Thread Tools
Jun 18, 2014, 07:02 AM
1 can never have 2 many planes
chambo88's Avatar
Thread OP
Build Log

epp speed machine "blade"


was feeling a bit creative this evening and seeing as how my epp finally arrived i was inspired to get stuck into coming up with a design.

been looking for speed in my foamies lately and i think this one might be a winner.

planned specs;
wingspan - 500-700mm
weight- 300-500g
motor 2500kv sk3 outrunner
prop - 6x5 tgs sport
battery - 2200mah 3s 25-50c
servo/s - x2 9g turnigy
esc- 40amp turnigy plush

plannin on using this model as a prototype for my thrust vectoring system for the su37 im plannin on starting in the near future.

lets see what happens.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2014, 07:27 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
gpw's Avatar
One point Chambo, with EPP , you might encounter “aeroelastic divergence” at high speeds ... it is a Beauty design though...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jun 18, 2014, 09:41 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
eflightray's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
One point Chambo, with EPP , you might encounter “aeroelastic divergence” at high speeds ... it is a Beauty design though...
Ouch!, is that where the elastic snaps and something falls down
Jun 18, 2014, 11:14 AM
Zen in the art of foam
djacob7's Avatar
Looks nice. Stiffening with newspaper would help for high speeds.
Jun 18, 2014, 10:01 PM
1 can never have 2 many planes
chambo88's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
One point Chambo, with EPP , you might encounter “aeroelastic divergence” at high speeds ... it is a Beauty design though...
woah hang on.. when i say high speed im talkin around 100-150kph.. but thanks for the reply!
Jun 18, 2014, 10:01 PM
1 can never have 2 many planes
chambo88's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacob7
Looks nice. Stiffening with newspaper would help for high speeds.
how does one stiffen with newspaper?
Jun 18, 2014, 11:40 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Granted's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo88
how does one stiffen with newspaper?
Find a lingerie ad.
Jun 19, 2014, 03:02 AM
1 can never have 2 many planes
chambo88's Avatar
Thread OP
hahaha ok well there is one answer.. "thank you for the laugh" anyone else care to add a response?
Jun 19, 2014, 03:13 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Granted's Avatar
You use it with thinned out wood glue and use it as a covering material. Personally, I'd use document laminating film and a covering iron. Much less mess.
Jun 19, 2014, 03:53 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Piece's Avatar
Do you want a model that looks fast, or one that actually flies fast?

I catch myself saying this more than I probably should, and I really don't mean to come off as snobbish or anything, but I scratch my head when I see planes "designed for speed" that are just really poorly suited for it. I don't mean to say you've designed a bad model, but there's kind of a disconnect here between the mission statement and the proposed airframe.

If you decide you want a fast car, you most likely don't need a Formula 1 racer... but at the same time, you're probably not in the market for a Chevy Suburban, which is pretty much what you're looking at
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Jun 19, 2014, 04:18 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Granted's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo88
woah hang on.. when i say high speed im talkin around 100-150kph.. but thanks for the reply!
That's more Suburban than F1 speeds if you ask me.
Jun 19, 2014, 07:24 AM
1 can never have 2 many planes
chambo88's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
Do you want a model that looks fast, or one that actually flies fast?

I catch myself saying this more than I probably should, and I really don't mean to come off as snobbish or anything, but I scratch my head when I see planes "designed for speed" that are just really poorly suited for it. I don't mean to say you've designed a bad model, but there's kind of a disconnect here between the mission statement and the proposed airframe.

If you decide you want a fast car, you most likely don't need a Formula 1 racer... but at the same time, you're probably not in the market for a Chevy Suburban, which is pretty much what you're looking at
thanks for the input but yeah park flier "high speeds"... epp is only good for about 140kph and then you get mad control surface flutter.. i like the idea of a news paper covered body.. is it paintable? as in water based paints with an airbrush? and does it add much weight???
Jun 28, 2014, 02:11 PM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Commander Clumsy's Avatar
Suscribed for hilarity.
Please don't hold back because of these old people speaking about 1930 technologies.
Jun 28, 2014, 04:08 PM
Zen in the art of foam
djacob7's Avatar
Hey! I was born in 1938 so please don't call me old!
Here's a wing I just covered with newspaper this morning for a Pushy Cat, quite a fast plane.
Jun 29, 2014, 12:43 AM
1 can never have 2 many planes
chambo88's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy
Suscribed for hilarity.
Please don't hold back because of these old people speaking about 1930 technologies.
hey cmdr clumsy.. lol yeah it should be a bit of fun. well you know me. ill be pushing the epp to the breaking point no matter what. hehe


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools