Jul 14, 2014, 12:39 PM
Doug, $88.00 Go Pro clone.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...roof_case.html
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks, Jim!
Jul 24, 2014, 06:04 PM

Fire Arrow Foiler/MPX Foil System

Got her in the air this morning. I'll post the youtube video when I get it shortened.
The boat was simply spectacular today. The wind was 3-5mph max but was 4-6 at my house from the south when we left. By the time we got to the Port it had switched to the SW and died to 3-5. But the waves left over from the 20 mile fetch south were still "bending around" thru the bridge. I would have preferred flat calm -no waves-just wind. But as it turned out-well, it could not have turned out better. First thing we noticed was that the lee ama popped up-it was then we knew this was going to be a great day. Shortly after the ama popped up the whole boat did and we got a couple of stretches of extremely stable, fast foiling. Perfect pitch stability, perfect ama foil altitude control-man, she couldn't have done any better. And all this in a 5MPH breeze! I couldn't be happier and more satisfied that the step by step analysis I did after the first three videos was right on target.
Enjoy:
Jul 24, 2014, 09:47 PM

First Fire Arrow Foiling Video

Here is a shortened version of the video we took today:
MPX Fire Arrow First Full Flying Foiling on video 7 24 14 006 (1 min 52 sec)
Jul 24, 2014, 10:57 PM
Ya wimped out on the tacks and used gybe instead!
Jul 25, 2014, 01:20 AM
wolfgang
On the 7:47 min version I saw four tacks (low speed tacks with nearly no momentum in the boat, not easy to do)

With some more stick time we will watch him foiling thru the tacks!
Jul 25, 2014, 07:36 AM

Part of the tacking problem was the waves left over from 14 hours of wind from the south over a twenty mile fetch. The waves were still there when the wind died and they "bent around" the bridge(about 400' to the left side of the picture).
But the biggest problem was that I used the radio programming to "dumb down" the response of the rudder which had previously caused "pitch-ups". I couldn't mess with it while we were sailing yesterday but if you look at the previous videos shes always tacked well so I'm fairly sure its just a matter of getting the Dual Rate/Expo right.
The real wild success yesterday (besides the whole boat foiling!) was the ama foils.
They are my own design ,inspired by TNZ, but with a significant difference. They now have a molded in fixed flap that allows high lift but when the tip breaches the surface the high lift area is reduced. The bottom line is that the foil acts like a wand based T-foil and does it with no moving parts!
Jul 25, 2014, 12:37 PM
Up, up and away!
Jul 26, 2014, 08:19 AM
Doug, very nice, looking forward to see this one develop
Jul 26, 2014, 09:56 AM
Thanks! Are you still building rc multies? Good to hear from you....
Jul 26, 2014, 10:01 AM

This is the long version-if unbridled enthusiasm bugs you -music added last year:
Fire Arrow First Full Flying Foiling--Long Version (7 min 48 sec)
Last edited by DLord; Apr 28, 2016 at 03:39 PM.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
Thanks! Are you still building rc multies? Good to hear from you....
Been kicking around some ideas. I have a 2yo now that impacts my building time.
Jul 26, 2014, 01:58 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
But the biggest problem was that I used the radio programming to "dumb down" the response of the rudder which had previously caused "pitch-ups". I couldn't mess with it while we were sailing yesterday but if you look at the previous videos shes always tacked well so I'm fairly sure its just a matter of getting the Dual Rate/Expo right.
Hey Doug,
Most transmitters allow you to turn the dual-rate/expo feature on or off with the flip of a toggle switch.
I use the FlySky FS-T6 transmitter which has a "sport" mode.
When switched to sport mode, I have 70% of full rudder, along with full exponential travel rate. When I want to tack in light winds, I just flip the switch to normal to get full travel and rate on the rudder, and then back to sport mode.
You should be able to do this with your Spectrum? transmitter as well.
Jul 26, 2014, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I can do that. The way I had it set was 40% expo with the dual rate off and
30% dual rate + 40% expo with the switch on. I didn't set up a way to turn it all off because I figured I wouldn't have to-bad assumption. With the "touch sensor" the radio is a real pain to program-I wouldn't attempt it at the sailing site. The Futaba radio I used 29 years ago to fly video piloted helicopters was much easier to program than this thing is. I have the "Futaba T8FG Super"........
But I'll fix it. Thanks for the suggestions!
Jul 26, 2014, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun
Been kicking around some ideas. I have a 2yo now that impacts my building time.
=====
Congratulations!!!