Handling your electric airplane SAFELY - Page 5 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Xpress.., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 09, 2015, 08:41 AM
FlightLine Ready
Hey guys I'm brand new to RC. I mean really new. and so I try to follow up on what I can understand. So I purchased a practice quad HeliMax 1sq vcam. It's really a nice little bird, and I'm learning to fly it with the white lights facing me. I already have the normal direction down pretty good but I get turned around Literally when I make a U turn. What I wanted to find out from someone more knowledgable is:

1 does anyone have an opinion on the Futaba 10jh and

2 will it fly a quad like the helimax 1sq? Tx, slt - FHSS?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2015, 02:33 PM
Heli's rule!
no opinion on the futaba other than keep in mind you will be locked out of bind-n-fly planes. It looks like a nice radio though.... I would rather have a DX9 than that one, but the extra $100 on the price might put that out of range....

Will if fly your helimax 1sq? no. For the same reason you cant fly bind-n-fly planes with it. Each radio brand will only work with its own brand receivers, or receivers made for it.
Jan 15, 2015, 10:30 PM
Team Hitec, Sales
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
You have that backward.... you should be a lot more worried about "parkflyers" than about puncturing a lipo with a screwdriver ..

Thinking parkflyer planes are "safe" is a mistake. I had 6 tendons in my arm (the ones for all my fingers) cut by a "parkflyer" prop pulling only 24 amps.... I would rather get hit by a wood prop on a nitro plane than a plastic prop on an electric plane... the damage to myself would certainly be a lot less...
It's always the small ones that get you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY
OK less than 9" slow flyer prop

It's easy to do mistakes. I fooled around with a E-sky CP-belt heli once.
Flipping accidentally the throttle hold ... I was lucky it just stripped the
main gear for some teeths. Wrong setting of ESC (hard start).

Warned a pal with a similar heli about it! Despite the warning he managed to cut himself and destroyed a PC monitor

He still fly helis ... I went over to small 25" wingspan (max 8" prop) planes and EDF.
Helicopters bring up an interesting aspect to the safety of the hobby, but because I do not have much first hand experience with them I can't really comment here. Personally I think that helicopter/multirotor safety should be discussed in the appropriate forums.
Jan 15, 2015, 10:31 PM
Team Hitec, Sales
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFlyte
Hey guys I'm brand new to RC. I mean really new. and so I try to follow up on what I can understand. So I purchased a practice quad HeliMax 1sq vcam. It's really a nice little bird, and I'm learning to fly it with the white lights facing me. I already have the normal direction down pretty good but I get turned around Literally when I make a U turn. What I wanted to find out from someone more knowledgable is:

1 does anyone have an opinion on the Futaba 10jh and

2 will it fly a quad like the helimax 1sq? Tx, slt - FHSS?
I would suggest asking in the Multirotors forum:

https://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-el...ltirotors-790/

You will get better responses there.

As far as your transmitter goes, I would suggest doing some reading upon transmitter modulation and the different modulations out there.
Jan 20, 2015, 10:41 AM
I just wanted to add an experience that I had just last week.

I had performed the preflight and range checks on my Apprentice S, while performing a visual inspection of the left aileron I had my TX on a strap hanging from my neck while wearing a heavy coat, and as my left arm crossed over my TX I had inadvertently bumped my Throttle. Luckily I was holding my airplane from the side of the fuse with the motor pointed upward and away from me. It startled me, but I maintained composure, held on to the plane, and moved the throttle down. I had a good laugh after that, but if I had held the plane wrong this incident could have turned out for the worse.

