DYS BE1806 Thrust Tests - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jul 02, 2014, 07:37 AM
Hey guys,

My current mini is a diatone 250 with cage. I use the RCX 1804 2400kv motors with 5030 2 blade props. With fpv gear and 1300mah battery my total weight is around 540g. It goes ok, but is a bit lacking in power (shes a bit heavy). Thinking of upgrading the motors eventually. If I were to switch to the DYE BE1806 motors, same 5030 props and everything, would I notice a big difference? They seem to be pretty powerful for the price.

Cheers.
Last edited by Datacide; Jul 02, 2014 at 08:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2014, 08:06 AM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Yea, I like the RCX motors but the AUW needs to stay under 450grams.
From Mustang's data on the first page the BE1806 should be a good bit better on your quad.
I'd also run HQ5040 props if you can not go to 6inch props.

Note: the RCX motors run the HQ5040 props just fine and do have a little more thrust than the GF5030's. Maybe give you a try.
Jul 02, 2014, 08:43 AM
RCX 1804 motors are anemic all around when you compare them to any of the 1806 size options. It is just an apple to orange comparison.

When you start flying north of 450 grams, I encourage the use of a 1806 size motor (DYS BE1806, EMAX MT1806, or RCTimer HP1806) as they make 22mm class thrust up to a 6030 prop without the weight penalty of larger motors which are under utilized.

You're looking at roughly 1700 grams of total thrust available to you, with a 1806 motor and GemFan 5030 props, which gets you to almost 3.5 to 1 power to weight ratio. Exceeding the "minimum" 2:1 ratio helps to boost efficiency because less current is needed to maintain hover and you over all use less throttle to achieve speeds you're comfortable with. Then as your experience and skill go up, you have more power on hand to utilize for grin inducing speeds.

Run a 1806 size ~2300KV motor up to 700 grams before you need to consider more power from a 22 size motor running a six or seven inch props or stepping up to 4S power.
Jul 02, 2014, 09:55 AM
Thanks Mustang,

I think I will go this route.

cheers.
Jul 07, 2014, 02:56 PM
Where in the weeds? Over here?
Alright Mustang7302, I have my order in for a set of 4 DYS 1806 motors despite their gold-orange color. I'm going to put them on a FPV250 frame. Maybe I can find another suitable quad frame that will let me run 6" propellers!
Jul 07, 2014, 02:58 PM
I placed an order for these motors as well, there is too much bad press about the rctimer 1806. hopefully these motors will not have the sync issues like the sunnyskies
Jul 07, 2014, 03:15 PM
Firmware Fiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolD
I placed an order for these motors as well, there is too much bad press about the rctimer 1806. hopefully these motors will not have the sync issues like the sunnyskies
Got a link to the "bad press"? Most of what I've seen is the result of user error/ignorance. The people who have gotten these who know what they're doing have reported decent results.
Last edited by The Quasar; Jul 07, 2014 at 03:33 PM.
Jul 07, 2014, 03:30 PM
Glad everyone is finding the information helpful! They're a lot of fun to fly and from light weight crafts up to most bloated FPV crafts. Currently my go to motor option when they're in stock for new builds.

I will be testing the new Multistar 2206 this week, thanks to someone being kind enough to send me one to test.
Jul 07, 2014, 03:34 PM
Firmware Fiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang7302
Glad everyone is finding the information helpful! They're a lot of fun to fly and from light weight crafts up to most bloated FPV crafts. Currently my go to motor option when they're in stock for new builds.

I will be testing the new Multistar 2206 this week, thanks to someone being kind enough to send me one to test.
Awesome--looking forward to that.
Jul 07, 2014, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quasar
Got a link to the "bad press"? Most of what I've seen is the result of user error/ignorance. The people who have gotten these who know what they're doing have reported decent results.
Rctimer 1806 2300kv mini review! (1 min 29 sec)

same guy
Rctimer 1806 2300kv mini review 2 (2 min 14 sec)

totally different guy ( this one actually worries me)
RCTIMER FAULTY 2400KV MOTORS (10 min 50 sec)
Jul 07, 2014, 05:08 PM
Firmware Fiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolD
Can't watch the videos just yet since I'm at work, but do you know if either of these guys bothered to oil the motors before use. I've heard of several people neglecting to do this properly, and then claim the motors were crap cuz they failed.
Jul 07, 2014, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Can't watch the videos just yet since I'm at work, but do you know if either of these guys bothered to oil the motors before use. I've heard of several people neglecting to do this properly, and then claim the motors were crap cuz they failed.
that could be an explanation, but I don't really want to cancel my dys order and get the rctimers just because they look better

my first batch of sunnysky motors run great even after many crashes, even without oiling them till date. however the recent batch of sunnyskies totally lack quality control I had to tighten the grub screws, oil the motor and even adjust the play in the shaft and after all that due to user error they got iron filings inside and are totally useless.
Jul 08, 2014, 12:54 PM
Here's a bad review for you too.... I was pretty happy with my RCX motors until one of them started dragging real bad. I oiled it and then it wouldn't spin at all. Four magnets broke loose. I'm looking forward to trying the DYS.
Name: magnets.jpg
Views: 311
Size: 206.4 KB
Description: RCX motors
Jul 08, 2014, 01:12 PM
Firmware Fiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by kah00na
Here's a bad review for you too.... I was pretty happy with my RCX motors until one of them started dragging real bad. I oiled it and then it wouldn't spin at all. Four magnets broke loose. I'm looking forward to trying the DYS.
Attachment 6915243
We're talking about a different motor--the RCT 1806s. I also have some RCX 1804s that I've been flying hard for several months, and that have seen their fair share of spills, and they're still tickin'.
Jul 08, 2014, 02:49 PM
Quote:
We're talking about a different motor--the RCT 1806s. I also have some RCX 1804s that I've been flying hard for several months, and that have seen their fair share of spills, and they're still tickin'.
Doh! My bad. Overall I've been pretty happy with the RCX motors. I have a replacement coming on the slow boat. I am anxious to see how much different the DYS motors perform. From the statistics I've seen, it should be significant.