FrSky Taranis with OpenTX 2.0 and beyond - RC Groups
Jun 03, 2014, 12:14 AM
Discussion

FrSky Taranis with OpenTX 2.0 and beyond

NEW TARANIS PLUS OWNERS READ:
(Added April 2016)

In the time since this thread and many others were initiated the method of connecting the FrSky Radios had been vastly improved. While the old method still works - it causes considerable confusion and really was a cluster from the get go. If your Tarnis bootloader is version 2.0.16 or later you can ignore all references to needing Zadig and connecting the Transmitter turned OFF.

Once a radio has Version 2.0 or beyond you connect using "The Bootloader". To put the radio into Bootloader mode you do the following.

1. With the radio OFF press together the two horizontal trim switches such that the right switch is pressed left and the left switch is pressed right.

2. While holding the trim switches in this position turn the radio on and then release the trim switches. - You are now in Bootloader mode.

3. Connect the Radio to the computer with a USB cable.

4. Two drives will mount - One is called "TARANIS" - Stay out of this one. The other will have no name but will include a series of folders including, BMP, EPROMS,FIRMWARES,LOGS, MODELS, SCRIPTS, and SOUNDS. This is the microSD card in the Taranis.

5. Use OpenTX Companion to make any changes to your EEPE (file with all radio settings you set).
"Beware. Using Companion to write new Models and Settings to the radio will overwrite the calibration settings. To avoid this, it is good practice to download the Models and Settings from the radio, edit them and then write them back to the radio. You can have two sets of these open in Companion at the same time and copy and paste between them. You should make dated copies of these changes on your PC."

6. VERY IMPORTANT - Don't disconnect the radio from the USB without first using the safe disconnect for both the TARANIS drive and the Drive for the microSD in the Taranis. (Disconnection without doing "safe" disconnect will corrupt the directory which doesn't show up immediately, but may ruin the microSD card. Most often first symptoms of a corrupted directors are sounds behaving badly). Images @ https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2686

7. You MUST setup Companion to download the correct version of firmware BEFORE DOWNLOADING the firmware or you'll be freaked out when you try to start up your transmitter after updating to the new firmware. (relax it can be fixed). See the attachment below.

Update to my update (April 24, 2016)
New Quick Start Guide is now available for download @ http://open-txu.org/home/v2-1-resour...k-start-guide/
It's currently available in English, French, and Finnish.

End of April 2016 Update
OpenTX 2.0.19 is now available HERE

You may want to take a look at the major update 2.1.8 available from http://www.open-tx.org/2016/04/14/opentx-2.1.8
If you upgrade to 2.1 you want to look carefully at the first post in this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...79&postcount=1

Just a note about version 2.1 and beyond. This is a MAJOR revision from 2.0.x and there are some major improvements, especially in the telemetry area. Version 2.1 uses a different version of Companion than 2.0 however both may be present on the computer at the same time. Another significant change when upgrading to 2.1.x is that the SYSTEM SOUNDS have a different numbering scheme. You can download the 2.1 sound pack from within Companion 2.1 Attached is a list of the changes from the Amber sounds to the sounds in 2.1.x. Alternate new sounds more closely matching the Amber pack are available @ https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34419536.

This thread is for the purpose of discussing the use of OpenTx 2.x on the FrSky Taranis. This thread is only for asking and answering questions about FrSky Taranis with OpenTX 2.0 (or beyond) or for posting neat ideas you have with the use of OpenTx 2.0 or 2.1.
  • It's not for hardware issues or mods - except as they pertain to the Firmware OpenTX 2.0 (and beyond).
  • It's not for comparing with other brands.
  • It's not for users who don't want to update their software to the most recent stable version.

Let's be civil and have a great time learning about this revolutionary Firmware. Especially good explanatory posts or ideas will be included in the second post below. Users who go to great lengths to help others will be recognized in the Hall of Fame.

NOW OPEN - OpenTX Univeristy (the term University is tongue in cheek)
OpenTX University is a site built by OpenTx users who want to help share their knowledge. Please check out this exciting resource - and if you've got the chops perhaps you can contribute as well. Welcome to "A Brave New World"

So where do you post hardware or hack questions or ideas or have general Taranis/OpenTx conversation? Check out these threads:

Watch Here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...rjFxMuIpMOJif0

Show the Developers some ♥♥♥Love HERE♥♥♥. These dudes built this awesome software on their own time when they could have been doing a zillion other things - but they were making our radio even better.

