Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 19, 2014, 06:46 PM
Discussion

Foamy Pusher Gyro

Hi all...
After much reading, building, crashing, repeat I have finally come up with a success I would like to share. it is a pusher autogyro made mostly from Dollar Tree Foam. The rotor is made from Depron with carbon rod leading edges. The DC head is made from popsicle sticks, a bit of wire, plastic tubing, and Tyvek. The motor is the Blue Wonder turning an 8 inch prop, powered by an 800 mAh Li-Po battery.

Credits go to the late Jochen K for his "Minimum", SR-71fan for his rotor design, and Leadfeather for his idea of rotor tip weights made of 1/16" music wire.

Here are a couple of pictures and a flight video.

Foamy Pusher Gyro (1 min 15 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2014, 07:45 PM
Very nice.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Jun 20, 2014, 11:45 AM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Awesome!

Jun 21, 2014, 06:25 PM

Dialing it In

The first successful flight had the battery near the nose so the rotor shaft was vertical when suspended from the top and the fuselage was nose down 15 degrees.

We were at first happy with this CG setting because it was a real success compared to all the crashes and mishaps during development. But now, it was time to dial in the best performance.

We began moving the battery rearward a quarter inch at a time, flying, and noting the changes to the performance. Performance began increasing and we just kept going, each flight with the battery moved back just a quarter inch.

When done, we were rewarded with excellent handling and climb performance with cruise now at half throttle instead of 75% to max. The aircraft is now light on the sticks, very responsive, yet very stable. Woo Hoo! Looking back, we moved the front of the battery pack a whopping 6-1/2 inches rearward from its starting position to attain this performance-unbelievable!

We conducted our tests at an elevation of 1850 ft above sea level, at an air temperature of 102 Degrees F. Consequently, we had some motor heating problems that reduced the available power somewhat, but we cooled the motor between flights. We believe that in cooler conditions, performance will be even better.

All in all we are very happy with this design, and have set out to build a few more. The materials are very inexpensive, and this design builds with CA and hot glue and takes only about 2 hours to construct.

So, now please enjoy videos of the model with much improved performance:
Half Throttle (1 min 40 sec)

Very Pretty (1 min 14 sec)

Russ
Jun 21, 2014, 10:40 PM
Great to see it flying so well!

You must be a happy camper!

Congrats!

Gary
Jun 22, 2014, 03:18 AM
great job!!
keep up the great work!,maybe a build video?
Jun 22, 2014, 03:40 AM
Fantastic looks and flies great

Steve
Jun 22, 2014, 07:14 AM
Winging it >
Very nice Russ!
Jun 22, 2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks Gary,
We (my son Kyle and I ) both have BIG smiles on our faces. It feels like we earned our wings...um rotors.

Instead of trying to analyze crashes with short stick times every time we went to the field, we now are just having loads of fun instead. You are right...we are happy campers.

Now to add some cool color schemes to craft we know are fun to fly instead of minimizing the effort when building because we expect to crash and repair. You helped quite a bit with your J-AG3 which inspired us to try autogyros, and to learn more about how they fly. Thanks again.
Russ
Jun 22, 2014, 08:45 AM
Lead,
Could not have gotten here without your ideas and inspiration. Thanks.
Russ
Jun 22, 2014, 08:49 AM
1959 cutter,
Thanks, I don't think it would be too difficult to put something together in the way of plans or build log. We could only be smiling here if others had done the same for us with their designs and ideas. Let me see what I can do...............
Russ
Jun 23, 2014, 01:52 PM

Dancing in the winds

We wanted to see how this gyro handles windy conditions. The answer is that it just adds to the fun. Hover anyone?

Dancing in the winds (1 min 29 sec)

Dancing in the winds2 (1 min 41 sec)
Jun 23, 2014, 02:36 PM
Wow!

Too cool!

Dec 23, 2014, 10:07 AM
Russ are there any plans available yet?
Looks awesome & I really want to make the guys here
in South Africa very jealous
Dec 25, 2014, 10:27 AM

Plans

Jeanr'e,

I've attached the plan, which consists of 10 hand-drawn pages. Our idea was for my son Kyle to build from these plans, making sure they were clear enough so others could succeed before releasing them. Well, Kyle never found time to build, so the plan was filed away.

I hope you will be able to build one of these little autogyros, and make those guys jealous!

Cheers!
Russ