Jun 18, 2014, 07:09 PM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
Build Log

Avro Lancaster 81" span from Wowplanes

Hello Fellow Scale Builders and Pilots,

I know you have been waiting for me to start a build thread on this one following the poll thread we did at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2167728

There is a historical write up at Wikipedia for those who maybe interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lancaster

This is a challenging design, especially the fuselage. I have been developing some new ideas and trying things out in CAD. I have done three trial cuts and looks like I finally have it together.

I like to do the fuselage and the engine nacelles first. This is where the plastic parts are. I can shape the plugs and send them off to Sparky while I can start the main build. So that's where I am now. I will start posting pics as soon as there is anything to talk about.

Stay tuned.
Fahim
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2014, 07:34 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Subscribed.

Mike
Jun 18, 2014, 08:10 PM
Signed on...like to watch a craftsman work
Jun 18, 2014, 09:13 PM
Oh no, not again!

Jeff
Jun 19, 2014, 02:19 AM
Tuned in

raipe
Jun 19, 2014, 06:11 PM
Can't wait!!
Jun 19, 2014, 07:03 PM
I am in as well. planes from across the pond are different and neat to study. i hear that some big parts are interchangeable from the Lancaster to the York. i.e. wing and nacelle's. don
Jun 19, 2014, 07:27 PM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
Here are some thoughts I have been mulling. I like my designs to be flexible so each builder can do his/her own thing.

1. I am designing the wing such that it can be built as 1 piece, or in 3 pieces. I have a big van so transport of a 81" span wing is no problem for me. Makes the construction simpler and saves a little bit of weight. Will be held in place with two dowels and one or two bolts and blind nuts. For those who want a 3 piece wing, the outboard panels can be made removable with a tongue and groove method. The mid wing can be glued permanently in place, or can also be removable as a third piece.

2. I am designing the tail assembly to be removable as well using two dowels and a single bolt and blind nut. I like this especially on planes with twin vertical stabs. The trick is to make the elevator, rudder, and tail wheel mechanisms self contained within the removable tail section. You have the option, of gluing the whole assembly permanently in place if you prefer that.

3. I have been playing with different power setups and I am leaning towards two inboard motors and two dummy outboard props. This will save the weight and cost of two motors, two ESCs, cabling, and require half the battery. You will have the option of course to go with 4 working motors.

Fahim
Jun 19, 2014, 08:04 PM
I like the 1/3 piece wing idea and the removable tail (small car).
Jun 19, 2014, 09:21 PM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoplanes
I like the 1/3 piece wing idea and the removable tail (small car).

Great! I see you are in Guelph. I lived there in the 70's. Nice town. Still have some friends there.
Fahim
Jun 20, 2014, 12:19 AM
ɹǝʎןℲ ǝıssn∀
Woohoo, here we gooooooooooooo........
Just in time too, just received my "Owners Manual"

LURCH
Latest blog entry: Compulsory Reading!!
Jun 20, 2014, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother
Here are some thoughts I have been mulling. I like my designs to be flexible so each builder can do his/her own thing.

1 & 2 sound great. Transport options are important for me.

3 I'm aiming for 4 motors. Just can't bring myself to have dummy props.

Keep the good news comin!

D.
Jun 20, 2014, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother
Great! I see you are in Guelph. I lived there in the 70's. Nice town. Still have some friends there.
Fahim
Hey cool!
Jun 20, 2014, 10:57 PM
...and another former Guelphite here. 1974-1984. Flew with the Gremlins. Lancaster sounds great!
Jun 21, 2014, 06:00 AM
CH Spring
Galt.

Quick Reply