This thread is privately moderated by FrozenPilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 04, 2014, 05:14 AM
RC @ Extreme Temperatures
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Installing MissionPlanner 1.3.X on Ubuntu 17.04

Based on clean Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus, desktop installation. Both i386 and amd64 versions tested.

1. Install mono (.net environment for linux)

The default mono version in ubuntu repositories is ancient. Mission Planner needs something > 3.0. So we need a newer version, from here. Open a Terminal and add the repository:
Code:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
sudo apt-get update
Then install either currently needed packages by command:
Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-runtime libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil libmono-system-xml-linq4.0-cil libmono-system-management4.0-cil libmono-system-web4.0-cil libmono-corlib4.5-cil libmono-system-numerics4.0-cil festival
or if you have plenty of spare disk space, install all mono libraries (to be sure, everything is included for future MP versions) with command:
Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete festival
Festival is not part of the mono, but is used to enable speech output for MP.

2. Set User Rights

A normal user has no rights to connect the APM/***hawk on a ubuntu machine. One has to add the user to dialup group. This can be done in Xubuntu through Settings -> Users and Groups-> Advanced Settings -> User Privileges -> Use modems.

Logout & login is needed before user permissions are updated.

3. Download MissionPlanner.zip

Download ZIP version (not the .msi installer) of MissionPlanner from Ardupilot web pages. Currently this can be downloaded from: ardupilot.org -> Downloads -> Missionplanner - ZIP.

Currently (with Ubuntu 17.04) the latest clean install ZIP-version working with Mono seems to be 1.3.30. The later versions give errors from some Speech library. However this version can be upgraded to a working latest version through Help-page upgrade buttons.

Extract the zip packet to some suitable directory.

4. Running Mission planner over mono

Now you can test the installation in terminal by entering the directory with MissionPlanner files and running command:
Code:
mono MissionPlanner.exe
If everything seems to be running ok, make a desktop launcher with the previous command and working directory set to the MissionPlanner directory.

This Mini-HowTo was tested with Xubuntu 14.04, 15.04, 15.10 and 16.10, i386 and AMD64 versions and with MissionPlanner 1.3.1-1.3.48
Last edited by FrozenPilot; May 19, 2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: BETA updated version seems to be working.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2015, 01:29 PM
Internet Pilot
Dear FrozenPilot,

Is it possible to do this on a Raspi b+?
I am trying but im not good with linux.
I do not know if I can do it on a pi with ArchLinux or Raspbian or Pidora
Mar 07, 2015, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Sorry, I'm late with my reply, but I haven't logged in to my RcGroups account for a couple of months.

Well, I don't have a Rasberry Pi. Might be getting version 2 some day, but currently I have no experience on that.

I'm running this setup also on my Atom based Acer Aspire One, so the Pi might have enough power to run the SW. Rasbian (I think this is also debian based) might have a similar program installation method, but the repository should have correct packets for the distribution. So the repository mentioned above propably does not work. The default Rasbian repositories might only have Mono v2.x or something. The worst case scenario is to compile the new enough mono version from source.

So I can't tell you similar "copy and paste" instructions for Pi, but basically the similar steps should work.
- Install mono-complete 3.x
- Set enough user rights, if not logged in as a root
- Download and unzip latest Missionplanner.zip
- Run the MissionPlanner.exe with mono

I think google finds some instructions to the first step for Pi. A ready made binary packet is always the easiest and fastest way, but if not available, compiling from source is always a great introduction to the magical world of Linux
Apr 27, 2015, 12:30 AM
With Ubuntu LTS (14.04) I was able to run most recent Mission Planner release via FrozenPilot's directions . Mavlink and direct USB to APM flight controller all work as per conventional Windows system.

Only hick-up was that I am unable to get my desktop shortcut to work. When I click on it, I can see the terminal screen momentarily opening then quickly shutting itself down. However, everything works if you open Terminal and enter cmd line " mono MissionPlanner.exe "
May 16, 2015, 08:04 PM
Excellent post!

Additionally
1 - For those who use other desktops, install "'old' gnome users and groups"
http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718...ers-and-groups

2 - I had to run it like sudo (sudo mono MissionPlanner.exe).

Otherwise program would crash after connecting device

and another question

IS IT POSSIBLE TO STOP THE ANNOYING BEEP????
Last edited by paschoaal; May 16, 2015 at 08:45 PM.
May 24, 2015, 01:42 PM
Thread OP

User rights

Ok, seems like the basic Ubuntu with Unity desktop has different kind user permission management nowadays. I used the original Ubuntu from 5.04 to 10.10, but never got used to that Unity stuff. The old Gnome with Compiz and desktop cube was nice and practical. But then they had to follow the Windows 8 mistake and make the PC desktop look similar to Pad interface. So I changed to Xfce and have been quite happy with that. Though the current hardware could run a lot more eye candy on the desktop, I used to like the simple windows and fast responsiveness.

So with the Xfce I haven't had any troubles executing mono and MissionPlanner as a normal user, without sudoing. But if there are problems with other desktop managers, feel free to suggest additional steps to the guide.

And Paschoaal, can you please specify, what annoying beep?

