Apr 06, 2004, 03:56 PM
Props and Baby Food!
Thread OP
Cool

FINALLY! I got my own AP shots!

I didn't have time to get my battery packs to full charge, so I couldn't really get all that high up long enough to cut throttle and shoot, but the important thing was, that I got the SS up in the air and took my first set of REAL, nice and clear, aerial shots!
I couldn't be more excited!
Credit goes to all of you for your tips and tricks.. and not just the ones that spoke to me directly, but ALL of you for posting your experiences!
I'm planning on going back out after work, and flying out of our parking lot to take some pictures of the TV station I work at here in Florence, SC. I've got the charger battery charging, and will definitly get those packs at full peak before I get out there...

This first picture was my favorite.. I guess because since it was my first "real" AP outing, I accidentally got a shot of me and my wingman! Pretty cool, in my opinion. I'm in the top, in the dirt...
(sorry to report, he crashed his pretty severely about 15 minutes after this photo was taken)
Last edited by tdavis; Apr 06, 2004 at 04:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2004, 03:59 PM
Props and Baby Food!
Thread OP
This was actually an attempt at framing... but I'm going to have to add that it was luck that I actually got him that close to center.. Electrician working just outside the ball park... He was very excited to watch the two planes flying around..

I'll try to get some of the TV station online tonight..

Thanks again guys!

Trey
Apr 06, 2004, 04:20 PM
MX
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
You need to give that guy in the bucket truck a copy of that
picture. That way you can give him a call next time your plane is
in a tree.

MX
Apr 06, 2004, 04:24 PM
Props and Baby Food!
Thread OP
That REALLY might not be a bad idea!
Apr 06, 2004, 07:33 PM
...in the skies...
Congratulations. Downloading that first good aerial photo and watching it come up on your screen is quite a buzz. I'll always remember my first shot, it was.... (rest of reminiscence deleted to avoid boring all of you!)

BTW, what camera are you using (or did you say)? How's it mounted? How are you triggering it?

Quote:
Originally posted by MX
You need to give that guy in the bucket truck a copy of that picture. That way you can give him a call next time your plane is in a tree.
What a cynic! You mean "if your plane is ever in a tree," right?!

-- Kevin
Apr 06, 2004, 08:20 PM
Props and Baby Food!
Thread OP
no, I'm sure I'll get attacked by one of those plane-eaters one day! haha...

The camera is the Aiptek SD... the mount is, well, was, a home-made balsa mount that velcro-ed to the bottom of the battery pack, then I had 2 sided velcro strips securing everything... the mount has broken twice on less than perfect landings.. I'm having a real hard time building a sturdy mount.. Anyway, on the landing of that flight, it broke again... So I'm going back to the drawing board...

I have a servo mounted on the side of the camera, and plugged in to the landing gear channel of my receiver. When I tap the gear down, it triggers the shutter, then I have to flip the switch back to release it.
Apr 06, 2004, 08:39 PM
Sink Ends Thermal Delights
Congrats on the AP...Cool shot of the lineman! addictive isn't it?

My maiden was this past weekend and it was a blast!

Barstool has a thead "simple mount" I think...I used his design with very good success.
Apr 06, 2004, 09:17 PM
...in the skies...
Quote:
Originally posted by Puget Sound Flyer
Barstool has a thead "simple mount" I think...I used his design with very good success.
Here's Bar-Stool's thread:
Cheep & EZ Camera mount for Slowstick

The servo method is good if you can keep the camera from going to sleep. Have you ever thought of an electronic switch?

I'm going to have to write up the details on my own mount some time. Here's a pic.

-- Kevin

Quick Reply