Handling your electric airplane SAFELY - Page 3 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Xpress.., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 01, 2014, 07:29 PM
Heli's rule!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCcolorado
Same with the dx9 and I love it! Probably has saved me a few interesting power ons

Where can I find the throttle LOCK on a dx9 or for that matter any of the similar spektum t/x's? I have lightly bumped the throttle on a few occasions having the plane start to slowly taxi away from me before I can react. This would be a huge benefit.
I have a DX6 but I think its probably the same on the dx9 , its right in the function list (first menu when you press the roller) choose "throttle cut", scroll down to "switch" press the roller, then toggle the switch you want to use (I use the one on the lower right shoulder, same as throttle hold for me helis, (its switch "H" on the dx6)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2014, 07:39 PM
Mile High Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
I have a DX6 but I think its probably the same on the dx9 , its right in the function list (first menu when you press the roller) choose "throttle cut", scroll down to "switch" press the roller, then toggle the switch you want to use (I use the one on the lower right shoulder, same as throttle hold for me helis, (its switch "H" on the dx6)
Awesome! Thank you!! (my search results weren't too useful )
Jul 01, 2014, 08:06 PM
Where did that tree come from
on page 27 in the DX9 manual. And take your prop off first. For some reason on some motor, it will start up on you until you get the throttle cut dial in.
Jul 01, 2014, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55
on page 27 in the DX9 manual. And take your prop off first. For some reason on some motor, it will start up on you until you get the throttle cut dial in.
I think that's more to do with the radios programming, setting the throttle lock to 100% throttle or to 0% throttle, but yes I agree: Always remove the propeller!
Latest blog entry: Multiplex FunCub XL!
Jul 01, 2014, 10:45 PM
Heli's rule!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCcolorado
Awesome! Thank you!! (my search results weren't too useful )
also, on mine I noticed that it defaulted to -125 for throttle cut, where zero throttle is only -100. MOST of the time this is not a problem, but on some self calibrating ESC's, if your throttle cut sets the throttle lower than zero throttle, the esc will register the -125 as the new "zero" throttle, then when you take throttle cut off, your motor will start since it went "up" from -125 to -100...

Basically, make sure your throttle cut matches zero throttle, watch the monitor, if you have the throttle at zero, and you hit throttle cut, the throttle indicator should not move.
Jul 09, 2014, 11:14 AM
Good point dacaur! I've had to change the default to -100 whenever setting up throttle cut.

I wish Spektrum would follow Hitec's lead and have a dedicated switch! Safety is worth it imho.
Jul 09, 2014, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringdreamer
I wish Spektrum would follow Hitec's lead and have a dedicated switch! Safety is worth it imho.
I wish everybody would start doing that. It would be more practical.
Latest blog entry: Multiplex FunCub XL!
Jul 10, 2014, 02:10 PM
Had an almost bad-accident moment today when I decided to calibrate an ESC on the field. Even with the prop hitting my cloth, still got minor cut.
Lesson learned.

Remove the prop, remove the prop, remove the prop!
Jul 17, 2014, 10:59 AM
Arming the esc while having the tx throttle maxed is always a delicate operation.

Glad you weren't hurt too badly!
Jul 19, 2014, 01:06 PM
Micro and Beyond!
As a newbie to the hobby, I really appreciate this thread. I'd just like to add that as far as I'm concerned, civilians have the "right-of-way". I fly Micros at a football field a couple blocks away. If anyone comes to the field for frisby or whatever, I land. I may not want to but I do.

Never fly over people.
Jul 27, 2014, 01:00 AM

Safety Design Violations of Electric RC Airplanes

Upon recently reentering RC flying, which now includes electric powered models (dating me originally from the nitro-only era), I have some serious concerns about the safety of these electric models. Their operational default logic appears to be in clear violation of non-compliance with basic Code of Federal Regulation (CFR's) concerning rotating equipment.

After encountering a bloody hand from multiple propeller lacerations following a surprise attack from a runaway twin engine electric-powered airplane, I was concerned to learn of the following design faults.

1. An active transmitter signal is required to maintain rotating equipment in a safe condition (low throttle or OFF). Lack of signal causes engines to go to full throttle. No safety function shall require energize-to-control, or actuate.

2. Kill switches are not widely installed on model airplanes.

3. Control circuit power (servos) and driver power (engines) have a common power supply.

4. LiPO power supplies carry requirements about being attended during charging. I don't believe anyone is actively practicing home battery watch.

5. Aircraft battery compartment location is often in, or near, propeller path.

I am looking further into this situation for possible required compensatory actions. Please direct me along any active similar actions that may already be in progress.
Last edited by RKMagnus; Jul 27, 2014 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Correct typos
Jul 27, 2014, 02:09 AM
That's interesting. Which part of the cfr's are model airplanes in? Required compensatory action? You mean you're suing someone?
Jul 27, 2014, 11:27 AM
Heli's rule!
If you are looking for someone to sue, I would look toward whoever had control of the transmitter at the time. ...

It is unfortunate that it so easy to get hurt by a model airplane, but following a few basic safety rules can eliminate close to 100% of them. The downside here is that there is a serious lack of safety practices followed by many modelers, especily newer ones, simply because they don't realize what they are doing is dangerous.

as for your bullet points...

1. nearly all systems sold today have a failsafe in the RX so that lack of signal will put the throttle at a pre-set condition. It is unfortunately the end users responisibily to set the failsafe position. this is detailed in the manual.

2. kill switches are available, if you choose to use one.

3. A BEC is convenient, but you can in fact use one battery for the servos and one for the motor

4. I only charge my batteries while I am in the room. Some people might choose not to do so, but that is their choice.

5. when the prop Is in the front, its tough to put the battery anywhere else... I guess you could try putting them on the wingtips, but IMO that would be MORE dangerous, and result in a poor performing plane...
Jul 27, 2014, 12:39 PM
I'm still waiting to hear about the CFR's. Sheesh! If we go down this road with model planes we also better start the ban on dihydrogen monoxide. Now that is some dangerous stuff! Dihydrogen Monoxide MSDS
Jul 30, 2014, 11:09 PM
I tried setting throttle cut on my DX6i; the only options are INH (off) and ACT (activated). There's not a "switch" menu item.

When I depress the Throttle Cut button (top right next to aileron hi/lo rate switch), it inhibits the throttle control. But ONLY while I depress the button.

I would have preferred if it was sticky, ie, you push it in and release it, throttle is inhibited. To enable, push in and release again. Any way around this, other than buying a DX7/8/9?

Regards