If you'll be setting up models in the transmitter rather than using CompanionTX then the Transmitter Script wizard may exciting to you. See http://www.open-tx.org/2014/06/02/lua-wizard/

GET AN ALTERNATE SD CARD IMAGE HERE (only for OpenTX 2.0.x -- 2.1 uses a different set of sounds
My version of the MicroSD card image is available HERE (updated 9/22/14 - now has LUA folders set for 2.0.12 and later) (let me know if link breaks)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nisMicroSD.zip
Last edited by scott page; Apr 24, 2016 at 11:19 PM. Reason: updates
to remove ads between posts

Table of Contents for noteable posts

Please feel free to PM me to submit posts you think should be included here

LUA Scripts
Last edited by scott page; Apr 06, 2016 at 11:10 PM.

Hall of Fame

CLICK HERE to see the Hall of Fame.
Last edited by scott page; Sep 11, 2014 at 12:56 AM.
Jun 03, 2014, 12:37 AM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Grabbing a seat up front.
Jun 03, 2014, 12:41 AM
So now with 2.0 released the 6 pos switch and heptic should work as intended correct?
Jun 03, 2014, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo
So now with 2.0 released the 6 pos switch and heptic should work as intended correct?
That remains to be seen. I have not put 2.0 on my Tx with the 6 pos switch yet. It will be interesting to see a report from one who has.

It's important for all who want to upgrade to realize that unless you've been using 1.99 -- the first time you write the 2.0 firmware to the Transmitter you need to do it the same was using Companion and connecting the Tx with it OFF.

Once that's been done to connect the Tx to the computer you will turn on the Tx while pressing the AIL and RUD switches to the center. You can then write firmware from the SD card - or plug in a USB and it will acknowledge the USB card and you'll have the microSD card in one drive, and the EEPROM stored in the No Touchy volume named "TARANIS".
Jun 03, 2014, 12:58 AM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Can you still write firmware to the Taranis using Companiontx after loading version 2 on or do you have to use the bootloader and the sd card.
Jun 03, 2014, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
Can you still write firmware to the Taranis using Companiontx after loading version 2 on or do you have to use the bootloader and the sd card.
Both methods work.
Jun 03, 2014, 01:02 AM
Fantastic, all the best for the new thread,

David

EDIT: now V2.0 no issues
Last edited by djmorgan; Jun 03, 2014 at 02:15 AM.
Jun 03, 2014, 01:04 AM
What's the point of the USB connected icon when plugging in the USB while the Tx is ON? Can't access anything that I can figure out.

Only way to access the files in Windows Explorer is to power up while holding the trimmer buttons to the center, then plugging in the USB cable. Don't see the point.

Anyway, I did that and got the LUA Wizard TEMPLATES folder installed on the Tx.
Jun 03, 2014, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2020
What's the point of the USB connected icon when plugging in the USB while the Tx is ON? Can't access anything that I can figure out.

Only way to access the files in Windows Explorer is to power up while holding the trimmer buttons to the center, then plugging in the USB cable. Don't see the point.
Good question. Would be best to address this directly to the developers who haunt this thread. http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5163 They are already planning 2.1 so might as well get it on the list.
Jun 03, 2014, 01:08 AM
Quote:

That is Joystick mode.
Jun 03, 2014, 01:11 AM
Is there a Companion9x Un-installer? Or do I just delete all those files from the Program Files Folder?
Jun 03, 2014, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamich
That is Joystick mode.
Thanks. If it had looked like a joystick it would have been more obvious.
Jun 03, 2014, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Is there a Companion9x Un-installer? Or do I just delete all those files from the Program Files Folder?
There is an uninstall program in C:/Program Files (x86)/companion9x

It's likely that CompanionTx has it's configuration set to: C:/Program Files (x86)/companion9x/dfu-util.exe
(Mine did)

If the Companion9x folder is deleted uou'll need to change the companionTX configuration to C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenTX/dfu-util.exe