Jun 17, 2014, 08:10 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

RCTimer HP1806 2300KV Thrust Tests

My other thrust tests:
User sonic_boom was kind enough to send me one of these to put on the static thrust jig and see how it performed. There was also a new prop selection for this test, which was a RCTimer Carbon Fiber 5030. After receiving the RCTimer HP1806 2300KV motor, I posted a brief comparison:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang7302
My initial impression is that they're DYS BE1806 clones. They come with the same paper box packaging, the same hardware baggie with prop mount options, the base of the motor is the same, the same length of wire, the same pliable wire, exposed stator shaft through the top, and the same alignment of logos/markings. The only thing different is the bell's spoke pattern, single color black anodizing scheme, and thinner gauge windings around the stator.
To recap how the test data is collected; I use the telemetry on my FrSKY Taranis bound to a X6R receiver which has a 40A FrSKY smart port current sensor on it. The Taranis data logs the information into a CSV file, which I then extra and make a little more user friendly. The static thrust is measured by a scratch built jig and the wife's kitchen scale set to grams, as seen in the MT1806 results thread, and I watch the readout and record the results.

Quick run down of the results - RCTimer HP1806 2300KV Brushless Motors:
GF 5030 Prop on 3S - 405 Grams pulling 9.0A @ 100% / 205 Grams pulling 3.6A @ 50%
HQ 5030 Prop on 3S - 360 Grams pulling 7.6A @ 100% / 190 Grams pulling 3.5A @ 50%
HQ 5030 Prop on 4S - 550 Grams pulling 11.5A @ 100% / 245 Grams pulling 4.8A @ 50%
RCT 5030 CF Prop on 3S - 420 Grams pulling 11.1A @ 100% / 205 Grams pulling 4.1A @ 50%
HQ 5040 CF Prop on 3S - 440 Grams pulling 10.8A @ 100% / 215 Grams pulling 4.1A @ 50%
HQ 6030 CF Prop on 3S - 460 Grams pulling 10.5A @ 100% / 220 Grams pulling 3.8A @ 50%
HQ 6045 CF Prop on 3S -555 Grams pulling 17.0A @ 100% / 215 Grams pulling 4.7A @ 50%

Over all it is a solid motor. The motor did not like the instant heat soak from the HQ 6045 and platued pretty quickly in RPM; this is not a suggest prop to fly with. Additionally the 4S test technically went OK, but it was a bit warmer than it's DYS twin; I am less inclined to trust this motor on a 4S setup in the air. Every other prop it performs on par, enough, with its twin.
Last edited by Mustang7302; Jul 10, 2014 at 03:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2014, 09:45 PM
Firmware Fiend
Good stuff, Mustang. I'm pumped to see such good numbers. Mine should arrive any day, and I have some FC 5045s and GF 6030s to test, among others. I'm glad you also did a 4S test; I'm pretty sure these motors will be able to hang with the extra voltage on the HQ 5030s. Very encouraging--should make my already quick IQ250 into a screamer. Thanks for testing.
Jun 17, 2014, 09:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quasar
Good stuff, Mustang. I'm pumped to see such good numbers. Mine should arrive any day, and I have some FC 5045s and GF 6030s to test, among others. I'm glad you also did a 4S test; I'm pretty sure these motors will be able to hang with the extra voltage on the HQ 5030s. Very encouraging--should make my already quick IQ250 into a screamer. Thanks for testing.
The last paragraph mentions how *I* would not trust these in the air on 4S due to heat. Run up to a 6030 on 3S and these are purring along happily.
Jun 18, 2014, 12:47 AM
I've tried them on my blackout and they SUCK.
I mean, they feel like they've got more power than the RCX but the bearings were broken after 5 minutes of flying, everything was balanced. There's a gap between the shaft and the bearing.
So I hope I had a bad batch, but 4 on 4 motors I received are dead already.
I'd suggest people stay away from these. I've bought DYS ones (they're 8$ on LXRC) so I'll compare the quality.
Jun 18, 2014, 01:14 AM
Firmware Fiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang7302
The last paragraph mentions how *I* would not trust these in the air on 4S due to heat. Run up to a 6030 on 3S and these are purring along happily.
Yeah, I got that, that's why I specified the HQ 5030s for 4S use. I believe when this setup is taken into the air, it'll have adequate cooling--something that's hard to reproduce on a static test rig.
Jun 18, 2014, 01:18 AM
Principal Member
Thank you for the data. Looks like another solid choice for the minis.
Jun 18, 2014, 02:33 AM
Guys mentioning bearing issues with these, did you oil them?

