35" se-5 - RC Groups
Jun 12, 2014, 05:18 PM
Build Log

35" se-5

Well, while we were gring out the C-130 I was also working on the new 35" span SE-5. This one is going to AirAGE as a Construction Article in the near future, and will eventually be kitted, though I'm not at liberty yet to say by whom.

Meanwhile, this is one that started life a couple years ago but ended up sidelined for various reasons, but now she's finally back on the front burner.

Construction is very conventional, and is set up for 4 ch. R/C and a 400 class outrunner on 2 cells. Target weight is around 15 oz. with battery enough for solid 15 minute + flights, so stay tuned and lets see how we make out.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2014, 05:20 PM

Begining at the Rear

Construction begins with the tail section. There are no laminations needed for this one, so it all lays out pretty quickly.
Jun 12, 2014, 05:24 PM

Moving On to the Wings

The wings are of the egg-crate style of constuction and use shaped tip pieces so again, no laminated bows are required. The aileron servos are in the bottom wings only, so the only difference between the two is the servo mounts, and on top, the center section. The bottom wings attach to the fuselage sides using alignment pins to insure it all comes out straight.
Jun 12, 2014, 05:31 PM

Framing the Fuselage

The fuselage side frames are built first, then joined with formers and cross pieces. The best place to start is with the LG beams since the forward fuselage is flat on the bottom and lends itself well to easy alignment. The rudder post is supported with a pair of machinists squares to align and glue.

The motor mount box is incorperated into the front bulkhead, so it was built first. The cabane strut mounts are built up and glued in place, and from there it was just a matter of adding the stringers and cockpit cover. Doesn't get much easier then that.
Jun 12, 2014, 05:34 PM

Fitting Up the servos and Motor Mount

The elevator and rudder servos are mounted on balsa rails inside the fuselage. The aieron servos are glued into the trays using a dab of silicone. The motor is fitted into the mount box and screwed to the firewall. Nothing fancy here either. I guess after dealing with the complexity of the C-130 for the past few months all this seams almost too easy. . . . .
Jun 12, 2014, 05:37 PM

Dry Fitting the Big Pieces

The landing gear was shaped and soldered together followed by the cabane struts. The wings were then fitted in place and the struts dry fitted to check for basic fit and alignment. So far, so good.
Jun 12, 2014, 05:40 PM

Getting Down to the Details

With the major framing done, all of the parts were sanded and sealed where needed, and the struts stained and varnished. And with that, the frames were detail sanded and prepped for cover.
Jun 12, 2014, 05:42 PM

One Last Detail

Before covering I decided to get the ESC in place. Sine it looked like the battery would end up all the way forward, I placed the ESC above the upper longeron to keep it as out of the way as possible, just in case.
Jun 12, 2014, 05:45 PM

Covering the Frames

The model was covered with Dk Green Microlite on top, and Cream on the bottom. The top side was then cleaned with white viniger and sprayed with Model Master Field Drab mixed with a few drops of Insignia red. The graphics came from Callie, and were applied wet this time.
Jun 12, 2014, 05:50 PM

Setting Up the Wings

The Washout Jig was set up and the bottom wings glued in place using Canopy Glue and allowed to dry overnight. The top wing was then fitted uding the centerling jig. With everything lined up and looking straight, all the points of contact were tack glued with thin Cya. But in the spirit of keeping things simple, the engine/exhaust parts and the gun sight was fitted bofore the top wing went on. The site was then removed and glued into position after the top wing was secured.
Jun 12, 2014, 05:56 PM

Leaning In toward Final Assembly

With the wings in place and secured, all of the rigging was added, followed by the landing gear fairings and a few odds and ends. The aieron controls had been set up before the wings went on, and while it was still on the jig, the aileron link rids were built up from 1/16 aluminum tubes and conected with heat shrink tubing. From there the controls were set up using a Spektrum AR-6000 Rx and the DX-7 Tx. The 1320 2S Lipo was velcroed to the back side of the motor mount to get a perfect CG. And now, she's ready to fly.
Jun 12, 2014, 06:01 PM

Maiden Day

After the first couple landings i decided that the model really did need the landing gear speader, so I took it home and set it up using a split wire "axle" made from .046 steel wire. Then a full width section of 1/16 ID brass tube was soldered to the axle on one end so the landing gear still had a bit of spring. As gentle as she lands, a rigid gear wouldn't be a problem, but I thought I'd try it this way and see how it went, which turned out to be a success. And, the model realy does look a whole lot nicer with the scale landing gear wing.
Jun 12, 2014, 06:10 PM

So How Did She Fly???

Glad you asked -- in a word, BEAUTIFULLY. As WW-I fighters go, this is the most well behaved of any I've flown. Now don't get me wrong, the controls are lively enough for some great scale manouvoring, but not the least bit "twitchy". Power is a good bit better then scale, but not so over-powered as to make it uncomfortable to fly at any power setting. And the landings are a breeze; ease the nose up a bit, carry a little power, and wait for it to arrive. Simple as that. Once in ground effect the sink rate drops right off, and when the mains touch, you're done. No bouncing or tendency to ground loop or even head for a wing tip.

So, for a quick "while the glue dries on the other project" project, this one turned out a terrific flying model at 14.8 oz. The wing loading is just under 5 oz./ sq. ft., but surprisingly it's not what I would call a "floater". It's rediculously stable and a very solid flyer, and is absolutely everything I had hoped the SE-5 would be.

PAT
Jun 12, 2014, 06:14 PM
Power Upward
Very nice Pat,

But I didn't see the Herk in the background anywhere...

George
Jun 12, 2014, 06:57 PM
I eat glue
I knew it!!