Jun 15, 2014, 12:54 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Launching 800 mm Span Warbirds?

Hi Guys,
Just wondering what your thoughts are on the best way to launch these planes.
I have a FMS FW190 and have not had much luck hand launching it. I can't seem to launch it fast enough for the controls to have enough authority.
i am left handed AND fly Mode two, so I can keep thumb on ail/elv stick as I launch but seems to wobble and tip stall before I get up enough speed.
Field has quite long grass at the moment and I'm an amputee, so I can run to hand launch it. My 1100 mm Stinson takes off ok on our field. but not this smaller one.
The only options I can think of, besides someone else hand launching it for me is:
Try to discus launch it or buy/build a small catapult to get it up to speed when launching....:0)

Power seems 'adequate' for flying( it won't hang on its prop )....maybe that is a bit marginal hand launches?
I seen mention of going to 3S instead of 2S. This is my first 2S plane.
Don't want super power, just easy launches......

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2014, 07:00 AM
Supersonic Engineering
A small catapult with a ramp for the model will give you much more consistent launches, but it's even more paraphernalia to take to the field and set up.
Jun 15, 2014, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterob
Hi Guys,
I have a FMS FW190 and have not had much luck hand launching it. I can't seem to launch it fast enough for the controls to have enough authority.
i am left handed AND fly Mode two, so I can keep thumb on ail/elv stick as I launch but seems to wobble and tip stall before I get up enough speed.
Field has quite long grass at the moment and I'm an amputee, so I can run to hand launch it. My 1100 mm Stinson takes off ok on our field. but not this smaller one.
The only options I can think of, besides someone else hand launching it for me is:
Try to discus launch it or buy/build a small catapult to get it up to speed when launching....:0)

Power seems 'adequate' for flying( it won't hang on its prop )....maybe that is a bit marginal hand launches?

Steve
3s may make it easier or even harder to launch. Problem with more power on launches is it tends to make the plane roll over if you launch with to much throttle. If it's a little to nose heavy the problems get even worse.
Best thing I have found for planes that give me a hard time is to set a mix on the radio with a little up elevator for the launch. 4ch birds I just use the flap switch and mix in the up el on the flap setting plage. Hit the switch run power up to 3/4 or more depending on the system in the plane and chuck it. If anything it climbs out at a steeper angle than normal, but gives plenty of time to get your other hand back on the controls.
Jun 15, 2014, 10:45 AM
Over-engineered
Launch underhanded. Grab the top of the fuselage in front of the canopy, spool the motor up, and give it a sweeping toss. If the wings are slightly rolled to the right, so much the better, because the torque from the motor will roll the plane to level.

Lots of folks recommended this and it sounded nuts to me, but from the first time I tried it a few years ago I've never once gone back to launching overhand. I do this with all of my Alfa models (Bf109F, Tempest, Fw190A, Fw190D), which are similar size and weight.

I am also left handed. I have the transmitter on a neck strap and either throttle with my teeth or rest it against my stomach and use my right hand to throttle up.

Also, as said above, make sure that the CG is correct. Excessive noseheaviness will always undo even the best technique. If you use your fingertips, invest in something like a Great Planes CG machine, or rig up something yourself that will do a similar job.

Here's a random youtube example. He takes a step when he does it, but you don't need to (at least I think I don't do it that way):
Alfa P-47 Razorback (2 min 25 sec)
Last edited by Bf109G; Jun 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
Jun 15, 2014, 11:37 AM
Der Schaum-Kriegsvogel Pilot
I have the exact same plane, and it is one of the hardest hand launchers I have in the hangar. Attached below is a video of the failed maiden hand launch.

After repair, I got it figured out. With this plane, you have to give it a good HARD throw, so you get air moving over the controls. This will also counteract some of the P-factor or torque. I throw at about a 5-10 degree nose up attitude, and tilt the plane about the same to the right to offset torque roll.

All of my other hand launch planes, I go WOT for launch. This one only needs throttle or so to get airborne, and makes for easier launches. Don't throw it with the nose more than 10 degrees up, or it stalls. Just throw it hard and straight, and you have plenty of time to get on the sticks.

2S is plenty of power with this plane for scale flight. It also needs significantly more expo, and the rates dialed way back, it's a very responsive airframe. It's also tail heavy with the recommended battery out of the box. I added 4 nickels up front to get the CG right.

After making these adjustments, and changing my launch technique, it's a great flier. Beware of the camo paint, it works very well! Keep it in close until you are used to it, it's easy to lose orientation.

Good Luck, and let us know if you get it sorted out!

Edit: Didn't realize you were in Oz, and likely don't have easy access to US nickels. Our nickels weigh 5g, so I added 20 grams up front...