The bearings seem to come dry with no lube. Mine drank up a heap.
Jun 18, 2014, 02:37 AM
Firmware Fiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_mouse
Guys mentioning bearing issues with these, did you oil them?

The bearings seem to come dry with no lube. Mine drank up a heap.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Jun 18, 2014, 06:46 AM
Didn't have any proper bearing oil (the one sold in very tiny packages), but WD40 has always worked fine for me and I'm always using it after opening the motor package.
BTW, the bearings were already bad when I received the order. I recorded the package opening,and 2 out of 4 motors had tiny "clicking" noises coming out of it.
RCTimer doesn't want to replace nor help me with this.
I'm kind of done with them...
Jun 18, 2014, 09:01 AM
Forward ever, backward never!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enqz
I've bought DYS ones (they're 8$ on LXRC) so I'll compare the quality.
I was going to ask for a link, but found it myself. LXRC is also known as Fei Xiang RC Model Wholesale. No prices listed. I assume you have to register for an account to get pricing info and be able to order.

Interestingly, they list a 1400kv version of the DE1806, which they rate as 2S-4S. On the other hand, the 2300kv version is rated as 2-3S only. Makes a lot of sense to recommend the lower-KV version for 4S, and limit the fast-revving 2300kv version to 3S.
Jun 18, 2014, 09:07 AM
They're both $8.33
And yes, you have to make an account, within 2 days you'll be labeled as "wholesaler" eventhough you're allowed to buy wathever you want.
Some prices are very attractive, shipping is fast, no complaints so far, way better than RCT
Jun 18, 2014, 09:24 AM
@enqz, I was gonna order the RCTimer 1806. Luckily, I see your post regarding the bearing issue. I think I'll order something else just to be safe. BTW, I never oil any of my brushless motors. Is it a recommended procedure for new motors?
Jun 18, 2014, 09:34 AM
@petsmith I always do it, but I suppose it's not always necessary.
I'm seriously considering buying T-motors from now on, yes they're $40 piece but the quality is unbeatable. Sunnysky's are a good option, but they're out of stock everywhere ! And they don't look as slick as T-motors.
But this is not the point of this thread, soz Mustang.
Jun 18, 2014, 10:09 AM
Firmware Fiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by enqz
Didn't have any proper bearing oil (the one sold in very tiny packages), but WD40 has always worked fine for me and I'm always using it after opening the motor package.
BTW, the bearings were already bad when I received the order. I recorded the package opening,and 2 out of 4 motors had tiny "clicking" noises coming out of it.
RCTimer doesn't want to replace nor help me with this.
I'm kind of done with them...
WD-40 is not a legitimate lubricant, so I'm not surprised that the motors seized up on you. WD-40 stands for "water displacement," and that's about all it's good for; I would never use it as a lubricant for any kind of bearings, especially on bearings designed to operate at tens of thousands of RPMS. I feel for you if the motors came to you in a defective state, but it's exceedingly rare to have 4 motors die on you within 5 minutes of operation without at least some user error involved. It's also a bit misleading to people when you then post a subjectively critical review of the product which possibly failed as a result of something that you did or did not do, namely oil the product properly before use.
Jun 18, 2014, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quasar
WD-40 is not a legitimate lubricant, so I'm not surprised that the motors seized up on you. WD-40 stands for "water displacement," and that's about all it's good for; I would never use it as a lubricant for any kind of bearings, especially on bearings designed to operate at tens of thousands of RPMS. I feel for you if the motors came to you in a defective state, but it's exceedingly rare to have 4 motors die on you within 5 minutes of operation without at least some user error involved. It's also a bit misleading to people when you then post a subjectively critical review of the product which possibly failed as a result of something that you did or did not do, namely oil the product properly before use.
WD40 first use is indeed water displacement, but it's also a lubricant. Maybe not the best, but I've used it all the time, sometimes with a drop of 3in1, and it's never failed me.
Yes this is my point of view, nobody is forced to read it, nor consider it. And like stated, It might just have been a bad batch (only 3 out of 4 are in bad shape).
Just saying...

Quick Reply