than the chrome bits would suggest ) at least of a proven decent design configuration.
Anyone know what the size of the shroud motor tube is ?
How does one get the rotor off/on ...reliably.. for whatever reason , is my main concern ?
Aug 09, 2014, 01:52 PM
i have problem with mine, the cone not turn truth, this can be seen with eyes while rotate the rotor slowly with the hand, i fly the fan 2 minutes and the rotor failed with one blade braked. i don't know if all fan are like mine but seems very poor quality for the rotor...

Quick Reply