I'm really happy to see this RCGroups blog test of mine has been useful to someone, other than me upgrading to the next Ubuntu version with clean install.
Jul 30, 2015, 09:23 PM
Hi guys,

I've been a frequenter of RC Groups for a while without being a member and this is my first post.
This is probably the most helpful post I've stumbled across with regard to running mission planner on Raspberry Pi. I was just wondering g how you guys are getting on with it. I'm looking into the 2 B in a bid to turn it into a dedicated ground station. For Mission Planner (not APM). I have no Linux or programming experience so any guidance is much appreciated. And I apologise for any stupid frustrating questions in advance.

Many thanks.
Aug 22, 2015, 02:07 PM
Nooob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktrpilot
Hi guys,

I've been a frequenter of RC Groups for a while without being a member and this is my first post.
This is probably the most helpful post I've stumbled across with regard to running mission planner on Raspberry Pi. I was just wondering g how you guys are getting on with it. I'm looking into the 2 B in a bid to turn it into a dedicated ground station. For Mission Planner (not APM). I have no Linux or programming experience so any guidance is much appreciated. And I apologise for any stupid frustrating questions in advance.

Many thanks.
There is a distribution of Ubuntu that runs on the RPi2. Flash that on a spare SD card and follow the directions above. Not sure why you would want to do this however. Best to have a full PC with Ubuntu on it for the extra processing power. If you have a PC laying around, maybe older hardware that you aren't using any longer, load it with Lubuntu rather than Ubuntu.
Aug 22, 2015, 02:52 PM
Nooob
I couldn't get the shortcut to work either in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. But I want to add that the updated method for install mono is found here:

http://www.mono-project.com/docs/get...install/linux/

Code:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
sudo apt-get update
Sep 15, 2015, 06:58 AM

Do you know Odroid?

It seems to be more efficient then Pi...

i was searching something to install mission plane on linux, so i found it. Already working, and after this post i'll install and get feedbacks here.

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/produ...=G143452239825

Last edited by thiago_liveira; Sep 15, 2015 at 07:05 AM.
Oct 23, 2015, 12:36 AM
Closed Account
Thank you. These instructions are very useful!
They helped me install Mission Planner on Debian 8.2.
Dec 10, 2015, 01:23 AM

Desktop Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean Boucher
...... Only hick-up was that I am unable to get my desktop shortcut to work. ....
Not sure how you set up your link, but I made a BASH script which is working well.

Put the following into a text file saved to your desktop.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
mono /path/to/your/copy/of/MissionPlanner.exe
This can be named anything (convention has ".sh" as an extension - but it is not required).
Make the file executable (right click, select "properties", select "permissions", tick "allow executing file as a program").

To run MP double click file icon and select "run in terminal".
Nov 17, 2016, 07:49 PM
I know this thread is old, but and I'm not using Ubuntu. I got MissionPlanner-1.3.41 to work in Porteus v3.2 (Slackware Linux) it run off of a 8GB USB Live is what I'm using.

The only files I added or used was.

1. MissionPlanner-1.3.41.zip
2. mono-4.6.1.3-x86_64-1_slonly.txz or mono-4.6.1.3-x86_64-1_slonly.xzm (Porteus)
3. libgdiplus-4.2-x86_64-1_slonly.txz or libgdiplus-4.2-x86_64-1_slonly.xzm (Porteus)

It works great if you need any help send a PM and I will try and help.
May 07, 2017, 10:25 AM
@Rejean Boucher I am attempting to do this setup on Ubuntu 14.04 but I am getting Utilities.Speech errors:

FATAL Program - Fatal app exception
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'MissionPlanner.Utilities.Speech' from assembly 'MissionPlanner.Utilities, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) MissionPlanner.MainV2:.ctor ()
at MissionPlanner.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x005ef] in <f3fa022404f84f6f87ecbf3f76f088bf>:0
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'MissionPlanner.Utilities.Speech' from assembly 'MissionPlanner.Utilities, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) MissionPlanner.MainV2:.ctor ()
at MissionPlanner.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x005ef] in <f3fa022404f84f6f87ecbf3f76f088bf>:0

Do you recall how you dealt with this?
May 19, 2017, 02:50 PM
Thread OP

System.Speech issue

I have been busy about one and a half year, so I haven't had time for my multicopter hobby and the copters has been stuffed to a couple of storage boxes.

But now, when the weather is warming up and the summer seems to be closer, I took some time to clean the dust from the equipment, charge the batteries and upgrade the firmware setups before the flight.

So I tried to setup the latest Mission Planner on the current Ubuntu Release (17.04) and ended up to the same problem that kostkar found out. Made some googling and with my quite poor programming skills I suppose, the problem is somehow in some speech library, that apparently is part of the Microsoft .NET environment, but is not or only poorly supported in the Mono.

So I made some research with the previous Mission Planner versions and found out, that the latest version that is working with clean installation in the current Ubuntu & Mono versions is the version 1.3.30 from about a year ago. However, with that version, if I choose the BETA updates from the Help-page the Mission Planner upgrades itself to a working version 1.3.48. Maybe something that Mono needs is missing from the latest installation ZIPs?
Last edited by FrozenPilot; May 19, 2017 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply