Oct 16, 2017, 10:16 PM
Have you been watching the Melvin/Morelli build?

Might want to check their site for their lastest....which sounds like a whole new class.

I'd call it a triman, but.............
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2017, 10:26 PM
My fault.... It's Melvin and Morrelli (spelling) and search for SUPERFOILER as their class.
Oct 17, 2017, 07:07 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
The render shows a high aspect lifting foil on the daggerboard. Best I can tell no pictures of the main foil. Ama UptiP foils and rudder T-foils. There are now four trimarans worldwide using a lifting foil on the daggerboard: Maserati, Gitana 17, Banque Populaire and the first trimaran to use such a foil--Fire Arrow! The Fire Arrow Test Model pioneered the use of a daggerboard lifting foil, ama UptiP foils in combo with a rudder T-foil and now the major designers are finding the configuration to be worth investing millions of dollars to develop. Won't be long before we see under 20' single and /or doublehanders! And more RC tri's using the concept.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/vo...leac-h-5314860

Jean-Baptiste Epron/Banque Populaire render:

----------------------------
From Dolfiman on boatdesign.net:

Translation of the comments of the project director Renaud Camus :
Rudders :
"This type of rudder is innovative on that type of boat weighting 14 tons. At high speeds, there is so much effort in the rudders. Before, it was not necessary to lift them. Now to protect the windward one from a wave or a strong swell at high speed, we have obligation to raise it. The T is important because to fly, the boat needs several points of support : foils, the central daggerboard and the rudders. The foils are like the wings on an airplane, and the rudders the tail. This type of T rudder already existed on Macif, Sodebo and Spindrift, but Gitana and Banque Populaire IX were the first boats designed with this type of rudder from the start."
Foils :
"These are the main devices of the flight, shaped like an" L ", and directly inspired by what was observed during the America's Cup. Foils are orientable in three dimensions. The objective is to have a polyvalent foil, it is quite vertical which allows to take off early enough, but, under certain conditions it can also be positioned in V, it is more stable and wiser."
Central daggerboard :
"The idea is to gain stability in flight, to facilitate the take-off of the central hull and to get it out of the water, and it is also equipped with a small mobile flap"
> some versions of the daggerboard main foil use a flap to adjust the lift from the foil AND to allow downforce which increases righting moment. This works automatically on the Fire Arrow Test Model(dl).
Amas :
"Like for the central hull, they have fine waterlines. We tried to make weight less. They are flatter than for our previous multihulls, but are not completely flat either to avoid sudden slam in rough seas. They are also designed to have less aerodynamic drag. We have taken care of the aerodynamics at the front and at the rear of the akas. This is important because the boats are going faster and faster, so they are generating more and more apparent wind speed. "
Cockpit cap :
We also designed an harmonious cap designed from aerodynamic tests in a sailmaker. The 3 DI fabric sheets have also replaced the nets. "
Oct 17, 2017, 07:12 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
My fault.... It's Melvin and Morrelli (spelling) and search for SUPERFOILER as their class.
==========================
Dick, there are actually two new Morrelli and Melvin foiling trimarans-the SuperFoiler with UptiP main foils and the TF10 with "Z" main foils.
More here incl video: https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/n...s.55834/page-8
Nov 02, 2017, 12:30 AM
Interesting video that I though you might like! Some of those hull designs would sure take nicely to a set of sails....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Osa2bWVzBk8
Nov 02, 2017, 03:14 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

vid

BDL, thanks! Most interesting-don't know how I missed it. Fascinating stuff....
Nov 03, 2017, 07:17 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Gitana 17 and Fire Arrow

Spectacular pictures of Gitana 17 followed by Fire Arrow:

Last edited by DLord; Nov 04, 2017 at 12:33 PM.
Nov 04, 2017, 01:05 PM
Will fly for food
When was the last time Fire Arrow was sailed?
Nov 04, 2017, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Fire Arrow

July 24, 2014---the day the foil system finally worked perfectly after a month and a half of testing and 4 years designing and building.

Last edited by DLord; Nov 04, 2017 at 05:06 PM.
Nov 04, 2017, 11:10 PM
Will fly for food
Three and a half years without any further development? I’ll bet the boat has a lot more capability if you spend the time.
Nov 05, 2017, 12:16 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Fire Arrow Foil System / WOLF

There has been gigantic further development of the Fire Arrow Foil System pioneered by Fire Arrow with Maserati, Gitana 17 and soon Banque Populaire. These boats all use the basic Fire Arrow foil configuration.
And I've built a small concept model of a 15.5' version of the Fire Arrow called WOLF to use to help raise money to build the full size version. Not quite finished but fairly close. 2nd priority to the D2 and strictly to illustrate the fullsize boat.
If the problems slowing me down go away the next project is WOLF fullsize:

WOLF seating mock up:

WOLF partially assembeled + mast and boom:

Look close for cockpit drains:

Last edited by DLord; Nov 05, 2017 at 12:28 PM.
Nov 05, 2017, 01:47 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Transat Jacques Vabre

This is the longest race this foil system( which is similar to the Fire Arrow Foil System) has ever been in! At this point Gitana 17 is leading by about 6nm and appears to be faster than Sodebo but there is a long way to go.

Follow the race here: https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/u...3/#post-817321

or here-tracker: https://www.transatjacquesvabre.org/en/map-and-ranking

Go Gitana!!!
Nov 08, 2017, 12:27 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Banque Populaire

This is another full size tri just launched using a foil system almost identical to the one pioneered by the Test Model Fire Arrow:

Nov 10, 2017, 06:26 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Gitana 17 and Fire Arrow

This is the first big tri designed and built from scratch to use a foil system nearly identical to the system on Fire Arrow. And the following video is the best Team Gitana has done yet-it is 100% sailing/flying and is simply beautiful. It shows how well the Foil System works in waves:

Le Maxi-Trimaran Gitana 17 vole - Le Havre Bretagne Tele (3 min 31 sec)
Last edited by DLord; Feb 13, 2018 at 01:07 PM.
Nov 10, 2017, 06:56 PM
Will fly for food
The foil cross sections must be quite different.

Quick Reply