This thread is privately moderated by RCvertt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 22, 2014, 03:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Edge of Tomorrow - (Tom Cruise) QuadCopter

Saw the film and really liked the QuadCopter that is in it so I thought it might make for a nice build. Flight controller will be a standard Wii sensor board with arduino Nano that I took out of an old build. Servos and motors are glued right into the foam.

Nice trailer with good reference in it..
Edge of Tomorrow - Official Trailer 1 [HD] (2 min 34 sec)
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 24, 2014 at 02:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2014, 01:13 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
That's really cool!

Plans and specs coming?
Jun 27, 2014, 03:10 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for checking it out.

Using 1300kv motors "blue wonders" to start with. Front wing is about 20 inches long. Still a work in progress so I'm not exactly sure what the other parts will be. 9 gram servos all around, even though they really weigh 13 grams. Going to try and spin some 8x4.5 three bladed props I got from HK. A little over propped so we'll see if it gets too warm.

If enough people are interested, I can draw up some plans once we get it sorted out and see if it'll actually fly for us.
Aug 02, 2014, 06:00 PM
If it flies.....I can crash it
Plans would be awesome..... watched the film today and I really wanna build a carrier.

Yours looks like a great starting point.
Aug 05, 2014, 01:21 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for checking it out. I'll have some more to share soon.

Hope they do a sequel. Have to admit I was a little biased with my opinion of the film since they had me at the first trailer that featured the quad transport planes.
Oct 15, 2014, 08:47 AM

Bell Boeing Quad TiltRotor

Bell Boeing Quad TiltRotor
The quadcopters in the film resemble the Bell Boeing Quad TiltRotor, a military aircraft designed in 2007. You might recognize them for another reason: drones like the upcoming Parrot Bebop and the Blade 350 also use four rotors to provide incredible mobility. The Department of Defense is still formulating a plan on how to use transport drones in military engagements, so for now they’re just theoretical. The filmmakers more closely replicated the Bell-Boeing Osprey for the movie for the engines and maneuverability.
Oct 23, 2014, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info. Similar but I like the vertical stabilizers on the Edge of tomorrow version. Should make it easier for an actual model to fly...I hope.
Oct 26, 2015, 05:15 PM
How did you get all of those motors to line up properly?

Also, what board did you use to control it?

Did you decide to put some plans together?

It is a really cool design.

Quick Reply