Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 12, 2014, 09:24 AM
Hi, i will be able to answer it as soon as I got a reply from a friend of mine. Commercial rods if made uf UD are not strong enough. normal rods are expensive. Rods I made are about 4 usd/m and the carbon is organized multiaxially there with a layer of FG. Time was not taken into consideration. .
Engine is RCG20, but looks like DLE, i don"t know why . That need to be enough for realistic flight. Regarding extra load like extra cargo or a glider on wire might need more horses (might 5HP).
That my first aerodynamic design, might need correction after the first flight/crash

BTW, reinforcement for the fuselage is laminated tonight:

2 layers of UDC on 2.5x7 mm maple will not increase the weight but will be strong
Last edited by f-romi; Jun 13, 2014 at 08:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2014, 07:58 AM
a.k.a Maltone
A pity to lose your build from the electric scale forum but don't worry, we can still see your great work

Pat
Jun 13, 2014, 08:54 AM
I would love to build a working model Shvetov M 11 engine but can't find any drawings. For now will have to be satisfied with a 3D printed shell.
Jun 13, 2014, 08:59 AM

M11 motor

May be i'll have something interesting for you
M11- D/K/L
M11-G

Last edited by f-romi; Jun 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM.
Jun 13, 2014, 05:23 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Those exposed cam gears explained couple of things I'd missed!
Jun 13, 2014, 08:38 PM
All I can say is WOW! Thanks for the drawings...Could not open M11G.??? Do all those drawings come from the same book.?
Last edited by mistairjoe; Jun 13, 2014 at 08:57 PM.
Jun 14, 2014, 06:44 AM

"Nikolai's Mule" IS one I've long thought of doing for RC, too...

Dear F-Romi:

The PIPE from New England here...long ago I got a set of Polish-drafted scale drawings of their version of the Po-2, and so far what you and Pete Rake been able to find for original Po-2 documentation seems to be the best I've yet found!

I've also got the Russian "Modelist-Constructor" magazine scale drawings for the Po-2, and those drawings include docs for the four-seat enclosed cockpit version, and the floatplane version, if you're at all interested.

That MAGNIFICENT work you did in CNC-cutting the structural parts for your Po-2 from the topmost photo in your "post no, 12" in this thread is just a "bit different" (as I'm a veteran of "stick-building" RC aircraft from way back) to how I'd be doing up a quarter scale version of the same aircraft, but it looks like it should built up very nicely for your preferred 1/5th scale Po-2. That same 1/5th scale size is one that TOM POLAPINK, an American RC Scale enthusiast that I've personally known for a few decades now, has long favored for his own World War I RC Scale designs. Tom now heads up much of the management of a legendary American place of vintage aviation preservation that we've BOTH loved all of our lives, and that I hope to be able to get back to visiting again once I can get back to work.

One thing about the Shvetsov radial the Po-2 uses, is shared by the famous line of KINNER five-jug radial mills used in many North American light aircraft of the same era that the Po-2 originated from. I've included a graphic I just whipped up this morning of your M-11 "individual camshaft" photo from post no.19, now placed alongside a page from my PDF copy of the Kinner B-5 engine manual that shows off ITS individual camshafts in the B-5's parts manual - it's attached to the footer of this reply.

The Kinner B-5 mill is the one used to power one of Old Rhinebeck's most famous, and long-enduring bipes...

...their Fleet 16B FINCH Canadian-designed biplane trainer from the WW II years, which used the Kinner B-5 five-jug radial mill, and a firm "contemporary" design of the Po-2 in almost every respect, regarding its own design.

Back in the early 1980s, I did a 1/6th RC scale model of this that I've still got...

...and I'm planning on re-powering mine with a fully broken-in Saito 56 in place of its "less-than adequate" Saito 45, as well as CAD-ding up a quarter scale version of it for Saito FG-30 four-stroke gasser mill power. My own future version of the Po-2 would be a quarter scale version as well, and perhaps decorated with a bit of Disney-sourced "nose art" that could be construed quite easily, from the spirit of the time that saw ALL of the Allied forces working together to stop the hated Nazis, to give it the name of a famous Eastern European folkloric "night witch"...

..."Baba Yaga", anyone?

Keep going forward with that great-lookin' 1/5th scale Po-2 project of yours...as I'm strictly a FOUR-stroke engine guy myself, perhaps a Saito FG-21 or FG-30 four-stroke gasser mill would work out great for a 1/5th scale sized Po-2...!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!

P.S.. A Late 2017 update...DOCUMENTATION for the Po-2 now exists "in growing profusion" in the RCGroups Scale Drawings & 3-Views thread HERE, courtesy of yours truly!
Last edited by The PIPE; Oct 05, 2017 at 06:53 AM.
Jun 14, 2014, 07:25 AM

Renaissance of The Po-2

Last edited by f-romi; Jun 14, 2014 at 10:03 AM.
Jun 16, 2014, 09:09 AM

eXtra References

Some more picts about the big planes (because nothong interesting was done since last update ):

Jun 18, 2014, 10:56 AM

Quiiz

What are theese?

Jun 18, 2014, 11:41 AM
venturi tube/airspeed.. throttle...either a navigational aide or surface throw tool
Jun 18, 2014, 12:12 PM
you were to fast and haven't got a chance for other to workout
Anyway, thanks Joe for reply. You price is a 2 years subscription for this thread
Last edited by f-romi; Jun 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM.
Jun 18, 2014, 01:51 PM
Really!! Zowieee!I was really looking forward to that.So what is the third one?
Jun 18, 2014, 02:00 PM
thats an external "precision" throwing tool. As far as I know that was working like an approximator for altitude/speed compensation.
Last edited by f-romi; Jun 18, 2014 at 04:25 PM.

Quick Reply