MultiONE - 1 meter multihull class (developomental) - Page 4 - RC Groups
Jun 30, 2014, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
"Ice Out" on lakes around the early part of May - other lakes and ponds were still ice bound going into the last several weeks of May. Just a different outlook.
Oh... yeah... I honestly didn't consider that. When I think "Minnesota", I think "10,000 Lakes" not Bemidji....

Quote:

If you build - will it be a trimaran or catamaran? Just curious.
First will be a trimaran.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2014, 03:54 AM
Where´s the buildlog?
Jul 10, 2014, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disabled
Where´s the buildlog?
There are several active projects on the bench. MultiOne is in the queue, just like the active projects once were.

It will be built. (...can't promise a build log though - Haven't written one of those in some time )
Jul 10, 2014, 07:03 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
bolt two britpops together and call it a day . just kiddin
Jul 13, 2014, 10:06 AM
Still working towards a foiling 1m cat. This is a fairly major revision of the pervious design. Skinny hulls with less volume, and a mast-aft wing sail with a small wing sail on the mast to minimise parasitic drag of an exposed mast. The boat is setup with S-foils and a single rudder T-foil, however, waiting on better wind for foiling trials:

MultiONE Double Wing Sail Catamaran (1 min 18 sec)
Jul 13, 2014, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Ernst - I have one of each .... one (F48) close to ready (needs electronics) the other is a set of foam hulls (65M). As before, I want to see what Joysway introduces before I get too excited. Once they make something available, I then want to see what kind of reception a multihull gets from the US sailors. I'm not going down that old road to build only to find less than a dozen boats on the water, with fewer willing to travel.

I found out back in the "old" days, that the "horse comes before the cart" !

We'll see how the interest develops, and I've been in touch with Roland, about bringing in a batch of his boats - either as kit - or ARTS

You know....we could start a "postal competition". It used to be really popular back in the free flight days.

In our case we could limit it to straight line speeds, as measured by GPS. Everyone could post their speeds online and we could compare.

Now granted it would require everyone's honor, but sailor would never lie to win.
Jul 13, 2014, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun
You know....we could start a "postal competition". It used to be really popular back in the free flight days.

In our case we could limit it to straight line speeds, as measured by GPS. Everyone could post their speeds online and we could compare.

Now granted it would require everyone's honor, but sailor would never lie to win.
Sounds interesting, what distance would you suggest?
Jul 13, 2014, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmm
Sounds interesting, what distance would you suggest?
How about top speed and maybe average speed over a 50m course?

I have one of these and it lets me download the track to my computer. Small and light, would be perfect for a boat.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Ed...ter-P2868.aspx

Maybe its time I finish putting my Tornado-esce cat together.
Aug 23, 2014, 06:32 AM
wolfgang
So let's start with a lower bench mark, as those are vintage hulls with a narrow beam

The wind was only 1 - 2 Bft (up to 7.5 mph),

so 11.1 km/h top speed recorded (should be 7 mph)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx_p...hPam5WYTA/edit

it's an older vid, but should have been like this

20120607 Tornado laprello (5 min 1 sec)

Last edited by tuppesw; Aug 26, 2014 at 07:05 AM.
Aug 31, 2014, 07:19 AM
Ok tuppesw, I'm taking up your challenge. No GPS device yet, but I've started working on the boat speed:

MultiOne - Speed trials - 1 (0 min 25 sec)
Last edited by rcmm; Aug 31, 2014 at 07:49 AM.
Aug 31, 2014, 01:39 PM
Looking Good!!!
Easier than the 65's .
Sep 09, 2014, 01:09 PM
wolfgang
Quote:
Ok tuppesw, I'm taking up your challenge. No GPS device yet, but I've started working on the boat speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0khKnqh6g4
Hi Jim,

looks great! I'm at Lake Garda now, looking for flat water high winds and no waves! (no chance!
Sep 09, 2014, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Ok tuppesw, I'm taking up your challenge. No GPS device yet, but I've started working on the boat speed
If using a GPS to measure speed, you may have to maintain the high speed for three or four seconds to get a reliable maximum reading. I found this was the case with a fast electric.... Holding speed should be easier with sail power and comparatively lower speeds hopefully!
Sep 20, 2014, 06:53 AM
wolfgang
Hi MrPenguin,

I use this equipment, you can use it in a fast and a slow plane mode.

I'm still in the slow plane mode

The recording interval is about 0.1 sec and the gps-coordinates are written every 0.5 sec on the sd-card.
Larger steps at the recorded speed I noticed only from higher to lower speeds (pitch poles )
I use it now on all of my boats

(a 6h track from the last regatta with my older monohull:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx_p...JrVTdVcWc/edit)

Ok, the gps equipment is a bit pricy, so if it is too much to ask,

what about a windward-flying-hull-contest

201409 Schlueter Tornado Lake Garda wwfhc (1 min 8 sec)
Sep 20, 2014, 11:31 AM
Nice sailing Wolfgang. I don't think my current configuration can compete in a "hull flying" competition.

Name: MultiOne Cat - Soft Sails.jpg
Views: 20
Size: 506.7 KB
Description:

I'm still working on foiling. I've tried a few different arrangements, but I've got a lot to learn, so progress is slow. The boat now has dual T-foil rudders and two fixed J-foils. The angle of the J is a bit too acute and will be "softened" in the next iteration. I've also given up on the wing for the moment. I'm waiting on sail material to make some decent sails (the current sails are made from $2 shower curtain). I'm also waiting on some decent wind:

MultiOne - Soft Sails (2 min 28 sec)