FMS 750mm V2 FW-190 Maiden (1 min 55 sec)
Last edited by FLTRI; Jun 15, 2014 at 11:46 AM.
Jun 15, 2014, 01:27 PM
Hand launching is one of those things that is way over though. Anything can be hand launched with minimal trouble as long as you know your plane. I find it best to throttle up to the point where the plane wants to hover in your hand. To much power you get the dreaded left torque folks speak of. The 800mm FMS planes hand launch very nice, the problem is folks use to much throttle at launch. The best launch form is the over hand throw as most folks can control the plane best that way. Underhand is ok but very throttle sensitive and the fling toss is just fun to do.

Here is a 35" Corsair that is grossly over weight at 50 ounces. It still hand launches well with knowing the throttle. It produces 130 ounces of thrust and if too much throttle is used it will snap violently to the left before it leaves my hand even. Its all about throttle management and knowing what your plane wants or needs at launch. The first and last video are planes that are a little more difficult to hand launch but still doable with throttle management.
GWS EF-1 racing Corsair. (3 min 50 sec)

GWS AT-6 low and slow (4 min 22 sec)

GWS Corsair hand toss (0 min 24 sec)

GWS Corsair dumb butt antics (0 min 45 sec)

Multiplex Dogfighter (4 min 41 sec)
Jun 15, 2014, 01:54 PM
An Ordinary User
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Steve

Hello, I had a FMS AT6-Texan and T-28. Both of them were very heavy for that size and I had the same trouble with the stock setup and 2S battery.

They both really need a lot of airspeed from the hand launch but not from a lot of throttle. The T-28 was the worst at torque rolling when I used a lot of throttle. I managed to figure out how to hand launch them both and that was to either
a) use more power to hand launch
b) apply full right rudder to counter-act torque roll to the left until enough airspeed attained to fly level
Jun 16, 2014, 05:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling
A small catapult with a ramp for the model will give you much more consistent launches, but it's even more paraphernalia to take to the field and set up.
yes, thats a problem with that. More stuff to transport and set up, etc.
I might try just a small Bungie without the ramp.....
Ive got a big one, but the rubber would be stuffed by now.
Jun 16, 2014, 05:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB
Hello, I had a FMS AT6-Texan and T-28. Both of them were very heavy for that size and I had the same trouble with the stock setup and 2S battery.

They both really need a lot of airspeed from the hand launch but not from a lot of throttle. The T-28 was the worst at torque rolling when I used a lot of throttle. I managed to figure out how to hand launch them both and that was to either
a) use more power to hand launch
b) apply full right rudder to counter-act torque roll to the left until enough airspeed attained to fly level
I didn't have full throttle for that reason, as I'm used to launching electric gliders at 2/3 throttle or there-abouts to stop the nose pulling up.

So you didn't try 3S?

I got it up 1 out 3 attempts and did a circuit but it was a sensitive as hell, so landed to adjust.
I never got it back up...lol

Thinking of putting a DLG launch peg in the wing and trying that.....Might work and save me the hassle of tuning a littlle bungie for it....
Jun 16, 2014, 06:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bf109G
Launch underhanded. Grab the top of the fuselage in front of the canopy, spool the motor up, and give it a sweeping toss. If the wings are slightly rolled to the right, so much the better, because the torque from the motor will roll the plane to level.

Lots of folks recommended this and it sounded nuts to me, but from the first time I tried it a few years ago I've never once gone back to launching overhand. I do this with all of my Alfa models (Bf109F, Tempest, Fw190A, Fw190D), which are similar size and weight.

I am also left handed. I have the transmitter on a neck strap and either throttle with my teeth or rest it against my stomach and use my right hand to throttle up.

Also, as said above, make sure that the CG is correct. Excessive noseheaviness will always undo even the best technique. If you use your fingertips, invest in something like a Great Planes CG machine, or rig up something yourself that will do a similar job.

Here's a random youtube example. He takes a step when he does it, but you don't need to (at least I think I don't do it that way):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xISwoVyrMPw
yeah, it sounds nuts to me as well...lol That P-47 looks easier than the FW190.
Plenty of things to try and think about. I might try underhand.

Something I did, was launch the nose too high I think, so maybe if I can bring myself to launch flatter it might be ok,
If I fling it , a highre nose may be ok ( high airspeed )
By the time I find a method that works for me, it won't be very pretty anymore...
( already have one repair )
Jun 16, 2014, 06:44 AM
An Ordinary User
Quote:
I didn't have full throttle for that reason, as I'm used to launching electric gliders at 2/3 throttle or there-abouts to stop the nose pulling up.

So you didn't try 3S?
I didn't go to 3S because I didn't want more airspeed. Once in the air, the stock power system provides enough speed to fly around. The only change I made to the 800mm T28 was going to a 9x6 prop for more thrust.

Quick Reply