Jun 24, 2014, 01:23 PM
Discussion

Spektrum DX6 2014 Programming Tips and Tricks

Hi, the Spektrum DX6 2014 thread is currently more than 130 pages long and half of it is people talking about the pre-orders.

That thread is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&highlight=dx6

After reading through the manual of my new DX6, I decided to start this thread to focus on advanced programming of the DX6 and other tips and tricks. Plus, it would be nice to have links to support files and support pages as well as links to where to download pre-programmed models and what not.

There are other things I'd like to touch.

DX6 Manual is very basic

I feel Spektrum's manual for the DX6/DX9 is way too basic. It's almost like a "quick start guide" - only one with like 50 pages. While all the features are explained, I feel that telling people how they work is not enough. Many times throughout the book I kept asking myself, "why this?" or "why that?" Given this is an entry level computer radio, I feel I would like more information on why I would want to use a given feature, not simply have the feature explained.

Scenarios

Another good idea would be scenarios. Say for example, the manual could explain various scenarios where a certain feature could come in handy. Yes, they do here and there, but the problem is that for many of the features, they just assume you know and simply tell you how to do it, rather than also why.

Before I even download pre-programmed model files from the Spektrum Community website, I programmed a little HZ Champ from Scratch. I was pretty happy with the program I came up with for it. Then, I downloaded the file for that plane from the Spektrum Community site and I noted the difference between my program and Spektrum's program. Not bad. Good learning experiment. I was not far off, so what I did was modify Spektrum's file to fit my needs.

Downloadable model program files

I did notice however, that many, many Horizon models are missing from the downloadable program files. I downloaded the files from the DX9 page, since the DX6 page doesn't have them yet. The DX9 page is here: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...rodId=SPMR9900

So, is there another support page to download other programs, say for the likes of the Apprentice S, Radian, UMX Radian and Nano QX? If so, please reply below with links.

If you have any other tips and tricks for programming the DX6, feel free to post them below.

Also, if you know of any guides than can help clear up the use of certain features, specially for intermediate pilots like myself, feel free to post them.

Note that this thread came about after countless hours of reading manuals and forum posts on RCGroups. If this takes off, it can really help beginner and intermediate (and even expert) DX6 users find good info in ONE place.

I'm ready to fly my Champ for the first time with my DX6. Then I'll do the UMX Radian since I don't expect to use expos on that one, or other complicated programming on such a simple plane. In fact, I might duplicate the Champ model programming file and modify it to work with my UMX Radian. Then I'll program the Apprentice S and my Nano QX, for those two, I might need to read more here to get the programming right. But then again, someone might chime in with the best place to download model files for those two.

For reference, DX6 product page on Spektrum site: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdId=SPM6700
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2014, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteboarderdc
I downloaded the files from the DX9 page, since the DX6 page doesn't have them yet.
... and won't in most cases, since the DX6 is intended to use DX9 and DX18 files. Eventually the page you see now named "DX9 & DX18..." will be something even more inclusive.

Andy
Jun 24, 2014, 05:21 PM
Hi Andy, thanks for chiming in. Wish some obviously popular models were there - Like the Nano QX and Apprentice S. Regardless, I made strides learning to program in one night. I expect it will all make perfect sense in a few more days... and I'll just be programming from scratch.
Jun 25, 2014, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
... and won't in most cases, since the DX6 is intended to use DX9 and DX18 files. Eventually the page you see now named "DX9 & DX18..." will be something even more inclusive.

Andy
Hi Andy,

What would you suggest as a good starting point for programming the Nano Qx and the Apprentice S with SAFE?

I suppose I can use the Blade 350 (which is in the downloads I got from the Spektrum community site). But what about the Apprentice S, with it's 3 flights modes and SAFE?
Jun 25, 2014, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteboarderdc
But what about the Apprentice S, with it's 3 flights modes and SAFE?
The manual, page 23, chart at the top. See DX18 settings? Those work for DX6 and DX9 too. After programming the name it should take you at most 60 seconds to be ready to bind.

Andy

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFL3100-Manual_EN.pdf
Jun 25, 2014, 02:01 PM
Quote:
The manual, page 23, chart at the top. See DX18 settings? Those work for DX6 and DX9 too. After programming the name it should take you at most 60 seconds to be ready to bind.

Andy

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFL3100-Manual_EN.pdf
Hi Andy,

Just saw this. This morning at 7am I woke up, made coffee and thought... "Wait! The manual. I remember reading something about setting up other radios other than the included DX5e." Lol and behold I was drinking my coffee and reading that chart. I'll work on setting it up tonight to fly tomorrow. Thanks.
Jun 28, 2014, 06:14 AM
Maggie is in charge
Thanks Kiteboarder for starting this thread. I think it will help alot of us dx6 owners.

What I could use is a general switch layout, a common one that people use. I know with this radio you can move anything to anything for switches, but for someone like me it would help to have a starting point.

What are the usual switches for gear, flaps, dual rates (on one), lights, throttle cut etc...

Thank you.

Jason
Jun 28, 2014, 06:39 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
This is a nice idea but the problem is that with all the other threads about this radio and the other similar radios that use the same programming system it means valuable info gets buried quickly and or is repeated over and over in all the various threads.

The idea and intentions are great but the reality is that the forum members and their habits will quickly turn these great threads into something not so great.

If this is your first Spektrum radio (congrats) its a great radio, if its not then your past switch arrangement should or most likely is the most common setup people follow.

