Apr 06, 2004, 11:11 AM
Thread OP

Profile GeeBee model D Sportster

Here is a profile GeeBee Model D that I found a rough plan of online (Skylock Models I believe). I resized, cleaned, and reformatted it to a profile plane.

I have built a very successful glider based on this, and now I would like to turn it over to the community for debugging. I did try a 30 in version with a IPS Dual and an e-tec 700 2s, but it was completely unmanagable (I suspect too much right/down thrust) it wanted to roll left. at 6 oz, I fear that its wings may have been too loaded.

Take a look and see if it is worth messing with.

Al

p.s.
it is a zipped bmp, so windows users can just load it into MSPaint, and it will print it in tiles.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks Al, hopefully some of the foam builders will download it and improve on it.
Apr 06, 2004, 07:13 PM
Foam rules
Al, love it, might need just a tick more vertical stab but all in all it should be a real winner. Can't wait to see it done. That plan is screaming for some of Hippo's white fan fold.

Needs 3" dihedraul each tip, 1.5 degree's positive incidence in the wing, 1/4 - 3/8 wash out at the tips, at least a double thick fuse. and it should really kick butt. 2 down 2 right on the motor.
Last edited by Thatovalguy; Apr 06, 2004 at 07:17 PM.
Apr 06, 2004, 07:31 PM
Thread OP

Vertical

Hmmm... maybe that vertical stab enlargement would help with the tendency to roll. and the extra dihedral.

I think I will just print and cut another at this larger size and have another go.

I did double the fuse, but I didn't lay any washout on the tips.

The white foam would be a blessing for this guy, then the blue trim would be easier to achieve, and look better.

Welp, I am off to build another, with your suggestions.
Al
Apr 06, 2004, 07:38 PM
Foam rules
Al it just screams fly me. It just has to be a great one in the air, just has to. The twin is it a A gear? Anyway, what ever gearing it is use a high pitch prop cause its going to need the prop speed.
Apr 07, 2004, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
It is an S-2 gear I think.

Again, the glider version flies beautifully, 75 foot glides from a gentle push.

here's a picture of the glider.

Al

p.s.
I should have another version based on your suggestions ready tomorrow.
Apr 07, 2004, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
heres a pic of the one I geared up, after a couple of crashes.
Apr 08, 2004, 02:46 PM
Foam rules
Al finally got to print out the plans. Everything I said before, a little taller vertical stab and you should add to the horizontal stab in span, its a little small for the wing area. I'm figuring about 1/4" taller vertical and about at least 2" total to the horizontal stab. On the 30" span 2 1/2 - 3 inch each tip for rudder and elevator operation will do fine. Like I said just screaming for someone to fly her. If I get time in the next week I put it to cad. Hope to get some time between filling kits and Easter to build one. I think I'm going with a 26" version using a LPS RXC A or C gearing. So the way its working out, start printing instruction sheets for the kits, cut my zlin 24 and your geebee out. Start the back side of the instructions and glue together the planes. Maybe one of them will see gear tonight if I get the instructions stapled together, and it will more than likely be the geebee cause the guys at the hanger will really love it on Saturday, plus its on the slower side which they love too. Now how to make the wheels functional.
Apr 09, 2004, 09:05 AM
Foam rules
Well here is where I am. The thing is screaming for radio gear.
Apr 09, 2004, 12:14 PM
Thread OP

Too Cool

Yours looks very nice, I like the landing gear.
I am dying to to see how it flies with your changes.

Is the the new Hippo Foam?
Al
Apr 09, 2004, 08:28 PM
Foam rules
No I wish it was but its zepron form NY Blimp. He gave me a bunch to try at Bowling Green last Saturday so I figured I'd try it out. I actually think its OK but like Hippo's white fan fold much better. Zepron seems more spongier than depron which makes it less brittle but more plyable. I bent the wing like I would do with FFF. The thing is it seems heavier. But for this model white was the ticket.

Another confession, the only thing I did was add dihedraul all other dimentions stayed like the print. I mean I scaled it down to 26" span but other than dihedraul nothing else is differant. Figured I'd start at square one and go from there.
Apr 10, 2004, 10:53 PM
Foam rules
Al, it flies, with issue's but flies well. If you add 3/8"-1/2" to the vertical and 1" to the horizontal it should be a great flier along with 3" dihedraul and washout.

My spec's
26" span
4.75 oz
LPS RXC A-gear 7060 prop
7.4v 340 lipoly

Flew it last night under the lights in the school parking lot than 4x's today at the hanger. Everyone loved it as it looks really great in the air. I'm gonna leave mine the way it is as I like the work out I get flying it. Needs 1/4 throttle during landing or it just stalls on flare as I didn't round off anything.

Thanks
Apr 10, 2004, 10:58 PM
Foam rules
Oh buy the way I really don't like this zepron either. Just like depron little dings and it cracks where fan fold would just laugh at it.
Apr 11, 2004, 10:19 AM
Thread OP

Nice

I got side tracked this week and have not built a thing, had to rebuild a server, and that took all of the awake time I had. I am building today, and I hope to be able to try this bird out.
Al

p.s.
The scallops on the LE and Fuse for the model D were blue
Apr 11, 2004, 10:21 AM
Foam rules
Ah it looks dam good anyway.

Quick Reply