So to sum things up, always be aware of your TX, especially when wearing heavy clothing or swinging around on your neck by the strap.
Jan 20, 2015, 09:07 PM
Team Hitec, Sales
I typically don't use neck straps for that specific reason. My throttle lock won't let the throttle advance, but you can never be too safe
Jan 20, 2015, 11:10 PM
Heli's rule!
I use a neckstrap.. once I tried one I can never be without one again, but I do NOT let my radio dangle by the neckstrap, ever. Even with a throttle cut/hold switch, if the radio is dangling, you can bump switches as well as the throttle.... My strap has a built in buckle, so I can set the radio down without having to take the strap off....
Jan 21, 2015, 12:42 AM
And you fellow Spektrum users, don't use the plastic clip intended to hold a bind plug as your radio clip from the neck strap! The metal clip holds the radio. I've read here on rcg several people dropped their radios doing that.
Jan 21, 2015, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
I typically don't use neck straps for that specific reason. My throttle lock won't let the throttle advance, but you can never be too safe
I find it very handy to use a neck strap, my arms begin getting tired of holding the TX after a while. But after my little episode you can bet that I'll not ever pay attention to the proximity of my TX controls again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
I use a neckstrap.. once I tried one I can never be without one again, but I do NOT let my radio dangle by the neckstrap, ever. Even with a throttle cut/hold switch, if the radio is dangling, you can bump switches as well as the throttle.... My strap has a built in buckle, so I can set the radio down without having to take the strap off....
I'm learning to not dangle off of my neck when I'm making adjustments or retrieving something. As stated above, I'm learning to not let it dangle from my neck while making adjustments and such. I have the buckle too, but sometimes I'm away from a table, bench, or other support surface to set my TX on, so it'll end up on the ground, and I don't like wiping dirt off of the bottom before I use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k
And you fellow Spektrum users, don't use the plastic clip intended to hold a bind plug as your radio clip from the neck strap! The metal clip holds the radio. I've read here on rcg several people dropped their radios doing that.
I'm not familiar with that clip. I'll have to see if my DX6 that is coming has that clip. But, now that I have that knowledge I'll be sure to be aware of this.
Jan 21, 2015, 09:46 AM
**** this ****
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k
None of my bind plugs fit on my clip, and that stupid black clip thing really put my plane in jeopardy once or twice during a 3D session. I would need to give full deflection, but the clip would get in the gimbals limiting stick travel. After the second incident I landed immediatley and took the thing off. I have never unclipped the radio with bind plugs. Oh and robert, it is the thing in the pic.
Jan 21, 2015, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin' Extra
None of my bind plugs fit on my clip, and that stupid black clip thing really put my plane in jeopardy once or twice during a 3D session. I would need to give full deflection, but the clip would get in the gimbals limiting stick travel. After the second incident I landed immediatley and took the thing off. I have never unclipped the radio with bind plugs. Oh and robert, it is the thing in the pic.
Thank you for showing a pic of this to me. And also, I found your info to be very helpful. If you have found that the bind plug and clip get in the way of the sticks, then I'll be sure to keep these off of my TX. I'm also sure that others will find this info useful as well.

I've recently begun using a shoulder pack to carry all of my airplane parts and accessories in, and I'm sure that I can simply attach my bind plugs to a key hook or a zipper that's inside the pack.
Jan 21, 2015, 11:08 AM
**** this ****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert4613
Thank you for showing a pic of this to me. And also, I found your info to be very helpful. If you have found that the bind plug and clip get in the way of the sticks, then I'll be sure to keep these off of my TX. I'm also sure that others will find this info useful as well.

I've recently begun using a shoulder pack to carry all of my airplane parts and accessories in, and I'm sure that I can simply attach my bind plugs to a key hook or a zipper that's inside the pack.
Thanks, yeah it was a experience id hate to repeat. But maybe you could put it on the metal rack on the back just behind the antenna. I dont know if the dx6 has a metal rack. If it has a plastic rack, be careful because I belive the plastic one is an antenna on newer models. As far as a Tx case goes, I use this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYSG2&P=ML

It is great, has room for one tx and about 4 3s 2200s, or a tx and a boatload of tools personally I put my nano cpx, its 9 batteries, lipo voltage checker, ama card, and my dx8 in there, with room to spare if I ever wanted to, I could put my PSU and 2 quad port chargers in there.
Jan 21, 2015, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Thanks, yeah it was a experience id hate to repeat. But maybe you could put it on the metal rack on the back just behind the antenna. I dont know if the dx6 has a metal rack. If it has a plastic rack, be careful because I belive the plastic one is an antenna on newer models. As far as a Tx case goes, I use this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYSG2&P=ML

It is great, has room for one tx and about 4 3s 2200s, or a tx and a boatload of tools personally I put my nano cpx, its 9 batteries, lipo voltage checker, ama card, and my dx8 in there, with room to spare if I ever wanted to, I could put my PSU and 2 quad port chargers in there.
That's the best deal that I've ever seen on a hard case! I'll have to consider picking this one up.
Jan 21, 2015, 02:02 PM
**** this ****
Its awesome, it paid for itself many times over.
Jan 21, 2015, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Its awesome, it paid for itself many times over.
My Fiance has told me that I'm "plane poor", and I've only just begun! So this one will have to sit on the back burner for a couple weeks or so.