This thread is privately moderated by Svede, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 20, 2014, 12:13 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

FPV Seaplane 'Sea Bull'

Very similar in construction to all my other builds in the last year or two, nothing new there. Wings and horizontal tail are/will be removable for transport. Wingspan will be 82" approx. once the wingtip floats are attached and carved. Planning on about 7lb. AUW with one 5000mah 5s for power, room for much more depending on whether or not I have enough floatation

The nose is designed to be modular. There is a DYS 3 axis gimbal making its way to me after I found a very promising/excellent video posted by another user here flying a 3 axis gimbal on a Skywalker. However, I have seen mostly poor videos so there will be an option to quickly swap in a hard mounted GoPro or a pan unit with head tracking. That proved to be the demise of Nessie, hacking into the nose one to many times until I was able to come up with a solid head tracking unit.

I have an ET Vector unit on hand, fortunately it will be a while before install so I'll be able to follow along with other users and see if any deal breaking bugs are found.
Last edited by Svede; Jul 05, 2014 at 01:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2014, 11:02 PM
Thats a cool plane did you design it?
Jun 21, 2014, 01:00 PM
Thread OP
Yes it is my own design. I was debating between this configuration and the relatively new Privateer amphibian layout. This layout was chosen for ease of building as a Privateer layout, though ideal, would be much more complex in wiring, less transportable and without complex jigs much easier to introduce error in building.
Jun 21, 2014, 11:30 PM
Are you still flying the Nessie? do you have any flight fotage it cool to see it fly
Jun 22, 2014, 04:52 AM
Thread OP
I do have some but I never edited it, the gimbal that is pictured on it was not stout enough for the aerodynamic forces encountered. It flew very well and I was pleased with it though other than the gimbal. In fact all the experiments were a failure and the nose got cut into so many times that I ran out of foam to work with and scrapped the plane. I learned what doesn't work though and now have a working model. Not flying it though as I haven't had time to set up the Vector for it, sidetracked by this model.
Jun 22, 2014, 06:33 AM
I think a low drag is key for a gimbal on a fixed wing. Well sounds like you have lots of interesting things going on with the sea plane build. keep us posted.
Jun 27, 2014, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
A little progress, floats carved and surfaces prepped to cover.
Jul 04, 2014, 10:34 PM
Thread OP

Float test

Weighted with batteries to 8lbs, this should be a bit heavier than AUW. Very buoyant, there will be no problem adding more battery if desired.
Jul 06, 2014, 11:08 PM
Thread OP
Cosmetic progress today...
Jul 22, 2014, 09:33 AM
Aerospace enthusiast
Nice design, well done, congratulations.

Have you a video of it flying?

Could you share your project? I'm intended to build my first seaplane.

Thanks!
Jul 22, 2014, 03:27 PM
Thread OP
Thanks. No video yet, but hoping to get video this weekend when the water maiden happens. I'm happy to share the project details if you'd like.
Oct 13, 2014, 04:36 AM
Love this Sea Bull design, could you show us how you diy the video mount?

Thanks you so much.
Oct 18, 2014, 09:20 PM
Thread OP
Here ya go.
Nov 07, 2014, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svede
Here ya go.
Thanks Svede.
Mar 29, 2015, 06:49 AM
Deranged long range
What happened to this plane? Still flying?

Quick Reply