MultiONE - 1 meter multihull class (developomental) - RC Groups
Jun 12, 2014, 08:40 PM
Discussion

MultiONE - 1 meter multihull class (developomental)

As part of an ever expanding discussion of multihulls, foilers and various previously proposed classes (sizes) of multihulls, the following posts should be confined to the discussion of one (1) meter long multihulls - trimaran, catamaran, etc.

The following were the MultiONE rules as discussed and agreed upon by builders of boats to these rules and size.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2014, 08:56 PM
Good stuff!

Rule 8.1... I read that to mean that the tips of a T-foil cannot extend beyond the 48" max beam?
Jun 12, 2014, 09:03 PM
correct - might create an "issue" when rounding marks .......
Jun 12, 2014, 09:04 PM

Mutli One

Dick, great idea! Just curious-was the beam restriction added at some point? I'm curious because the F3 taught me the importance of an oversquare platform for a Bradfield type foiler. The F3 was 1.29 times as wide as it was long, and according to the pdf the MultiOne restriction is 1.22? Thats a difference of only two inches but nevertheless I don't get it? The Bradfield system would still work at 1.22. I thought I remembered there being no beam restriction so I'm just curious where the 1.22 figure came from....I know it's been a long time.
Jun 12, 2014, 09:07 PM
True! the note following 8.1 is interesting too. encourages a conservative approach- If I am able to hoist a chute, but the boat crashes and burns right in front of a competitor as a result...
Jun 12, 2014, 09:12 PM
Yup - after fist-fighting, drive by shootings, you capitulated to a 48 inch beam (max) and a 1 meter length boat. Kris handled the class rules until he couldn't continue the website. I just, somehow, managed to grab a copy before it went dark.

Speaking of dark, for those lost in the definition of "Oversquare" - here is a photo of a local Minnesota owner of one of Doug's foilers. Note the beam compared to the length. Turning around while carrying this thing called for a bit of caution - or gel-coat work.
Jun 12, 2014, 11:08 PM
Sure looks neat!

Jun 13, 2014, 02:19 AM
wolfgang
oops, my old toy might fit in the (open) class.

Schlueter Tornado 2014 06 04 b-rig b (5 min 15 sec)

Schlueter Tornado 2014 06 04 c-rig 2 (6 min 22 sec)

So where do I get the class logo?
Jun 13, 2014, 02:30 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Whens the nationals?
Jun 13, 2014, 02:37 AM
wolfgang
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design
Whens the nationals?
the sooner the better...

I'm ready
Jun 13, 2014, 06:28 AM
I will continue the description of the development of my 1m wing sail foiling cat on this thread.

I'm currently trying to develop a simple, cheap wing sail foiling cat. The hulls and sails are made from Depron foam while the frame is 10mm carbon tube, joined by plastic irrigation fittings. The boat is 1x1m and ca. 1.5 kg

The first prototype sails quite well, but still needs some work (this clip was previously shown on the AC62 thread):

MultiONE Catamaran (2 min 0 sec)

Because of the method of construction the rudders, daggerboards and foils need to be attached to the frame rather than the hulls. waterproof servos are also required as it is difficult to place anything inside the foam hulls.

On smaller boats I've covered the hull's with heat shrink, which results in a smooth more durable surface. I'm hoping to find wide enough tube to do the same with this boat.
Last edited by rcmm; Jun 13, 2014 at 06:36 AM.
Jun 13, 2014, 07:26 AM

MultiOne

Jim, I'm curious about the length and area of the immersed part of your daggerboard when the boat is level and your sail area in the video above?
Jun 13, 2014, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
Jim, I'm curious about the length and area of the immersed part of your daggerboard when the boat is level and your sail area in the video above?
Doug,

Dagger board (immersed portion) = 28cm in depth, 126 cm2
Sail area = 4257 cm2

You might have noticed that the dagger board is actually a T-foil. I'm now adding additional foils close to the hulls. The original plan was to have adjustable (rotating) surface piercing foils along with the central T-foil, but I might start with UptiP foils and see if I can get away without the additional servos, my apologies if it is getting too close to your MPX system.

Jim.
Jun 13, 2014, 09:31 AM

Multi One

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmm
Doug,

Dagger board (immersed portion) = 28cm in depth, 126 cm2
Sail area = 4257 cm2

You might have noticed that the dagger board is actually a T-foil. I'm now adding additional foils close to the hulls. The original plan was to have adjustable (rotating) surface piercing foils along with the central T-foil, but I might start with UptiP foils and see if I can get away without the additional servos, my apologies if it is getting too close to your MPX system.

Jim.
====================
Jim, one of the reasons I did such a long detailed thread on my boat was to encourage others to experiment and use anything I develop-no interest whatsoever in patents etc-been there done that. When I prove how well it works it might get a second look from a bunch of people-or not. But it's there to help, if possible. http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/mul...-36058-90.html
Thanks for the info!