This thread is privately moderated by Toastermoore, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 21, 2014, 05:53 PM
Toaster, not Toast
Thread OP
Discussion

First Post and Walkera DEVO 7e with Deviation

I've been lurking here for a little while now and thought I'd try being more active on the forum. So hello, forumland.

I hope to post some of the planes I build and the modifications I do, if they work well. I know that I have found some great information here and sometimes failed to find what I am looking for.

Here are my aircraft:
Hobbyzone Champ
Parkzone Pole Cat
Parkzone Mini Vapor
StevensAero LiddleGee
Micro Stingray
Dumas walnut scale Tiger Moth
E-flite MSRx

All of these are flown with a Walkera DEVO 7e running Deviation. Perhaps I will start with my radio. This has to be the best deal in modern transmitters. It is a fully programmable computer radio with powerful mixing abilities for only about $60. It has perhaps a few flaws: one, you have to install the Deviation firmware, which isn't hard but makes some people nervous, two, the instructions for the firmware are a bit sparse, and three, it is crippled for range so as not to compete with their more expensive radios. This hasn't been a problem for me as my fleet is all micro and I like to fly close in so I can see what I'm doing. I'm aiming to help fix the second with this blog

Here are a few things which make this radio so cool:
  • Every plane gets a throttle kill switch
  • I have programmed a mix in for the Champ and LiddleGee to add some down elevator as the throttle is advanced. I can turn this off if I want but never do. It really makes flying these guys easier than holding down elevator in manually.
  • I had no problem programming it to control elevons with a champ brick.
  • I have it set up with flight timers for each plane, one which counts down for the battery and another which times total flight time with a given plane that day. Its a little trickier to set up but the countdown timer can be mixed with the throttle so that it goes faster with more throttle and slower with less, to more accurately reflect the state of the battery and the style of flying I'm in the mood for.

It is capable of some other cool things and as I use them, I will write about them. Also, check out my videos on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/toastermoore/
Latest blog entry: Evolution Woodie
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2014, 06:27 PM
1st to the scene of the crash
Welcome to the Forum, enjoy the hobby. Your right "every" plane needs a throttle cut on it, all mine have them also. (programmed thru my DX9). Lane
Latest blog entry: Building the sig astro-hog

Quick Reply