HobbyKing Quanum DIY FPV Goggle Set with Monitor (KIT) - Page 5 - RC Groups
Jun 13, 2014, 04:07 AM
Sent by Touch Typing
Yes I understand where you are coming from, but there are other considerations apart from blue screen, this one gives an excellent picture (I have one) but I get blue screen flashes all the time.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281206263...84.m1497.l2649

Therefore I will try the lower resolution with no blue screen flashes as a compromise. I have seen goggles with 320x240 and they were ok (to me) and this resolution is higher, i have my fingers crossed.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2014, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
It sound quite a bad resolution
yeah.. and I am not very sure about 480x360 ... the one most confirmed is 480x272..

The fact why there is preference over the goggles with higher resolution is that the image quality from the camera is already not the best, and we almost do not notice the difference, but looking at one screen instead of two (in goggles) is much easier...
I might be wrong though ...
Jun 13, 2014, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumixmd
yeah.. and I am not very sure about 480x360 ... the one most confirmed is 480x272..

The fact why there is preference over the goggles with higher resolution is that the image quality from the camera is already not the best, and we almost do not notice the difference, but looking at one screen instead of two (in goggles) is much easier...
I might be wrong though ...
PAL and NTSC signal is around 700x500 pixels ... interlaced ... that means every frame has 500/2 ... around 250 lines ... but once mixed together it make full 500 lines

My guess these lcd just don't care of de-interlace the video signal, so they just pop out half of the available pixels

Anyhow, I just own cheap goggle so, I guess I will not see much quality difference
Jun 13, 2014, 06:02 AM
Hi guys,

I ordered one kit too, I'll give you my opinion compared to my Attitude SD with which I have flown in FPV for more than one year. I don't know whether it's because of this kit but my order has been shipped within a day whereas usually it takes around 3 days.

I ordered this kit because I know many people who own that kind of goggles and they have said that they're much better than Fatshark goggles. Not only in terms of image but quality but also in terms of immersion.

I'll tell you what I think once I get them
Jun 13, 2014, 07:04 AM
For what it is. I like it. Im a monitor guy myself and this could be a good tool for getting over to goggles.
Jun 13, 2014, 07:09 AM
WannaBeLikeJoshTheSlowJet
I have been using Fatsharks base that i have heavily modified (wireless 2.4 ang 5.8) + head tracking and also made special inserts for my prescription glasses but i always get the cross eyed pain after wearing them.

So with this cheap setup i can wear my glasses and wont have the cross eyed effect.

I started with trimersion goggles that was really small in screen size, then headplay's and fatsharks, so i will have reference when i do the comparison.
Jun 13, 2014, 07:13 AM
Just another FPV addicted teen
The reason is that it will most likely make it non blue screen. I have yet to try it for myself.
Jun 13, 2014, 08:25 AM
I posted a question with HK when this was first advertised asking about resolution. The post disappeared when 480p appeared. Now its 480px (w), big difference. Ive just notified HK that as the product was incorrectly advertised I reserve my right to claim a refund plus postage if I am disappointed. They can't afford to make such silly mistakes.
Jun 13, 2014, 08:32 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos
Not a rip-off, these comes with a screen that doesn't show bluescreen, we all tried to make one our self but could not find a non-bluescreen lcd, they did it.
Incorrect. There are many screens available, at better resolution, and as mentioned by others a DVR or OSD inline will eliminate blue screen on any screen.

Also, I think you're dismissing how flippantly they are copying Bob's Eco Goggles. Getting a batch of low-res screens means nothing. They clearly stole the design, tweaked it and are unabashedly selling it.

For those of you that want a real 800x480 resolution screen, see these posts. (1, 2, 3, 4)
Last edited by Jefte; Jun 13, 2014 at 08:38 AM.
Jun 13, 2014, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefte
Incorrect. There are many screens available, at better resolution, and as mentioned by others a DVR or OSD inline will eliminate blue screen on any screen.

Also, I think you're dismissing how flippantly they are copying Bob's Eco Goggles. Getting a batch of low-res screens means nothing. They clearly stole the design, tweaked it and are unabashedly selling it.

For those of you that want a real 800x480 resolution screen, see these posts. (1, 2, 3, 4)
Bob eco goggles never was "invented" i did this design 4 years ago with foamboard and reading fresnel lens from the dollar store,
HobbyKing did a nice package that includes it all in a cheap price, the low res screen is not a problem, everyone ir raving about high res, let me tell you that the picture quality on this "low res" screen will be much easier to read than any goggles out there.

We need to stop with the "they copied this and that" attitude, me and my brother were selling ZebroWings and all the n00bs were saying "You copy Zephyr !"... like Zephyr invented flying wings......

Hobbyking does what they do best, bring cheap items to us at low price, if you think it is a rip-off then manufacture one yourself, pay the 10k$ for the EPP Mold find a cheap $$ non blue screen small lcd and sell it.
Jun 13, 2014, 09:02 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast
They have no respect for intellectual property rights. Go enjoy your cheap products, clearly that's your only motivator. There is a thing known as ethics, well... it used to be known.

The screen they are packaging is still garbage. 480px wide? What a joke. The screen in my goggles is 800x480.
Jun 13, 2014, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefte
They have no respect for intellectual property rights. Go enjoy your cheap products, clearly that's your only motivator. There is a thing known as ethics, well... it used to be known.

The screen they are packaging is still garbage. 480px wide? What a joke. The screen in my goggles is 800x480.
The screen is a joke if is only a 480px ... but I don't think in this case there is any IPR involved ... I heard on the RcModelReview channel, that somebody claim the paternity of the vibration ball with additional weight for reduce jello on camera ... LOL ... you can't invent hot water or reshape a round wheel .. and pretend you made IPR

This is an old DIY cheap goggle since ages ...
Jun 13, 2014, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOaMmaSh87
The reason is that it will most likely make it non blue screen. I have yet to try it for myself.
Afaike. Eosd does not generate video signal so I don't think it will eliminate blue screen effect. Easy to test that with a regular tv.
Jun 13, 2014, 09:26 AM
OSD won't generate video signal, this is made by a Timecode machine if I remember correctly and it's More money than my entire hobby fleet...

Dvr does stop blue screen but at the same time make you lose image quality.
Jun 13, 2014, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos
OSD won't generate video signal, this is made by a Timecode machine if I remember correctly and it's More money than my entire hobby fleet...

Dvr does stop blue screen but at the same time make you lose image quality.
The HK cheapy DVR doesn't seem to affect the image quality on my 8" screen or my Eco goggles?
I was also told that running the goggles from a "Y" lead with the GS screen would degrade the picture, this hasn't either. That's unless I'm going blind or something