Naze32 GPS/OSD - Which is best? - Which is cheapest?- How to set up? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 21, 2014, 04:05 PM
Quad fun for everyone!
Question

Naze32 GPS/OSD - Which is best? - Which is cheapest?- How to set up?

delete
Last edited by RC2211; Jun 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2014, 10:42 PM
Quad fun for everyone!
Saw this GPS at a trusted vendor and read it is Naze compatible on another forum. How do you set it up? What do I need to wire? Thanks,

-RC2211

BTW I use Baseflight firmware.
Jun 24, 2014, 03:44 AM
I'm actually looking for the same setup! I was thinking of getting a minimOSD (KV modded), but I haven't decided on a GPS yet. I think almost any module will do, especially if it's compatible with MultiWii since that's what the Naze32 is based on.

I found a nice wiring diagram that kind of explains how you have to hook everything up. Both the OSD and the GPS need 5v/GND that can come from wherever (there's some dedicated pins for this on the FC, but you can use unused motor/servo output pins as well). The OSD needs to connect to the serial TX / RX pins, and the GPS uses RC input pins 3 and 4 as serial connectors.

However, this leads me to a question of my own: I have only seen this explained for CPPM, because PWM obviously uses more RC input pins, including 3 and 4. Therefore, is it only possible to connect a GPS to the Naze32 when using CPPM, or is there a workaround for this to combine GPS and PWM?
Jun 24, 2014, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLe
I'm actually looking for the same setup! I was thinking of getting a minimOSD (KV modded), but I haven't decided on a GPS yet. I think almost any module will do, especially if it's compatible with MultiWii since that's what the Naze32 is based on.

I found a nice wiring diagram that kind of explains how you have to hook everything up. Both the OSD and the GPS need 5v/GND that can come from wherever (there's some dedicated pins for this on the FC, but you can use unused motor/servo output pins as well). The OSD needs to connect to the serial TX / RX pins, and the GPS uses RC input pins 3 and 4 as serial connectors.

However, this leads me to a question of my own: I have only seen this explained for CPPM, because PWM obviously uses more RC input pins, including 3 and 4. Therefore, is it only possible to connect a GPS to the Naze32 when using CPPM, or is there a workaround for this to combine GPS and PWM?
This is right out of the Naze32 manual. You should really read it.

When GPS feature is enabled, channels 3 and 4 are are used for 3.3V GPS connection. (3:TX, 4:RX). with CPPM receiver, these are normally unused, with standard receiver, connect AIL to 1, ELE to 2, THR to 5, RUD to 6, and AUX1/2 to channels 7 and 8.
Jun 24, 2014, 11:14 AM
Quad fun for everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo
This is right out of the Naze32 manual. You should really read it.

When GPS feature is enabled, channels 3 and 4 are are used for 3.3V GPS connection. (3:TX, 4:RX). with CPPM receiver, these are normally unused, with standard receiver, connect AIL to 1, ELE to 2, THR to 5, RUD to 6, and AUX1/2 to channels 7 and 8.
Thanks for explaining. Nice to use a MinimOSD and GPS for a full flight experience.

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/minimosd.html

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/ubl...backplane.html
Jun 24, 2014, 11:16 AM
Quad fun for everyone!
I've found some more information on the CLI firmware configurator and that explained the rest. Thanks again guys!
Jun 26, 2014, 02:43 AM
When you order the gps module from witespyquad which firmware & cable do you choose from the options on their page?
Oct 08, 2014, 04:29 PM
Still the ublox 6m better for naze32?
Oct 08, 2014, 06:29 PM
Quad fun for everyone!
I think so. Lots of people using it with good success.
Oct 11, 2014, 04:35 AM
Naze 32 with GPS , in this case does it had a RTH function ?
Oct 11, 2014, 11:42 AM
Quad fun for everyone!
Yes a Naze32 with GPS setup correctly has RTH.
Oct 11, 2014, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC2211
Yes a Naze32 with GPS setup correctly has RTH.
From what I have read, it is not reliable.

Did you set it up ?

How do you like it ?

Robert
Oct 11, 2014, 11:53 PM
Quad fun for everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batch1
From what I have read, it is not reliable.

Did you set it up ?

How do you like it ?

Robert
I have not used it. As I said, it is possible, but for the reasons that other have posted about its reliability I do not use it. I read the best Naze32 GPS firmware is Harakiri GPS code that is being implemented into cleanflight.
Oct 14, 2014, 12:44 AM
So I have that Gps and full naze 32 but when i connect it as shown i never get gps green light in base flight or data on gps tab I do get green light on the gps module itself.
Oct 14, 2014, 05:41 AM
Go to the Naze set up for dummies thread. Plenty of info there.

You must turn on GPS through the CLI - Feature GPS and must have Tx &Rx to the correct pins.