DYS BE1806 Thrust Tests - Page 47 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 17, 2017, 02:21 AM
Brisbane, Australia
NFE, from some notes I made on these motors:

"Was wound dLRK using 14-15 turns, using 2 strands 0.25mm, delta terminated, measured 2207Kv.
Rewound LRK using 11 turns 1 strand 0.5mm, wye terminated, 3220Kv. The stator could fit 14 or 15 turns of 0.5mm wire.
Motors run great 3S driving GF4045 BN, run cool and 650mAh battery just a bit warm, perform well."

The DYS might have a different number of turns for 2300Kv. Looks like I could have used thicker wire (which gives better efficiency) but probably didn't have any at the time. I have found so far that the rewound motors always run cooler and draw less amps for the same power. If you have the time to rewind, its well worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
Looking at the price of those Brother Hobby motors, they are about twice the price of the DYS.

I guess you pay a premium for the latest tech.

I didn't realise how fast things had developed in the racing world. But then it is always at the cutting edge, win it or be a loser I guess lol.
Yeah motors like that are aimed at dedicated racers I think. I wouldn't mind paying more money for the cheaper LESS powerful motors if they would wind them neatly with a single strand and fit top quality bearings so I don't have to rewind my own In fact I would like that.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2017, 10:34 AM
LRK, single strand and wye termination was also my plan. I really appreciate you sharing this cause I don't mind repeating and testing the process with a few different winds. Now I have a good starting point! I just thrust tested some old emax pm1806 last night with absolutely horrible performance. They are a good candidate for a learning experience. This old post by Alex also looks like it would be fun to do the math on if I can find the time to both rewind and do the math. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=24
Last edited by NotFastEnuf; Jul 17, 2017 at 12:46 PM.
Jul 17, 2017, 10:18 PM
Just thought I'd drop an update on this. .. started practicing removing stators from old motors I'm never gonna use again, cooked motors, and one previously decent emax 1806. Not a single successful event without trashing the laminations. There's a few tricks to do this correctly, and a lot more ways to screw it up. After an evening of failures, the brother hobby motors don't seem so expensive anymore. Lol. Could I eventually get the knack for doing this... I'm sure I could..... I'm probably just not going to put In the necessary trail and error time. Ian444 - I respect your seemingly unending ability to end up in many of the same corners of the hobby that I find myself in - and to be there with more success than myself. I tip my hat to you sir.
Jul 18, 2017, 01:24 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Don't worry about the math too much. If you have say 14 turns on a 2300Kv motor and want say 3000Kv, then it's 2300/3000 x 14 = 10.7 turns so make it 11. Then find the thickest wire you can comfortably fit in there. Stator removal link here. That's all you really need to know.

In fact I tip my hat to you, your work and creativity is inspiring
Jul 24, 2017, 01:15 PM
Well I thank you on both accounts, both for the compliments and the link. You do some excellent write ups. I may go for it after all now. Your instructions for tube frames also are compelling me to want to give that a try as well! Looks like a winning combo!