Sw. A - most often used for Gear
Sw. D - most often used for Flaps
Sw. H - most often used for Throttle Cut or Throttle Hold.

Just like the past Spektrum Tx.

D/R & Expo people often use one switch while others use separate switches for each control surface.

Sw. C - Elev. D/R
Sw. F - Ail. D/R
Sw. G - Rud. D/R

Many will combine all D/R functions to either Sw. G (rudder d/R) or often use Flight Mode switch which this is often Sw. B

If you want you can look at the DX8 switch arrangement to kinda see what is the general switch layout.
Jun 29, 2014, 07:10 AM
Maggie is in charge
Thank you Freechip! Just what I was looking for.
Jun 29, 2014, 02:32 PM
Freechip, that was great.

I just set up my UMX Radian with 3 flight modes. I actually set the flight modes to switch D instead of B. I just felt that that switch is unique, and big and within a glance. I thought it'd be great for something as important as flight modes, since I also set my rate and expos changes to the flight modes.

One thing I didn't like very much is that I wish flight modes and D/R & Expos could be separated a bit more. See, I wanted to have a soaring more for Flight Mode 1 with 100% rates and no expo. With the flick of switch F, I wanted to be able to toggle between high rates at 100% and low rates at 70%. However, in Flight mode 2, which I dubbed Soaring Expo mode, I wanted to have Expos at 30% (or whatever feels good after testing) but also the ability to have a 100% and 70% rate switch. Seems I can't do that though. Either that, or I haven't been able to figure it out.

So, what I ended up doing is separating the settings to 3 flight modes. Like this:

Soaring Mode (F mode 1): 100% rates, no expo
Cruise Mode (F mode 2): 100% rates, 30% expo
Low Rate Mode (F mode 3) 70% rates, no expo

See, what I couldn't figure out was how to have the ability to switch rates between 100% and 70% AND be able to turn off expo within the same flight mode. Regardless, I'll fly the above settings and see how they feel. The expo is not set in stone at 30%, might definitely be too much. But it's just a starting point.
Jun 29, 2014, 02:43 PM
Then, problem 2 is with the Apprentice S.

I can program the plane to have the control surfaces work just fine. However, I can't seem to be able to get the 3 SAFE modes (beginners, intermediate and expert) to work. Even though I'm assigel to the 3 position switch B, I seem to only get 2 modes to work, beginner and expert. There's no sign of intermediate mode.

(I tilt the plane by hand to check for the modes, but beginner and intermediate seem to work exactly alike. Maybe the modes are there, but I'm afraid to put the plane in the air to test and fight out I did something wrong). I mean, I was expecting intermediate mode to have a different aileron movement than what i'm seeing for beginner mode.

Also, I can't seem to be able to assign the panic button to switch I (bind button). One thing I haven't tried is reversing that channel (looks like the chart on page 23 of the Apprentice manual calls for reversing.)

I'll trying setting again and follow back up. Last night is what midnight and I got frustrated and went to bed instead.

One question for the Apprentice: The SAFE modes have nothing to do with the DX6's available Flight mode settings, right? One should be able to set the 3 SAFE modes to a switch while remaining on only 1 TX flight mode. Right?

Confusing stuff, I know. Dang.

This is a good transmitter... But hmmm, I would rate the intuitiveness to 50%. I can see Spektrum tech being able to make strides in intuitiveness. Spektrum should hire an experienced Apple engineer.

EDIT: Problems sorted. See this post for final outcome. Cause, user error from lack of experience programming computer radios: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=28
Last edited by kiteboarderdc; Jul 02, 2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Linked to post where problem sorted.
Jun 29, 2014, 03:11 PM
Do you understand the difference between those 2 modes? There is only one, as I understand it.

The amount of bank angle allowed changes from about 30 degrees to about 60 degrees.

Andy
Jun 29, 2014, 04:32 PM
Hi, I do, I've flown the plane many times with the DX5e. And just now, while comparing my DX5e with the new DX6 settings I "flew" it in my hand in my living room to see how all the control surfaces react in each mode - using both transmitters to note differences.

The main problem with the modes not working seemed to have been solved when I switched the wing type from normal to "dual aileron".

I thought that even though the plane has two servos for ailerons (one on each side) that it was still considered a normal wing because both are driven from the same port on the receiver with a Y-Cable, much like planes that have 1 servo in the middle to control both ailerons.

But the normal setting wasn't working, and the dual aileron seems to work. Would would've thought!

Now my only issue is the panic switch doesn't work. My last setting was with the switch reversed like it says on the book. I'm about to try it in normal and see.

I'll be back.

May I suggest models are popular at these be added as downloadable programs? I can see many Apprentice flyers buying the new DX6. It would be easier for us to reverse the settings and learn from them than trying to set them all from scratch.

I'll be baaaaack.

EDIT: Problems sorted. See this post for final outcome. Cause, user error from lack of experience programming computer radios: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=28
Last edited by kiteboarderdc; Jul 02, 2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Linked to post where problem was sorted.
Jun 29, 2014, 04:34 PM
Please go back to the Apprentice S manual and set up the radio correctly. You're fighting things that won't give in.

Andy
Jun 29, 2014, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Please go back to the Apprentice S manual and set up the radio correctly. You're fighting things that won't give in.

Andy
Lol. I'm going to start from scratch.

Quick Reply